Sketchbook: Cuppa Joe's Sketchbook- Occasionally Updated... - Page 8
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuppa Joe's Sketchbook- Occasionally Updated...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mentler- Thanks man!

Dile- D'oh! I forgot to vote didn't I! Awwwww man. No I don't have MSN. Does it work on a mac?

Ryn- Thanks! Head 'twas indeed supposed to be square. (Simple shapes and all)

Blanquish- Thanks man!

Dear God, how long have I not updated! I deserve a kick in the nuts for that. Stuff has been kinda hectic lately finishing up school. I haven't even gotten to draw daily lately. Started again today. I'll have to drop be the Sketchling thread and say I'll be late.

Buncha life crap to get back into things.

Some thumbs

Yeah, these all suck. But on the bright side, I have officially posted over 300 images in this sketchbook! Cool!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, that perspective-piece is really good! If you want a heavy feel on the soliders, make them look "fat". Not fat in the sense that the soliders are fat, but as the guy keeps his lenght no matter how much armour you put on him, the final result will be pretty fat, in a sense of proportions. Play with exaggarations. Other than that, good work, keep on doin it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Serp! The hardest thing about this assingment is that I've seen about 0 sci-fi movies, and I'm just not that creative. I started watching Battlestar Galactica for "Homework" on the subject today.

Random stff-

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get to draw much today.
    More studies and a little doodle. I may try and keep a little doodle per page of studies to try and get better at stuff from imagination.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried a new aproach to the whole character thing today. Turned out good, I think, but my scanner is broken, so only a digi cam pic today.

Edit- I know they are all missing hands. And feet. And faces. I didn't have much time tonight, so I'll finish them tomorrow.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, drah'ins.

You're so dilligent with your daily drawing AND updates. It's quite inspiring.

Okie. You seem to be mostly clearing up some of the proportion problems from before. Legs are still a liiiittle too stubby, though. Just a bit. Still a huge improvement from a week or two ago, though. Arm/leg studies on the 22nd are a bit stubby, too.

Perspective drawings from the 21st are looking REALLY good! Really, those are spot on, no crits here.

Go go cuppajoh. I'll be rootin' for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn- When you got no talent, dillligent is all you can be! Thanks for the tips, I never see how often I do things untill someone poits it uot. Looks like the eviros are the easiest part of that thing! Thanks for the encouragement!

Today I made what I think will be the most influential decision of my art to date. I'm moving my studio out of my room.
    Two reasons:
    1. My computer is too much of a distraction. I spend mre time looking at drawings on CA then I do drawing.
    2. I'm going to build a real draft table devoted to art (And the occasional homework). Right now I just draw on my lap because there's ust too much crap on my desk to bother.
    I'll probably have a room devoted to art within a week or so!

Didn't get to draw so much today, had an essay. Just studies and stuff.

Sorry fo all the text and lack of image-y goodness.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
    Today I made what I think will be the most influential decision of my art to date. I'm moving my studio out of my room.
    Two reasons:
    1. My computer is too much of a distraction. I spend mre time looking at drawings on CA then I do drawing.
    2. I'm going to build a real draft table devoted to art (And the occasional homework). Right now I just draw on my lap because there's ust too much crap on my desk to bother.
    Both of these are good ideas, and eerily enough, things I've done within the last year or so. Drafting tables are nice; that's all there is to it.

I also moved away from my computer to draw. It's a smart move. I still tote around a laptop for music but sometimes I have to unplug the wireless card because I'm hopelessly addicted to forums. It's a shame willpower isn't enough, but a little boost never hurts. Goodluck fighting the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
    Ryn- When you got no talent, dillligent is all you can be! Thanks for the tips, I never see how often I do things untill someone poits it uot. Looks like the eviros are the easiest part of that thing! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Bah, you don't give yourself enough credit. Talent, as far as I'm concerned, is far less important than working hard. Stop cutting yourself short. You have far more talent than most people and you have great worth ethics. That much will go far. So chin up, and be proud of yourself. You deserve it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, what Ryn said. Talent is just a head start. People with talent are nothing without practice. And besides, no-one'a completely talentless.

