Sketchbook: Cuppa Joe's Sketchbook- Occasionally Updated... - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scarves do rule ^_^ Keep up the hard work! post post post =]

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyptosis- Thanks man!

SP DAY WAS A BLAAAAAST!
    Did a bunch. First are the traditional mediums, pencil and one where I tried out pastels. For the digis, I spent forever on the first one, which turned out like crap. Cranked the second one out in under 10 minutes, and I liked it so much that I combined it with the first, resulting in my final.
    'Till tomorrow!

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey cup!

here's the crit i promised, but first dang man gotta say that you've got an impressive book going here . The studies that you are doing from bridgman, loomis, et. al. are looking really great, and it seems like you are enjoying doing them, correct? My own bridgman studies are miniscule compared to your great acts of devotion, but i found something really valuable when trying to copy his sketching style: Angles and geometric styled shapes.

two big commentaries for ya:
    • Really, a nice curvilinear form is quite enjoyable to look at and in fact is easier on the hand to draw, but at least at an initial stage, i'm finding that it's immensely helpful to block things in in terms of angular marks. Even when you see things in life, these angles of an object are ALWAYS changing in such subtle ways. Of course all this is related to perspective, but that's a different subject entirely :-). And to carry the ramble a step farther, the angle at which you look at something is also immensely important for purposes of creating the most dramatic effect. It seems like you are doing a lot of studies, but maybe when you go to apply all these studies to your work from life, (Not sure if you have the opportunity to do this or not) it becomes difficult to copy down what you see, or the information overload just freaks you out...totally i feel ya on that one.... it's a lot to get down esp. with the time constraints of models and their poses. anyways, in your more finished stuff, it seems like you are having a little difficulty REALLY getting that 3D form put down on the surface. blocking it in with angles is a great way to do it, and the ability to do this, observing angles correctly and recording them, will further your artistic abilities immensely
    • The second thing is something that Idiot Apathy touched on a page or two back in your sketchbook and i think it bears repeating. One of the most important things about being an artist is to have fun with what you are doing, do wild expirements, push yourself in ways you haven't been pushed before. Back in school i had this professor that insisted that we kept a "play" sketchbook... strictly for fun, NO COURSEWORK, no projects in it, JUST FUN. It was an amazing new concept for me to get used to... and i have to confess that it was EXTREMELY hard to switch myself into that mode, of ... just drawing whatever the hell i wanted and not worrying about what anyone else thought, or what kind of ramifications it would mean if the drawings weren't up to par. One activity for this book was to fill a random page with odd shapes, and then go back in once the page was finished and turn them all into faces or creatures. Another was drawing huge strokes on the page, to the rthym of music, etc, etc. Once i finally got myself psyched and in sync with this notion of drawing for fun again, it was really weird to have that sensation that burned so brightly for me as a kid--> that drawing is a really fun thing to do, and that i'm lucky to be able to do it and enjoy myself. anyways, yeah, maybe you could start up some sketchbook, and maybe draw in it when you're feeling bummed out or just worn out from the studies. Get some markers and add in some color. don't worry about getting things perfect, put down some fun ideas and explore your creativity. Take some concept or idea that you've had on the shelf for a little while, wipe the dust off, and decide what you can do to it to really push the idea over the top. maybe draw from life a little in this book, but hell, just burn it up, maybe try to do one book of a hundred or two hundred pages in a month... don't rush, but definitely try to escape into the book. I think you'll get hooked and the freedom of expression from working this way could free you up to better your more finished pieces.

hope this helps, friend.

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gugg- Wow, much love! Really great advice in that post! I especially love the idea of a crap-book. I'm beginning to realize that although my current path teaches me alot, it's hard to switch to imagination. So scrounged up a book for that purpose today. ANGLESANGLESANGLES yes. Gotta remember that. I'm also going to try and find some lfe drawing sessions. I've been having trouble though, since Pittsburg isn't the most art oriented of cities. Anywho, thanks again!

From Gugg's awesome advice, got me a book for crap sketches. Here's the first batch! I'm also finally cracking out those brush pens.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This crap-book thing is way too fun. May do some more finished pieces of ideas from here.

Studies return soon! But now they will be supplemented by mind-sketches!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting there dude. Just more studying is what you need to do. I am kinda surprised that you stay away from the eraser. Eraser bad! hehe! Good luck and keep going Cup-of Joe!XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beelow- Thanks! Hehe, yeah, trying not to use that thing as much. Like most tools, I don't think it's inherently bad, but it's easy to mis/over use.

Today was a really good art day. Just doodling. Found the Bobby Chiu podcast and the "Music videos that inspire you" thread at the same time. Also been taking a trip to the less-visited sections of my itunes playlist. Lots of They Might Be Giants and Flaming Lips lately. Most of today's stuff was the result mof me scrouging through my PS brushes and testing stuff out. May start scanning/making my own soon.
    Enough text, more serious studies to return soon!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continued watching Bobby Chiu's podcast. Really inspiring syuff. Finally moved me to do something I've been planning to do for a while and set up a definite schedule for my days. I've got it set up so far so that I have a minumum of an hour and a half to two and a half each week day. I'm hoping to get 4-5 in most week end days. Also, at least for the next few days, I'm going to think about what I want to do next. I kind of feel like I don't know where to go, so any suggestions would be appreciated. So, not sure how long this will last but I feel like I'm at the start of something big, just don't know what it is or what to do.

Anyway- not much today. Sketches from mind and messing with acrylic paint. Oh wow that turned out hideous. Way harder than expected.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ouch
    and
    thanks! just the kick in the butt that i needed! Glad you like the play sketchbook idea, it's a great place to work out some of your ideas and have fun...of course though you have to keep your other more work / study oriented stuff going too.

Dude, philadelphia museum of art is incredible, would be an awesome place to visit and study, if that's convenient.

sun ra called philadelphia the "City of Brotherly Shove" hehe

i'm gonna look up this "Bobby Chiu" fella

j

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cup !
    Good studies, keep doing some. Also, as a side exercice, you might want to work more with lines only. Try to go as far as possible with lines only.

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gugg- Thanks! Philly isn't too convenient, but I might see if I can catch a train there during the summer.Wish I was closer though, because i'd love to catch the Wolfmother concert down there later this month. As for Bobby, definitely do that. That stuff is gold. I'll drop the link by your book if you want, or just PM me.

Dan- Thanks man- will do!

As suggested by DanC- Phase one of whatever the hell this new step is, LINE. Goal- Get as comfortable with line as I can before moving on.

Today- Finally got some life drawing in. Also tried out a new idea I had today. I drew a Bridgeman figure, then drew it how I thought Loomis would draw the same pose, and vice-versa. Tried to build it up like eaach person would. Don't know how much it helped, but it was interesting.

Oh, and The Smiths rock pretty dang hard. Just in case you were unaware.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good good good. Don't forget the folds though =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey pall, i think you have a very good improvement in the last drawings

Last edited by Lot; November 7th, 2006 at 11:33 AM.
    Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Did you vote today?

DanC- Thanks for the continued support!

Lot- Thanks for dropping by! Excuse me if it take a while for me to reply.

Kind of wondering where to go next for anatomy. Current idea- become more comfortable with torso, then move to the limbs(legs, arms), then to extremities(hand, feet). Ideas/suggestions?

TODAY- Bridgeman, +1 Bridgeman-Loomis conversion attempt and a page with furniture and a hand from life.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work.
    The figures are getting more and more expression.
    Keep doing lots of them.
    Nothing much to crit, fill as much pages as possible. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man, You are just cranking out great studies left and right. There is some very good pieces in here. Just keep at it! Your already making leaps in your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanC- Thanks!
    Trashy- Thanks for dropping by! As I said to Lot, sorry if it takes me a bit to respond.

May do some subway sketching soon. Main problem- a full ride along the Pittsburgh subway is only 30 min. Answer, go a bunch of times.

Today- Page1- Research for school somehow lead me to police photos of a young Stalin. Decided to draw them (Man I hate drawing front facing heads! May have to work on that more soon.). The rest is just Bridgeman studies.

PROPORTIONS!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey&#161; I like the studyes you must be learning a lot.

I invite you to see my pages and tell me what you think.

Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lot- Thanks! I'll drop by soon.

Today, didn't get as mch done as I wanted, but here it is.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missed yesterday, so I'm burning graphite today to make up for lost time.

In order- Two pages of Loomis, Arms from imagination, two pages of Bridgeman, and two pages of life drawing. Tried to apply my Bridgeman knowledge to the life drawings.

Tell me if any of the scans came out bad.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies cup !
    Something that helped me for the muscles is showing which one is over or under the other one. You can play with line weight to do so. But that's just in case things are a bit confusing for you.
    Keep learning them and you'll see how things can get so easy after =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanC- Thanks for the tips!

Man, the last few day's have been terrible drawing day's for some reason. Mostly making random marks on paper and in PS and trying to see stuff in it. This results in a few things I like, and a WHOLE BUNCH OF CRAP. Here's the highlights of 10 to 15 some pages of terrible doodles.

So- today- two more finished doodles and one of the sketches, just so you get an idea of what the other stuff was.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uggh. Essay's took up most of my drawing time today, so hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

Here's a peek at what I'm working on for the sketchlings.

UPDATE- 11/15/06- Man, school has really taken a toll on my updates recently. Today's update moved to tomorrow, because of time restrictions. Hopefully I'll get some major drawing done over the weekend and Thanksgiving break. Thanks for the continued support of my lazy ass.

Last edited by Cup of Joe; November 15th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo cup of joe. Great progress since i last stopped by. love the play sketchbook pages, keep exploring them every day. Love the 5th image in post 518. Keep studying anatomy, especially the skull and planes of the face. And get to that life drawing!

Keep drawing, and have fun doing it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fishspawn- Thanks alot! Agree with you on the faces.

Uggghhggghgh. Got My first substantial drawing time in days. School is destroying me.

Anywho, SPs and faces,faces,faces from ref.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you´ve come a long way since page one. Really like your Loomis Bridgeman conversions, seems like a fun thing to do. I can´t think of a useful crit at the moment, you seem to be doing all the right stuff to get better, so just keep going...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    taxman- Thanks for stopping by, love your stuff by the way!

Got in a little bit of life drawing today. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of stuff over the weekend.

Also, have my scans been too light recently? Just checking.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey cup!
    Cool drawings, but i find the latest pencils a bit too simple. Don't worry if things get a bit confusing, just get the lines that would help you give more form.
    Go crazy with lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanC- Thanks, your right in that I'm not using it to it's fullest potential. Going to start trying to push it more! Starting with overlapping lines.

Today, Life drawing, design ideas for my new SB cover (#5), and some other stuff, probably. Sorry for the cop-out on that last page, but it's true.

This post also marks the end of page 9 and the 800th image in this SB. Hooray for pointless numbers that have no relation to skill! (?)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good.
    The hands are looking better. the linework you did on them is really helping at reading it.
    Try to keep this process in mind. You might also want to check out salaryman or any other crazy linework artist to see what kind of lines they keep to build the shape of their characters.
    Keep it up !

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3