Thread: Rob's Wonderous Sketchbook of Wonders

Thanks

Rob's Wonderous Sketchbook of Wonders

Hey all, Roberto here, I prefer going by Rob though. After holding it off I'm finally making a sketchbook because I think it could really be beneficial to me. I've been taking my art more seriously for the past 3-ish years, just about everything I know is self taught, no formal education here, and I've certainly improved from what I started at. I'm gonna try to be posting things here at least once a day.

Anything I post here is very much welcome to critique, feedback, etc. I really would love and appreciate the help anyone can give me.

This first image here is from last month, a number of studies I had done after trying to approach with a better mind set and understanding of what to do with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I had to finish this to prove to myself I can get something down, as most of the time I'm just doing studies, and studies, and more studies (which I will definitely showing here from now on). But in the mean time I made this for fun-ish, and would love some kind of comment on it because I know its not great. I need all kinds of feedback.

Thanks
    Hey Rob,
    I like your sketchy figure drawings, it's much better to keep it loose like that than to get stuck in details and rendering too early.
    You might want to work on your anatomy, have you tried studying bones and muscles a little more in-depth? Bammes or Proko come to mind, they helped me a lot.
    Pretty much the same applies for your lady lancer, the anatomy is a little off. The upper legs are too short, and the foreshortening of the left lower leg is somewhat inaccurate. You could try to mirror the image every now and then, and first draw the figure before putting on the armor. That should help identifying your mistakes.
    Also you could resize the picture a little before uploading, that way it would be much easier to look at.
    Keep it up and have fun.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to acrazymind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Crazymind, I noticed the leg when you mentioned it so I'm definitely going to work on some leg studies. I half-assed the legs really hard because I wanted to move on. I definitely have to study some more in general. I'm also def gonna look up Bammes. I like Proko's work, but I haven't been using his recent anatomy videos much. I've kinda been avoiding them until he gets a lot more up. I do want to buy his premium anat stuff, but that's gonna be a little later.

Thank you again though, I have more work to do.

Thanks
    Did a quick page of gestures this morning before I need to head for an interview. I'm currently reading Michael Hampton' s - Figure Drawing - Design and Invention, and I really like how he's drawn his figures and gestures. I tried to incorporate his process into my gestures and I think I'm starting to get the feel for it. Once I get back I plan on doing some more studies, so anyone is free is critique those and this page. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Its been a few days but I got really busy as they came, but today I've been able to sit down and draw. I've got a page full of some gestures and I think I'm gonna go on to do some anatomy studies no

Thanks
    Been gone for nearly a week because I was doing some studies and some life stuff happened, but at least I wasn't out of the game.

I quite like how this study came out as an abstract shape study, definitely going to do more. The study is of the portrait of John Seymour Lucas by John Singer Sargent.

Thanks
    Good work so far, Rob! You're definitely doing the right stuff - gestures and proportion studies and whatnot. Keep doing those, but remember not to burn yourself out on studies too. If you can, find something to do that's fun every once in a while.

Your gestures have a nice energy about them. However, I recommend paying more attention to proportion, particularly of the head vs. the body. Some of the heads look really small.

You did a good job with the proportion study In fact I had to stop and stare. My only critiques are (1) the nose is a little low and (2) something about the eye on the left feels off. I think it might be the eyebrow actually, it doesn't match the picture exactly. Otherwise, very well done.

Good luck with your future studies - and keeping posting!

Thanks
    Some more of the studies and practice I've done for in the past few days. Really happy with most of the gestures, and the figures that took more than 10 mins to get down I'm pretty pleased with.

Thanks
    Been having a rough few weeks, what with starting a job and having to put my time into it. Its boring, but I have nothing else to rely on. I have this one page I did a few days ago of really quick gestures, nothing to be proud of really.

Thanks
    Another practice sketch, trying out a pose that I came up with. It was difficult, but fun, even if it doesn't look amazing. I love staves, and man, I'm gonna enjoy drawing some more stuff like this. It would give me a reason to draw some Steven Universe fan art too, ha.

Thanks
    Work has been cutting into my free time, tho I have been drawing, especially now in my old sketchbook. I've drawn a few things, but I just did this small study and liked how it came out.

Ref added for comparison and whatnot. As always any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Another figure study. Liked how this one came out. Images used as study material provided for comparison and feedback.

I'm gonna be going to classes this upcoming fall semester and will be going for an art degree, really excited to see if I improve further and learn some new things.