Young Adventurers (WIP)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Here's a work in progress. I'd love some help from any one willing to give it. My intent is for this to be an illustration (fake book cover) of 3 young adventurers and a companion creature. They take a pitstop at a site of a trainwreck turned shelter. I established the environment pretty quickly but it has taken me awhile to figure out what I want the characters to be doing on the pathway. Here is the most recent and then some older versions.

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Here are some concepts for the characters (I have abandoned the medieval weapons crap, I must have been working on too much D&D stuff at the time):

Young Adventurers (WIP)
    Young Adventurers (WIP)
    Young Adventurers (WIP)

Does it bother anyone that the main character's face is turned away from the viewer? It doesn't bother me much. Though I was thinking it might be a problem if it was to be a book cover rather than an interior illustration.

Thanks everyone.

-Eric

Last edited by deschamps; January 5th, 2006 at 11:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The composition is really overbalanced to the right, and the creature's dark eye is almost dead center. Leave the background as it is, but shift the entire foreground to the left so that the train flows into the two figures and the dark shape at top right points to the running one.

Also, I didn't even notice the climbing figure at the bottom until just now (third viewing). I'd get rid of it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Elwell. It sure was unbalanced. After your suggestion I went and moved the foreground elements to the left, then also added a smidge of extra canvas to the right and bottom. I tried having the train leading directly into the characters but I was losing alot of what I think will end up being the defining features of the train, so I had to move that back a bit. I also moved the little companion to the left to balance things out. I am going to see if I can make the girl on the ladder work for now, since she'll be easy to take out if she doesn't.

I think I finally settled on the action of the scene with a bad guy at the end of the tracks. Thanks again for your help.

Young Adventurers (WIP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the characters are pretty well done, I think you should write a story too ( really ), but I have some comments on the enviroment. The train rails
    are very thick and solid and I can't imagine how they ended up as in your image (only by some HUGE natural disaster). Also, you should make that (ex-) train bridge more solid. If a train goes over that bridge, it would fall down in the first 2-3 meters. What I mean is that you should draw some thicker stanchions under the rail. I think you may need to study some train bridges (just google for some images).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Keenox. It sounds like as I need to make it more obvious that this is not an old railway bridge. I imagined that the railroad was originally over flat land... and then at some point the ground gave way to an enourous pit ripping apart the rail road. The creatures that eventually made this pit a home used the twisted rails to make a raised walkways for themselves. Thats why they look shoddy. I'll have to make all of this more obvious as I go along. Definitely something to work on. Thank you.

Last edited by deschamps; January 5th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm....anyway it seemed like a bridge . Maybe you should add some ground in the viewer's side and maybe some signs indicating 'BRIDGE AHEAD' or something. Also, as I said before, a (written) story would complete your images very well (a comic would be a good idea too). Anyway, you should definetly add some text. Keep workin' on it dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely like the characters and the rendering - i don't think you need text or signs though. The picture is narrative enough in its way.. it would be great if it was an illustration in a series, or one of many in a childrens book.

The only crit i have, is maybe move the train a little bit closer to the left, and a little more into the foreground - its relatively dark solid toned side would create a good backdrop for the more detailed area of the creature's head/hair/feathery stuff..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the chars have a older style of clothing and weapons but the subway/train looks very modern. kinda ruins the atmospher IMO. other than that i really like it. the creature, whip is it, is very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spacemunky1117: Thanks for the good suggestion.

adam278: I think you were looking at the older character concepts I had posted. I took them down now so they dont confuse anyone else. It is all supposed to be modern.

Tiny bit of an update:
    Young Adventurers (WIP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, this is so cool!
    Loving that creature.

I think you should put the girl on the ladder higher up on it because she´ll be too easy to miss otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I like the idea and the characters - especially the creature, a lot. I'm enjoying where you're going with it. The composition is coming together. I wouldnt' put signs up or anything. It's apparent enough what's going on. I think it's fine the main character's face is away from us - if this was part of a series.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.