Sketchbook: Jelly's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jelly's Sketchbook

Welcome to my official sketchbook thread. Come by often, and critique often, because it will be updated at LEAST twice a week, and I will be improving, and I will be keeping all critiques and comments in mind, so please give me those comments and critiques.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAND STUDY-

O1/03/06

I was working on both inking with a ball point pen, and hand anatomy. I'm not very good with realistic anatomy or realistic shading... hence the point of the sketchbook where you will see my constant sketches of anatomy as I improve. So please critique both the shading and the anatomy of these hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch the size of those fingers, mam

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch the size of those fingers, mam
    Is there a hand that looks particularly off? Or are they all generally to large? And what kind of large, to long... to wide, a mix of both? I thought a lot of the fingers looked stubby, which to me indicates that they may be to wide, and to short... Either way thanks for the crit.

***** Jelly's Sketchbook *****

The above link is my sketchbook. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT OFTEN AND CRITIQUE! I will constantly be posting, and constantly improving. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was taught, when drawing hands, the best approach is to square everything off ... so that the hands and fingers don't come out looking all smushy ... it gives it a better form as well ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    According to me...some fingers looking bit big and some r small..in thickness..try to look in to the form...i mean just assume that the hand is made of a glass..try to understand the outer as well as inner construction of the hand.
    looking forward to see more
    btw welcome to CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA, get yourself a nice bone and muscle book! It will help in your studies

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I also posted this picture in the critique section before I decided to make a sketchbook, and from all of the great crits I have gathered that these are the things I need to work on -

1. Basic proportions of fingers are off, the palm is to small for the fingers
    2. The fingers look blockish on some of the hands, which tells me I need to round them out
    3. I need to work on structuring the hands - I take a few of the comments to mean that I need to maybe start with a basic outline (a skeletol outline), then add in basic shapes, and flesh it out from there

That's the three things I saw from the critiques that I needed to keep in mind when doing this, thanks to everyone who commented, it's been a great help.

Oh, and too fooxoo, I will definately use an anatomy book and learn the bones and muscles thanks.

The above link is my sketchbook. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT OFTEN AND CRITIQUE! I will constantly be posting, and constantly improving. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I worked a bit more on the hands.... I notice some things look a little better, but other things look worse than any of the others, I was relying less on a reference which is part of the reason. Anyway, My big problem that is throwing my proportions way off that I can see is the size of my palms. I'm making them way to small in almost every hand I've posted.

I think if I go ahead and start learning the anatomy of the hand (bones and muscles exc.) that will help a lot.

-HAND STUDY 2- 01/04/06

Last edited by Jelly_Donut; January 4th, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have a good grasp now on what you need to work on. Now all you need is to keep at it. Everyday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have a good grasp now on what you need to work on. Now all you need is to keep at it. Everyday!
    Of course! With these last hands, even though they didn't come out much better, I noticed a difference in the confidence and knowledge of drawing the hand. Like little creases here and there I didn't have to think about when adding them, little parts of the anatomy exc. So I know I'm improving, and I think I can have hands down a lot better pretty soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i see an improvement from your first to second sketches, nice there, improvement is always good.
    but, i think you should (at first) work less on detail and shading, all those extra lines. simply work on form that is the most important. i myself do digits with rectangular solids, as oposed to oblongs or cylinders (although i do use cylinders at times). you allso seem to have your palm and backhand aligned. the back of your hand does not, and should not, bend, but your palm can move all around and different ways. keep at it. do it often. possibly more sketches and less detail. good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder why r you focusing ONLY on Hand? At the beginning, the best thing to do is COPY COPY & COPY from your favorite artists or things you like. If you feel more comfortable, then start the figure.

Starting with GESTURE, COMPOSITION (BLOCK), then anatomy (the hardest).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i see an improvement from your first to second sketches, nice there, improvement is always good.
    but, i think you should (at first) work less on detail and shading, all those extra lines. simply work on form that is the most important. i myself do digits with rectangular solids, as oposed to oblongs or cylinders (although i do use cylinders at times). you allso seem to have your palm and backhand aligned. the back of your hand does not, and should not, bend, but your palm can move all around and different ways. keep at it. do it often. possibly more sketches and less detail. good luck.
    You can see improvment? Awesome! Thanks. And thanks for the tip about detailing, those first few hands were fun with all the detail... but then it just started taking so long that I think I was actually learning less due to the amount of time I was spending on individual creases and lines rather than overall composition... I don't know if that made sense, but the point is your point was taken.

Palm and backhand aligned... I'm not sure what you mean? Did I make the backhand bend in places? Let me know if I am wrong, but what I think you are saying is that the palm is pretty flexible but the backhand is not...

I wonder why r you focusing ONLY on Hand? At the beginning, the best thing to do is COPY COPY & COPY from your favorite artists or things you like. If you feel more comfortable, then start the figure.

Starting with GESTURE, COMPOSITION (BLOCK), then anatomy (the hardest).
    I'm not a beginner, and have done plenty of full figure compositions. I have a decent grasp on overall anatomy, but hands were still giving me a lot of trouble so I decided to focus on hands for a few days, or a week or so, until I had a much better grasp of them. I will move onto full figure stuff soon, and here and there as I work on specific parts, but for now hands are my trouble area.

