Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    @glikster: thanks.

@panda: yeah i was going to give it that burnt/worn look to the edges, i just didn't have time.

@Farvus: thanks for the feedback

@~Faust~: I'd rather have crits than asspats, but whatever ^^

@Onir: thanks, read above.

@machzero: yay page 3 indeed! i still feel like i don't have anything crucial to post each time though, almost like i'm spamming my own thread anyways, i have to redesign the whole poster, so that's it for that one design.

i thought the soft brush & laying down lighting method worked relatively fast (by my standards) and well, so I'm trying that again. I'm using a photo that I printed out as reference, but the lighting was a little weird so that's throwing me off. I think I might use this piece as a metaphor for my work process in a competition, but i'll have to draw in the rest of the bg and the ball for you to understand ^^

the shirt is giving me a headache...

emily (11.28: more costumes and stuff)

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like how you capture the light...
    too bad about the poster...

woops... just reread what you mentioned to Faust and Onir...

sorry about that...
    ok...
    why'd you stop the leg at the chair? wouldn't it be easier and more likely to be cohesive if you did her all together instead of piecemeal?
    Last edited by glikster; March 27th, 2006 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Just went through your sketchbook, you have shown a lot of improvements especially your digital stuff. Keep up the sketches! Oh, I really love that last piece, nice soft brush touch and your attention to lighting is amazin! Can't wait for the final piece.
    Peace

Thanks
    hey hp, gotcha loud and clear; more crits and less asspats. I'll try to do that from now on hehe nice update though, I like the way you're rendering this out, and yea as has been said your attention to light is great.. only thing I'm a bit confused with is the eyes. I can definitely see them as blacked out and aimed towards me now, however the marks under her eyes made me think she had her eyes closed at first. not a huge detail, yea, just maybe lighten the shadow over her eyes a little (if that's possible) to help the eyes stand out a bit more. hope that helped a bit

Thanks
    @onir, actually i was pointing you to the comment i made to panda about the sepia tone....but that's cool too ^^ (haha even glikster sharpened up) i always like critiques, the more honest&harsh the better.

@spicy meatballs: thanks, I'm having trouble with lighting issues of the shadow of the chair onto the leg. So far there are two light sources, one strong one from the left and one slightly less strong one from the right, making the center look the darkest. Not sure if this works well...

@glikster: i didn't finish the leg cuz i'm having lighting probs mentioned above ^^

Anyways this is my concept sketch, to explain what the whole picture will look like. On the top left is the whole idea. Basically in each circle will be a step in my work process, so 1 would be the thinking, 2 the sketch, 3 the coloring etc. It should look like it is dripping down to the final finished product in the last circle. This is like an idea - it starts out really broad and then as you go along you get tighter and tighter (or smaller and smaller circles, i guess) until you have that idea rendered out into a clear visual product.

On the top will be "me" with a lot of things in my room that unconsciously influence me while I work (graphic novels, photos, postcards, wall scrolls). I don't know why, but I've been thinking about chinese zodiacs and fox demons recently, so I added a fox chasing a rabbit and the rest of the animals (they're the little white blobs in the sketch on the top left). I wanted to illustrate like how sometimes you're assigned to draw X, but really you have this idea of drawing Y, and the whole time you're thinking about how much you'd rather draw Y - I think unconsciously idea Y will show up in assignment X anyways because it's just hanging over your head.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    whoa very nice idea behind that; always great to see something like this imo. I really like that dripping down idea as well, cool to see what people describe their thought process as. can't really crit anything honestly haha, seems like you definitely know what you're aiming to do in this piece.

haha yea didn't realize you were actually aiming towards what you said to panda; fine by me though, I need to learn how to crit better

Thanks
    Hey HP, if you don't mind me throwing in my two cents, I think part of the lighting issue might step from the fact that the lower legs as they currently stand, the feet in particular, seem to read at an impossible side-on angle. You've done a great job at making the thighs appear to advance through foreshortening and shadow, but I feel like the line work might be subconsciously suggesting a difficult if not impossible three-dimensional form to describe naturally through light. You might also be able to pull a little of the hot white highlight out of the t-shirt below the chair back, as the figure's posture indicates that this area from the center out would lie in increasing shadow. The thighs and upper body look great, though, and conceptually the idea is a lot of fun :-)

Thanks
    yo hpslashluvr, got to agree with some of the previous posts here... you got some cankle action going on. But since you mention you're working off reference photographs, is it just the lighting (which you said you have issues with) that's flattening them out?

You also checking the values? It's very "contrasty" on my laptop and my home monitor, but on the super-crap(tm) office monitor, everything's mostly BLACK.