That neck study is looking good.

And on seeing sci-fi films, maybe it's good that you're unbiased? Working completely off what YOU think is an armoured space-suit. Think function. it doesn't always have to be practical or functional at all, but it needs to make sense. What I mean is, you don't draw a suit which have full heavy armour only on the sides of the character, you draw one that has it on the chest to protect the vital organs. if they're going to be in space, thoy'll probably need oxygen. Again, this needn't be the stereotypical gas-tank-on-back-tubes-to-mouth-model. A belt for grenades and stuff or maybe the grenades are fastened to the arms, so you can just pick one off your shoulder? What I mean is, sci-fi suits can look anyway you want, but it's good to start of with remotely functional ones. Then you can add senseless detail or mega-shoulder-pads that wouldn't be practical in any dimension I know, but look damn cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Bug you

Poof! I'm undead!

I just got going again after over a month of lazyness. I've been working on anatomy/figure. I'll probably start a new sketchbook thread too if I can keep going

I just wanted to drop in and say your still doing a great job! I really envy your persistance. Keep it up and you'll surpass me in short order
    Also staying away from the computer is a good plan. One of the reasons for my slump (besides games) was the ever increasing amount of time I spent online.

Anyway maybe we can help each other out with this crazy anatomy stuff? It always helps to get someone else's perspective. Your latest studies are looking really solid. The neck is great

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't stop! Getting better, keep it up. I like the studies a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn- Yeah, I think these are good moves. Forums are way too addicting. As KC Green once said- "It's like a magical book that continually updates!" Thanks for the encouragement! It really helps!

Serpian- Yeah, I guess this may help in making something non-generic. I am trying to think more about function when making something. It's way harder than just pulling crap out of your ass!

Kitsu- WHAAAAAA? Your alive! Update your sketchbook soon and I'll drop by. Great to see ya back man!

Frank wade- Thanks man!

May not get to draw much tomorrow. I was involuntarily volunteered for volunteer work by my school.

Messing with brushes-

Bridge-mang

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised, not much today. Little PS thumbnail that I got a little carried away with.

With and without big hip things.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dam those studies are wicked...Congrads on the fourth page aswell. Im still on my first ughhhh lol oh well. Looking good man. Yeah those studies rock.
    Later Cup of Joe's
    Ill visit here more often.

Ink Monkey, Blog Yet anouther blogger slave.

Ink Monkeys CA Sketch Book Thanks for the Drop In

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ink_Monkey!

Uuugggghhhhhdudududur. Spent most of today studying for finals. Did this, then saw Dr. Strangelove at an independant movie theater. I'm going to bed. Tomorrow-
    Do more scientist sketches. One more Main chara.
    Finish enviros

Edit- Just dropping by to say there will be no update today because of finals.

Last edited by Cup of Joe; May 29th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more days of finals! crap. Inspired by the guggen-man to break out the molskine and do some life drawing.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing good.
    Though i think you should do a pic where we can't any construction lines. Just values, so you can more easily where you can and where you can't outline your subject.
    Besides that, keep doing those anatomy studies !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Recursive_End! I'll do some more value stuff. More anatomy to come too!

One more day of finals and then I can draw in a normal schedule again.
    Life in molskine-

Speedie enviro-

Spent about 1 min on this. Idea for a stupid fake cd cover that popped into my head.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be blunt, the digital paintings are looking a bit bland. But that's to be expected when you start out, right?
    I think you could spice up those digipaints a great deal if you played with brushes some more. Just dick around, see what does what. 'Playing' with photoshop will help a lot more than you probably think.

Either way, kudos to you for pushing yourself to new things!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing fine dude <> keep up the good work <> hit domenicus thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn- Yeah, I'm really new to photoshop. Might try some cool/warm variation in the enviro just to see what happens. But it is also kinda boring, I agree. Meh, I'll work on it later.

Mentler- Thanks man! Left a rather long entry in the DOM thread. Keep those things coming man!

