E.O.W Round 11: Europa - THE BIG VOTE!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite version of europa.

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • rawwad

10 19.23%
  • llothcat

2 3.85%
  • auden100

4 7.69%
  • Makk

1 1.92%
  • Sept13

1 1.92%
  • Sketchling

28 53.85%
  • gl0gg

6 11.54%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 11: Europa - THE BIG VOTE!

E.O.W Round 11: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC: Europa

Deadline For Voting: Teusday 10th January

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------

rawwad

battle of Europa

After World War III human kind colonised Jupiters and Saturns moons. Governments of remain states compromised on govern of new areas. No one want next war in this time. But after we founding new resources in raw materials, everything was broken. States created new Great Powers which started new wars. One of the most attacked place was Europa. Rich resources constricted wars to this land and Europas future existence was in danger.

llothcat

This is a natural spring on the moon europa. Liquid water is indeed on this moon, and so is an inner warmth, in the form of liquid rock. The combination often melts through the glacial ice ( which is made made up of various materials, including frozen water), or even causes the glacial ice to expand, causing vast "cracks". The differences in the internal and external temperatures cause the ice on the surface to reform over the liquid, resulting in tunnels such as this.

auden100

Humankind finally makes it to Europa. Sending a 2 man team in with a submersible craft, their mission is to explore the close-to-surface waters, and investigate minerals and possible lifeforms. The crevasse they choose serves as conduit for rising warmer water, and with the sparse sunlight provides a habitat for a number of flora. It also serves as home to a strange serpentine lifeform, leading to the first, inevitable confrontation between man and aliens.

Makk

Deep under the planet of Europa's surface there lies a vast underground ocean filled with many rock and cave formations. Living amongst the rocks is believed to be an ancient alien race.

Sept13

In 2090 the humankind entered into a new age; the age of colonization. After a succesfully operational fusion reactor was build, the world superpowers as USA, Europe, China and India began a common "Space exploitation" program.

After 20 years of working together, the nations began to split up. USA and Europe concentrated on Mars together while India dropped out from the Space exploitation program. The people's republic of China itself had it's eyes on the moons of Jupiter, especially on Europa.

The succesfull mining of Helium-3 from the underwaters of Europas moon granted the people's republic of China lead in the devolpment of renewable energy.

sketchling

The harnessing of zero point energy was the turning point for civilisation as we knew it, for, with such limitless energy at our disposal, even the icy crust of Europa could team with human life. It was the vast mineral wealth that first drew settlers to cling to the Europa's frozen wastes, but with time, many came simply to see Jupiter reflected in an endless shattered mirror of ice.

gl0gg

While it seemed like a grand adventure to go to Europa, it really just took a couple of hours for the crew in the survival dome to get bored. All they do now until relieve is sending prank morsecode-signals to possible aliens around and arranging farting contests.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was torn between Rawwad and Sketchling....

Sketching's does a great job of working a city/civilization into the existing surface of the moon - and it's the only entry that is easily recognizable as Europa (with the distinctive criss-crossed pattern of cracks and fisures).

But in the end I had to go with Rawwad, the finesse of the lighting coupled with the dynamic composition really sold it for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of these are excellent but I had to go with sketchlings design. The rendering is amazing and the design is cool. (kinda reminds me of the painting of Geidi Prime from Lynch's Dune)

Great job everybody!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job guys, my vote fell on sketchling after lots of thought. Rawwad was close, very classic scifi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn this was a hard choice good work hommies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scetchling. hands down cleaned up. awesome entry as well though Rawwad.

funny gl0g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries, gotta go with Sketchling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    though a bit dark and not altogether clear as for what`s going on and what`s what, sketchling piece just poped out from the rest.
    the angle, the reflective icey surface, and the satellite/spaceship there just did it for me.
    good job.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Makk, that is all kickass. Good job! You got my vote at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    auden100 got my vote. strong composition and lighting, well-done "aqueous perspective," a risky but successfully used color palette.

sketchling's piece is in the most part very good but has two flaws that in my eyes really weaken it -- the surface of Jupiter has no banding, an essential part of its visual character (refs would be helpful in situations like this), and the reflection in the ice is just plain wrong -- well painted, but it doesn't follow the physics of reflected light, and makes it look to me more like the ice is translucent.

rawwad's battle scene is great but too far off-topic for me. if it had been set in low orbit over the moon, with greater attention to the distinctive Europan surface, it would've had my vote.

the expansiveness/loneliness of gl0gg's Europa is portrayed well, but the low level of surface detail and apparent atmosphere make it seem a bit too terrestrial to me.

i like the color use in llothcat's piece, but there seems to me a lot of confusion in the spatial planes. also the toplight source seems a bit too bright for having been filtered through a layer of greyish ice.

Makk's scene could use a greater contrast range to better depict the depth the drawing seems to be reaching for -- deeper shadows, more distinctive highlights to define the iceforms. diffusion of the overhead light source and around the alien structures is pretty well done, helps establish the underwater nature of the environment.

too much terrestrial-style foglike atmosphere in Sept13's piece, though color and perpective are well-handled

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went with Sketchling even after reading Masques words. He points out aspects that I wouldn't have noticed, so I need to be trained to look for those little things that would make or break a good environment piece. Sketchlings scene was the one that had the most energy and sense of atmosphere, planetary and in feel. I really got the sense of life teeming from those cracks with all its artificial lights. I really liked Makk's scene, as well, but I thought that the ice needed to have that thicker feel to it. It took me a moment to realize that that is what it was.

Man, all of these environments are nice as all hell and I don't mind saying that I find doing them intimidating as all hell, too! Tip of the hat to all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too went for Sketchling. Beautiful piece there, mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glogg's piece captured the deadly dull atmosphere the very well i thought and i liked the texture of the surface. So that's why i voted for him.

Members who have read this thread: 1