-HANDS 3-

Did I quick sketch of the skeletal structure of the backhand, my blood sugar was crashing during the time, so i started rushing it, and was wobbly a bit... but I think it came out okay (other than the pinky being a bit um... broken). I'm going to try and draw a few more skeleton hands today, if I can find the time before work.

01/05/06

Did some more quick sketches of hands, taking the advice from above. I definately feel like my proportions are improving, and the skeletol hand drawing I did really helped me flesh these hands out as I quickly scribbled them. Do the proportions look like they are getting better? If I have more time, I will draw another batch of hands today... man I wish I didn't have to work.

01/05/06

Last edited by Jelly_Donut; January 5th, 2006 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so I needed a break from hands, and did a quick figure study. Then I decided to draw a hand without a reference to see how well I'm comming along, and I think it turned out purdy well.

Hand study 5 -

01/10/06

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick figure study... I think the hand is too big even if it is meant to be forshortend... either way I see an improvement personally in the hand and it's structure from where I was, and I was certainly able to draw it with much more ease... sigh... not sure why I didn't finish it, I think I got distracted and never went back to it. Oh well, here's the next update, a figure study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on a character, these are some sketches I've done today -

Above are the first sketches I did of her.

Okay so below, is a turn-around I did of her... but... I really don't like the proportions so I'm re-doing it.

I'm currently working on an outfit for her and and fixing her propotions. Really the only thing I want to fix is her size, I want her taller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... I posted this in the sketches section but decided to post it here as well. The basic idea is I'm sketching out some ideas for a fantasy stylized army of sorts... I have this idea of these fantasy bird man fighting wars in the sky. I also thought it would be great anatomy practice and I think this picture shows at least some improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another concept for this idea of mine, only for this picture I didn't use a reference of any kind. I wanted to test my knowledge of anatomy and forshortening. I'm really excited about this concept, I can't wait to start working on the story more so i can lay out some panels for a comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just some sitting poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have made improvements on the anatomy. The waist/hip area looks a little narrow in your earlier post...I recommend looking into anatomy books preferably andrew loomis. keep them coming.

SKETCH BOOK OF AWSOMENESS! CLICK HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have made improvements on the anatomy. The waist/hip area looks a little narrow in your earlier post...I recommend looking into anatomy books preferably andrew loomis. keep them coming.
    Hey, finally a reply ^^! Thanks for the crit, I wil definately be working on improving my backs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick nude I did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jelly. I thought I'd stop by to see how you've improved. Your doing well. Just keep your nose in those anatomy books and draw. you can only improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    while there is merit to the technique that you are using: eliipses, rectangles, or other geometry to define form, i think that ultimately the technique ingrains alot of bad habits: sketchy/unsure lines, stiff figures, unrealistic or grossly exagerated poses, proportion issues...i am sure that others could add more.

my suggestion would be to do some blind contour excercises in conjuntion with the studies you are currently doing. draw your mom, chairs, siblings, etc. focus on the shapes and search for the most descriptive line, dont worry about what the end result is, the purpose of blind contour drawings is to gain an understanding of the form by tracing the lines with your eye.

this may sound a little esoteric and crazy and i am sure that there are others who could explain the process and benefits better than i, but personally i found myself improving greatly through blind contour excercises.

keep on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you studying anatomy, but with your hand studies Fingers narrow/ get smaller from the base to the tip. your fingers maintain the same width, making them look more like sauages than fingers. Keep drawing and think about these this when drawing hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for the responces, and cosmis thanks a lot for the tidbit. I'll have to try that, I always do worry a lot about basic shapes.

Though recently I think I'm doing better with using basic shapes to enhance a better form... but my lines still turn out unsure I'm afraid.

oh, and dark, thanks to you too. I see exactly what your talking about! ^^

Here's my most recent model (I've done a lot of others... just havn't found the time to scan them in)

I think there is definately improvement here-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do see some improvments. Your lines arn't so dark anymore which definitly helps make it more realistic then cartoony. Learn to expand your value range too(its something I still struggle with). heres a tip: always start light to dark when you shade. keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do see some improvments. Your lines arn't so dark anymore which definitly helps make it more realistic then cartoony. Learn to expand your value range too(its something I still struggle with). heres a tip: always start light to dark when you shade. keep up the good work.

Thanks, I'm not sure if this is how proffesionals do it, but something i've started doing after this peice is shading the lightest value over a given area first (since pretty much in a black and white picture there is no white... and if there is it's rare) and then slowly add more value ontop of that where needed. It's worked so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i've pissed myself off...

I had a horrible summer, including two deaths in the family, My car was destroyed in an accident, my apartment had a mold problem in the closet that I didn't know about that destroyed just about every sketch I've ever done... ... In the process of moving out my apartment was broken into and they got my $3000 keyboard (piano keyboard not comp keyboard).

So I stopped drawing. Completely... and lost my passion. That's not okay so I'm getting it back. I'm working my ass off to make up for lost time, I'm not going to let life keep my from drawing. So everyday I'm going to draw SOMETHING if it kills me. Last night I worked on likeness, this is what came of it-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.