>>>>>>portfolio Review Thread & Rules<<<<<<<<

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

>>>>>>portfolio Review Thread & Rules<<<<<<<<

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE SUBMITTING ARTWORK, NEW RULES HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED

The Portfolio Review Thread was designed for amatuer artist to display their artwork as a unified body in order to help them enhance their over presentation and level of artwork. I would love for this review to happen twice a year. Once in the beginning of the year and another in the middle around mid June. Each person submitting their portfolio should have a minimum of 10 up to a maximum of 12 artworks.

Presentation is key, the idea of this is to present your portfolio as you would a prospective client or college. The contents of your portfolio is entirely up to the specific individual BUT! you are not allowed to show and sketches unless they are combined with other sketches or are done in a professional manner with a purpose and the purpose not being to fill space. Sizes is up are up to the artist. I would generally say we should display them smaller so that we dont have enormous artworks taking up massive space on this thread (and I don't want Jason to curse me out for this one). IF you have an artwork that needs to be large to really appreciate it, then please post a large version of it. Also, it is vital to include your age, what your current portfolio is for and what are your specific goals in art.

Everyone is encouraged to post their comments about an artist portfolio but, the professionals are highly encouraged. I would love to have as many professional artist help out here. You are the guiding force of these forums. We look to you for inspiration, guidence and information to the careers many of us want to take one day. So, please help us out. Give us your crits and comments and please be very "real" about them. I would also love for the professional to give a grade like in school with A+ being the best. Having that said I hope many people participate and I wish you all the best of luck in the new year and in your future careers.

Last edited by vigostar; January 11th, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great ideas Vigostar. I would love for this to happen. It would be great to have my portfolio reviewed by pro's. Their advice would be invaluable.

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great, and I'm in if thats the case!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, we gotta keep this thread going so that more people view it... so, far the response has been minimal. so, if we get more people interested then I can make a call for the pros to volunteer their services

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a bad idea, getting pros to commit is prolly pretty hard, but a general rolling thread of portfolio review is probably not a bad idea, maybe jes take the non pro advice with a grain of salt, as it prolly takes more experience to crit something like that then lets say the lighting on a dudes forehead.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im definatley in!
    Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so what about this..... Lets say we take Red Rooks advice and do a rolling portfolio review. Anyone is free to comment and the pros are very encouraged to do so. Lets, limit it to a 10 piece portfolio. Size limits??? Actual material in the portfolio is up to the individual artist but, it MUST have a professional look to it. How does this sound? Should there be a submission stating date? To allow people to gather material or shall we start it now and let people submit work as they go?

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can reserve a spot now (assuming this happens), I'm in. I'm pulling together some new stuff as I type this. Would be great to get a better idea of where I stand in the world, since I haven't been on many interviews.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    could it be set up as a new section of the site, like the It's Finished or Lounge are sections? That seems like the most logical way to do it. Of course I don't know a damn thing about running a message board, so maybe that's alot of trouble. dunno

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, keep the ideas coming people.... We would need a mods help on this one.. Maybe they would be able to give better ideas on how to effectively make this happen and run smoothly. Thinking about this further this whole idea could roll in conjucntion with some of the ideas the admins had for the future of CA like the classes that were going to take place on the boards... This may be a nice set-up for something like that. I just think that there are alot of talented people on these boards and I feel that there are some that are very close to branching off and start getting paid for their work but, certain things need focusing on or their presentation is lacking.

So keep those ideas coming peeps...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea, I like the idea of having it as a new section like sketchbooks, but for portfolios, like Tfk suggested, where everyone can make crits/comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I think it'd be cool if there was a whole section for it, with each portfolio having its own thread. That way all the crits and comments could be kept nice and clean and not get jumbled up everywhere.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, and limit the number of works posted to like 10-20, and have them all In the firts post. then comments and crits after that. Sounds really cool!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a great Idea, but I see it getting very clustered, and much like the finished section, people posting subpar work on a not uncommon basis. You can't prove whether someone is applying to college or not really, so It'll be a hard say there. I think the prerequisite should be having posted at least ONE piece of art in the FF section, and having more than 15 responses from different people, none of which were controversial to whether the topic belonged there or not. It would be a pain to search for that too, but would be a good restricter AND motivator for most people. Is there a way to make people read the FAQ before they are allowed to post a thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Im up for whatever is going to work the most effeciently. I would love to hear any ideas on this subject Manley may have or any of the admins. We have moderators for specific sections why not have some moderators that would play reviewer also.??? I dont expect for the reviewer to go into a very detailed review. i guess thats where the masses of people from this forum could come in... There are alot of pros on these forums that comment on work on a daily basis. What we can do is have all the sublissions in by a certain day. So, that it caps the amount of people submitting artwork and then maybe have another mid-year review so that others have another chance to show their portfolios and then again in the end of the year? Or maybe just in the beginning of in the middle.. i think we can make this happen.. so lets make it happen!!

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds good... Deadline Portfolio reviews, annually or semi-annually.

