Tria Markers Questions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tria Markers Questions

Hi there,
    I've never used Tria Markers before but i'd like to. I've got a couple of questions out of pure curiosity:

1. I guess that, regardless of personal techniques, the average sufficient set of markers for person practicing in sketching should be around 10-15 pcs. Right? Based on your day-to-day experience what is better - to buy single markers or sets?

2. Price per piece is quite high. Is there any less expensive alternative in order just to have a common impression of this media? What is quite close by the quality/results but costs less? The question is not out of greediness, i just would like to make sure that i feel comfortable with this supply before putting some money in it.

3. Is there any pens or markers that apply on paper and make the same impression as watercolor would do (semitransparency, soft and light spots etc.). If the described applies to Tria Markes - sorry for busting your brains - i've never used them or seen results.

Thanx! Looking forward to your replies.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just buy a couple and see if you like them. Tria's are nice because they are refillable, and the nibs are replaceable. So if you use them frequently they're not so expensive. Start with grayscale if you've never used markers before and see what happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use good papier. Sheller hamer or water colour papier. It is important to make drying time longer. Also is wery cool to mix water colours with markers. I use Stabilo markers. These are not so quality but good for start. They cost, in my country, 2.5 eur.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1. I guess that, regardless of personal techniques, the average sufficient set of markers for person practicing in sketching should be around 10-15 pcs. Right? Based on your day-to-day experience what is better - to buy single markers or sets?

As mentioned, buy a set of cool grays. These can be found in sets or you can buy them individually. If money is an issue buy the odds (1,3,5,7,9,11). Or if you are just doing sketch work then you can get away with a 1, 3, 6, 9 and a black. I'd recommend Process Black or Extra Black. The standard black is more of a #12 warm gray.

Your best best for color combinations are a light, medium and dark value for that color.

Buy single markers and see if you even like working with them. Depending on the media you use, albeit canson marker paper, letramax, inkjet paper, etc, you will get a different result. I'd recommend marker paper since it allows you to create the most vibrant colors without losing ink due to absorbtion.

2. Price per piece is quite high. Is there any less expensive alternative in order just to have a common impression of this media? What is quite close by the quality/results but costs less? The question is not out of greediness, i just would like to make sure that i feel comfortable with this supply before putting some money in it.

As for price, normally these puppies are around 5$ USD but they go down to about half of that during back to school sales (at least in california). The Art Store sells them for 2.50$ USD during the fall and I believe Swain's in Pasadena and the Art Center shop sell them for about 3.80$ USD. I'm sure you can find them online for around this price.

The three main marker brands (that I know of) are Tria, Prismacolor and Copic. (Oh and Xylene based AD markers which are usually shit). They all cost relatively the same amount of money per marker but the Copics usually don't go on sale. Copics, BTW, are great markers with a shitload of nib alternatives. They're just super expensive.

I would recommend testing out markers and buying the colors that you like without feeling obligated to stay within a certain brand name. I rock back and forth b/t prisma and tria all the time. Prisma, however, have shitty small nibs and I don't think you can replace nor can you refill them whereas you can the other two brands.

Prisma usually has more saturated colors (olive greens and blues) that tria is lacking. Also their cool grays are much cooler than the trias.

3. Is there any pens or markers that apply on paper and make the same impression as watercolor would do (semitransparency, soft and light spots etc.). If the described applies to Tria Markes - sorry for busting your brains - i've never used them or seen results.

I'm not sure I understand this question, but if you are trying to create a water color looking image just use watercolor.

You can bleed the ink using alcohol however which will give it that look. You can also paint with the inks if you buy the refills.

If you have any more questions feel free to email me.

.@tadao.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I learned a lot on this thread! Thanks for the replies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I use Copics and buy the full sets. I know they are expensive but I make the money back professionally.

I also use a few of the Pantone Tria pens but these are only for the earthy tones and red black, blue black.

I use 100 gram cotton paper which causes the pens to "leak" out. Industrial designer use glossy paper, which makes the pens last longer because the matt paper drinks alot of ink.
    The matt paper are better for the watercolour look.

Check out my portfolio for samples, the concepts pages.

www.fabpics.com/leo

Have fun,
    Leo

PS Never ever store your pens in direct lighting from the sun or table lights. Keep them away from all heat sources, even light tables because the heat dries the pens up. Believe me, I've done it to three full sets of Copic pens... :-(

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Members who have read this thread: 1