Ghouar Khatra Ben Salek
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ghouar Khatra Ben Salek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ghouar Khatra Ben Salek

Quick paint job in PS, with some painter. At least pretty quick for me.
    Used ref. Title= Name of Man.

Please rip apart, want me eyes opened.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The face looks really well done, with textures and all. What this picture lack is more contrast! The turban is incredibly flat, because this far, it's just a huge black lump. Use more shades, and add more highlighting to the face. This could turn out really good if you work more with the contrasts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the above speaker on all the things she stated.
    For example, I tried to add some highlights just so you would see what I mean at least, I may not be the best on this but anyway, it's a good way to bring focus to one part of an image (though I went with the highlights a bit all over it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks great. The texture feels very convincing. I don't think that adding more highlights is the way to go with this pic, maybe something bright in the background would be interesting? Perhaps he's sitting under a roof and there's a marketplace behind him?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks folks, I wish I could show you the refrence pic and make it easier for you. Yes, I too was tempted to go with highlights, and still am, but I felt that it took away from the somberness of the face. Here are another two, but they are also lacking of contrast. I've tried to make a little bit of a transition in the background for one of them, and also tried to lightly accentuate the turban. I'm not doing these for finished pieces though, so while I'll definitely keep in mind the crits I'm also leaving them as they are and keep their shortcomings in mind, a trail of progression. I give myself 2 hours at most to do each, trrying to get faster with my painting.
    Much Obliged.

Done primarily in Painter.

Done in Photoshop.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    excellent stuff. Really great modeling of the face. Really the only crit I'd offer is to beef up the contrast a bit. Boost that value range so that we're not staring into a flat, overwhelmingly dark image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enjoying these, especially the middle one.

While the detail rendering is quite lovely, I feel like the underlying structure of the head isn't quite there. For instance, in the first one, if I cover up the top half of the face (from between the nose and eyes) it looks like it should be a MUCH larger head. In all three I feel like the nose points a little more straight at the viewer than the rest of the head does, that the distance from nose to top lip is just a touch exaggerated, and that the mouth doesn't quite place right in the face. Very, very close, but not quite.

The black turbans, with the hint of rendering, really flatten out. Which can be cool and graphic, but makes things a bit harder. If you render them a touch of volume, it'll make the rest of the drawing easier for you. If you want to keep them flat and graphic, cool, but the underlying structure of the head has to be that much stronger to keep the turban from flattening it out.

Quickies or no, the clothing needs just a touch more work to unify the pics.

Now, all said, all three of these pieces have a wonderful sense of presence. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet Jason, thanks for the crits. MUCH apreciated. Unfortunately I just read your post and had already done this puppy below, Regardless, will keep the feedback in mind. Tried for a little more contrast, will continure to push it while keeping it humble, it's just difficult because it begins to loose that grounded feeling. Got to figure it out better.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe at least lighten the background a bit so the faces don't blend in so much. Good work from what I can see.

Also it's very hard to see at this size because you (or at least I) have to scroll up and down to see the image.
    Try to stick to around 800x600 in size

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.