BTW, you completely "done" with the siren's poster? Throwing ideas around my head at taking a crack at it.

Thanks
    Sweet concept... you've read the Dream Hunters, of course?

Thanks
    very cute,hope to see some more,,,,

Thanks
    @onir: actually, the symbolism is sort of contrived to make my art teacher happy. he says i should stop trying to work on technical skills altogther and use a lot of symbolism.

@idiomatic: thanks for the help, i'll try to fix the legs.

@machzero: yeah my comp monitor sucks and isn't accurate, i'll try lowering the contrast. nope, not done with poster. i'm gonna need a new idea with the sirens being the main focus.

@glikster: nope! never read it!

@veseljak: thanks!

ok....going to make a WIP thread prolly for this but...SORRY FOR LONG POST!

i'm not sure if they will refund my money that i paid but apparently the top 10 winners of the tdome for the girls will get tuition paid at the workshop.

topic: illustrate a song of your choice.

my ideas are based on two songs (sorry for bad translations!!! from chinese to english):
    Love before AD (top left image, basically a guy watching a girl touching a black stone carving in a crowd of people, and the reflection is of himself touching her back):
    The ancient King of Babylon passed the Hammurabi code of laws
    It was carved on black diorite 3700 years ago
    You stand before the display, looking intently at the carvings
    I stand aside, quietly admiring your face, which I deeply adore
    Offerings, alter, war, bow & arrow, whose past do they belong to?
    I love how you belong only to me in the midst of this crowd
    We pass the Sumerian Goddess
    And I wish in the name of the Goddess
    My missing goes on like the Tigris River
    When what is left of the Ancient Civilization is but an illegible language
    The myth becomes a never-ending poem
    My love for you has been written before this Century
    And it has been buried in the flatlands of Mesopotamia
    Uncovered after many centuries
    We find the wordings to be still clear & intelligible
    My love for you has been written before this century
    And it has been buried in the flatlands of Mesopotamia
    The promise of forever carved in cuneiform
    The promise that has been eroded for thousands of years, will be re-enacted now
    I feel exhausted, I am far away from home
    I am afraid that I will never be by your side again
    Love Before the Century
    Love Before the Century

Tornado (a girl is caught in a whirlwind/tornado, her feet are in a whirlpool and a "ghost" of her love is being torn from her)
    Love is like a gust of wind; it blows, and then goes away
    This kind of rhythm would leave anyone helpless
    Without you, my soul goes out of control
    The black clouds have descended, they pull me away
    Quietly, stealthily, silently leaving
    Teetering on the brink of danger
    My world is already in a violent storm
    ooh~~ Love comes too quickly just like a tornado
    Can't escape the whirlwind, can't escape in time
    I cannot think again, I cannot think again
    I cannot, I cannot, I cannot
    Love passes too quickly, just like a tornado
    I cannot bear it, I already have no place to hide
    I don't want to think anymore, I don't want to think anymore
    I don't, I don't, I don't want to think of you anymore
    Unconsciously, you have already left me
    Unconsciously, I have followed this rhythm
    After becoming aware, another autumn has passed
    After becoming aware, I should live a good life
    Unconsciously, you have already left me

although the "ghost" more like:http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4409/downref6xj.jpg

and some loomis ^^

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    cool thunderdome idea, and nice song choices; the one with the girl putting her hand on the wall sounds pretty powerful, I'd imagine the song to be rather sad. I really like the sketch you did for the second one, both people look really good in it. nice way you did teh hair and the wind, makes a nice effect; the left arm on the lower girl looks a little strange though. and nice loomis stuff hehe, gotta love loomis. keep it up!

Thanks
    @onir: thanks, i don't really expect ppl to read the lyrics but yeah the songs are pretty good. both are pretty famous..."Tornado" however is one of the most famous taiwanese songs...anyone will recognize it.

here are the videos in case anyone wants to hear them....they're really cheesy as both videos and songs ^^ (edit: actually now that i've seen the tornado video...that's a really stupid video lol)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzQ5yxFy_...0the%20century
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0StK1E...o%20jay%20chou

i did another sketch but i don't know if i like the idea of the ghosts of the lovers being pulled apart into the black clouds. either way the figures will follow the form of the tornado (to be added). her feet will be dangling in a whirlpool with dangerous waves and maybe some sharp rocks around her...lots of foam prolly.

Last edited by hp; April 6th, 2006 at 03:23 AM.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    cool progress... good luck with it!

I'm worried about the dead space in the middle right now, though....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Fantastic stuff. Glikster is right about this WIP. The space in the middle should have something. Maybe element of landscape like mountain or clouds.
    Loomis is fun. Nice to see some anatomy studies .
    Keep it up.

Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast