Art: Johnny Depp Backdrop
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Johnny Depp Backdrop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Johnny Depp Backdrop

Recently painted this johnny Depp portrait for a friend to be used as a backdrop. C&C welcome

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'From Hell'?
    Very nice job, the likeness is striking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel that everything is in place but for some reason it seems that either the nose or the eyes are in the wrong place.

I think its the bridge of the nose that is slightly too long . Very minor fix .

The likeness is there though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, the likeness is really damn close. What needs work, like aweshux stated, is some spacial relationship and placement. HIS left eye seems a bit too close to his nose, his bridge too long, his mouth too low and small, and his hair/face line seems too sharp. His hair is good. Be careful with how you paint his collar - it's both muddy and graphic, and that hurts. Finally, the background seems too brushy and arbitrary or contrived.

Keep at it.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem seems to be an overall distortion of the facial features. The likeness is there but likenesses can be represented with grotesquely distorted features, as in a caricature.
    If you want a more realistic likeness (as you seem to aiming for) you'll need to address the things Geuseppe mentioned. Overall it seems to be distorted away from the chin- his head seems to get bigger and his features more spread out as you move away from the chin.
    My guess is that as you were working from the photo you didn't first map out the position of the features but instead started copying the details first.
    I could be wrong but if thats what you did, its a common mistake that usually leads to subtle distortions like you have.

BTW, I like your avatar- will be seeing the Mars Volta in concert later this month... can't wait!

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The transition from his face to the background on the left is too sharp, try softening it with something. Other than that, the above have stated the problems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice. All of it is true and they are problems i was somewhat concerned with myself.
    Geuseppa- About the hard edge i was trying to meet a deadline so i kinda roughed it in haha, good observation though.
    Expat- Ya his structure did get pretty warped, now looking at it i think the nose is to long. P.s Your a lucky bastard i wish they would come to town.
    Anyways here is the reference photo C&C still welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreeance, agreeance, the likeness is striking, but i think that his right eye needs to come up a bit in relation to the other eye, and then the whole eyes and brow need to come down just a hair. this will shorten the bridge of the nose just a bit, and lengthen the forehead,which seems to be troubling. other than that, a very good effort with good results, i'm sure you can make them better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.