It's over. Two words- FUCK YES. My brain is mush from finals, going back to life drawings. In other news, I finished building my drafting table today! It's all oak, 14 angles for the top, devilishly smooth. I love it already.

Life from the Strip-

Tried to bust out some stuff at about ten and got some o.k. stuff.-

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    I recommend getting a newspaper or something, looking for figures( the sport section is always a start) and drawing them as much as you can,it should help your anatomy and your overall drawing.
    Im sure you've seen artists who get their pencil, hold their arm out straight and look at what their drawing. This is a crucial skill when drawing from life, it allows you to work out proportions and sizes before making your shapes. Try drawing a couch or a table or the room with this method but first finding the size and drawing up a rectangle/square and working within the confines of that shape.
    Also spend some more time on your drawings, its a lot more appealing seeing something that has had an hour working on, that a few 10 minutes practices. That said you do have some motivation and you are on 4 pages so telling you to practice isnt going to make you do any more than your doing.
    With the digis i suggest you have a look at these
    http://www.carloscabrera.com.ar/tutorials/
    http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=16&cat=14
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47859
    and http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65409
    hope that helped, keep up the drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice studies here. Lots of drawings (which is great). Keep crackin at photoshop and dont be afraid to let loose and experiment with different brushes. Good line quality to some of your drawings. Work on anatomy and explore the basics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff going one here, sometimes your lines are real nice and clean, but at other times they are not, It might be because you havent "warmed up" but keep cracking at them! also, try to focus on just one part of the body when you are doing studies, otherwise it just turns to mumbo jumbo. Try sitting down for a couple of hours and focus on the arm for example, going through everything its built up of, not just one nose and a neck, you wont get far with that!
    keep posting dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blanquish- Thanks for the tips man! I'm trying to incorporate blocking in into my habits. I've also seen most of the links, but thier all things I should keep in mind.

Ryan DeMita- Thanks Man!

Archipeligo- Hmmm, better idea than what I've been doing. Thanks mang!

Took archipelago's advise and spent a few hours todayon just hands. Definately helped. Also, my brain is still sortof deaad after finals, so it helped me relax a little too. Tomorrow I got to do that stuff I've been putting of for the assignment. I started an enviro too, but I can't post i because my scanner refuses to work under these condtions. Perhaps it would work if I offered a dental plan....

Shortly after this image, my scanner went haywire.

PAGE 5 HERE I COME

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got alot of drawing done today. No enviros or charactes as promised, but I have some Ideas. Transition to drafting table is almost complete. I'm proud to say that today I spent most of the time I usually spend on the computer drawing. Today was mostly SPs and hands. I definately need practice with heads.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ROCKIN' IT ALL THE WAY TO THE 5TH PAGE BABY!
    Shit, I'm still a page behind a page a month. Well, while your all out rocking Montreal, I'll be rocking it on the home front..... Shit I wanna go too.

Sketches for project-

Molskine-

This little servant of the serpant crawled out of my pencil before I finished this update- (ref used)

EDIT- Frogot to say I'll be away for a few days, so don't expect updates for two or three days.

Last edited by Cup of Joe; June 6th, 2006 at 10:58 PM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back! Haven't gotten replies for a while.

All of this is in a moleskin from life except the white rabbit. Didn't get to draw as much as I would have liked. Soon I'll dedicate a week or so to PS, but I should work on the project more for now.

Pathetic first attempt at acrylics. A fridge from life.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well.. your shading technique..is getting better..and ur lines are more confidant..
    so whats your next step?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    White Rose- Sorry! Missed you. Next step? Ummm.... Keep drawing I guess. I don't like to plan very far into the future (or at all)

Spent time on photoshop today. Got some ideas. My main problem is too many transition values, but untill I get around it I can use a soft brush to clean up.

PS from life- 10 mins each

Ball from mind-

Enviro sketch and PS base values-

Banana from life- NOTE TO SELF- only use side of pencil on smooth paper, this one had too much tooth.

EDIT- PAGE 5 YESSCORETHANKSAWESOME!

Last edited by Cup of Joe; June 11th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3