I see where you are comin from fat kid, but I know that alot of "Portfolios" will just be sketches put up by people who don't fully understand what the section is for. I know my suggestion is QUITE overbearing, even I don't fit the criteria- But I think if the pro's were to comment, it would be benficial to all of them if the person had a nice thorough understanding of what's what already, and has an actual Portfolio, not just a few assembled pieces JUST to get a review. I may be being naive or selfish here, but that's how I'd want it if I was encouraged to comment (as a working proffesional)- I mean, I would give plenty, providing I had the time, but I wouldn't want to wade through people who won't obtain full benefit from the comment. Time spent wisely is more what it's about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if you need help reviewing, im there.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree with that. GREAT IDEAS MONTH ON CA.ORG-

The art trading, now this? It's GREAT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what if to create a post in the portfolio section your post count had to be over a multiple of 200? say you can't post your first portfolio till you have posted at least 200 times...then you can't post a portfolio again until after 400, etc...should be pretty easy to program into the site me thinks. and it would keep out the pansies just wanting a quick review and putting up crap. if you're commited to CA then you'll invest in it (via posts) and then the pros or whomever will invest in you! (via a crit of your port.)

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id be in fer sure, and a "Best of" portfolio could be chosen as was done for some artists before on the main page. Seemed like a good idea but just kind of died off after Rubygenesis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds really good, but I dont think portfolio submission based on post count is a good idea, not only because it would mean I couldnt put mine up , but it might mean people just start posting utter crap all over the place. Other people might see it as kind of elitist as well, when post count really doesn't matter that much.....I'm not sure how much work it is to be an admin, but coudn't they just delete the ones that aren't suitable for the secition?

Whatever happens with this I think it's a great idea, and would definately benefit from feedback when my folio is ready.

Last edited by yAdam; January 6th, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the problem of submitting bad portofolios, that would "waste" the time of the professionals that would made themself available to review these portfolios I don't think that that is really a problem.
    I have never done a portfolio but I think it is something that needs some work and preparation and probably there wouldn't be a lot of people doing this just to show some sketches. And even if someone did that the reviewer wouldn't need more than 5 minutes to say it is bellow the standard he is available to evaluate and just dismiss it. It could be moved to the sketchbook section or something like that.
    I also don't think that post count would be a very good idea, I think it could increase the number of non-interesting posts.
    Just some thoughts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "there wouldn't be a lot of people doing this just to show some sketches"
    Sorry, but I beg to differ.

"the reviewer wouldn't need more than 5 minutes to say it is bellow the standard he is available to evaluate "
    This is opinional and wouldn't be fair to all participants, and 5 minutes is alot of time really. If they spent 5 minutes on every post, thats 6 reviews a half an hour. Maybe it's just me, but I imagine pros can at least type pretty fast...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that is true. But first of all, I think the initial idea was about three portfolios for each reviewer, I guess it would depend on their good-will and time to review, and I think it would be very pessimist to imagine every portfolio to be crap.
    Maybe there should be some more ideas about how to make a portfolio ellegible, I guess there will always have to be an evaluation.
    And about being opinional I think there is no way around that, what is happening is that some of us here are asking the great professionals here to be nice to us and review our portfolios and make some critiques and give us some advice. They would be doing us a favour so I guess they have the right to decide what they will do or not, since I dn't think there will be a payment involved.
    So if I made a portfolio for them to analyse and they looked 5 minutes to it and said: "I am sorry, this is really very bad and I don't have time to analyse it better, go learn to draw..." I wouldn't be very happy but when we do such thing we have to know how to take a critique however bad it is: we asked for it...
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, guys.. im glad that some people are taking a liking to this subject. The only other way around having people post sketches and junk are to seperate the skill levels... Those with two or three stars go in one thread, those with four in another and then theres those with five stars. If you are not "ranked" then most then try to get yourself ranked. Also, if or when we start this thread we can add something like we encourage EVERYONE to participate in the ranking of artist. I think this is the only way to effeciently run the show. Also, I think its important to say that sketches are allowed. I for one am planning on havning a page dedicated to Sketches and life drawings but keep in mind its all about presentation so its something that should def. be pleasing to the eye. Not just something that was slapped together in an instant. I think also once this is done that we can do a "best of" like someone mentioned and maybe a little spotlight on the front page would be nice. Nothing big something small that says something like "best rising star portfolios in 2005" or something to that effect and have a link. Then we can do a massive poll...

BTW- Thanks Dan for your help. Your very kind in always lending a hand. Im hoping some other big wigs step-up as well..

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing.... If i hear no word then im just going to go ahead and use what i think would work along with the ideas of others.... hopefully then some others will jump in

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vigo, I told you the idea is great for all us, who wants as much information as possible, it's the best thing that could happen, when you are looking for clues. But I don't see many pros responding, I saw DSillustration, it's very noble of him and great for us, but he will be teared apart, alone helping everybody. So I'm wondering if enough pros will be available .
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is a great idea and would be a great help to everybody. Particuarily those starting as freelancers, looking for jobs, or trying to get into schools. I hope the pro's have enough time to help on this but they have to put their work first. They wouldn't be pro's if they didn't.

DS Illustration - Its great of you to support this. You give alot of good support around ca already so i'm sure everbody would be very greatfull for your help.

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    View the rules on first post.

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool! Well, I dont have much of a portfolio right now, but I will definately have one by june (a couple of months before I hope). But just to clarify, where do those who want to post theirs post? In this thread right here? or create a new one somewhere? Also, good job for getting this going vigo..

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.