Sketchbook: Cuppa Joe's Sketchbook- Occasionally Updated... - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 6 Yo!

Kitsu- I'll keep tha in mind, thanks man!

Dile- Thanks!

Today was the last day of class. Fucking awesome. We got scripts of movie scenes and did storyboards in groups of two. My group got the Stay-Puft man scene from Ghostbusters. Someday I'll scan it, but it needs commentary. Damn thing cracks me up everytime.

Random sculptures and the thumbs from the first day

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joe,
    Im not good at giving tips... but Im going to try to give you something that ive been noticing for a long time.. in your stuff. When you do things in pencil...
    drawing and shading.. I see that your lines are not.. formed enough.
    especially when u shade....
    try this technique...
    Im not sure if it is the correct way... but it works for me..
    try to press on your pencil as hard as you can..for the dark values. andand then slowly apply less pressure..for a lighter pressure.. for a grayer scale..
    and then :3 using an eraser for a highlight.. or leaving the space empty..
    and do blend.. the colors to gether :3
    use your finger or tissue paper to smudge (or to blend in the colors together..for an smooth gradiation. i'll try and make some examples..to show what u mean...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You do nice on the Bridgman studies. Make sure you understand it and try to use it when drawing from imagination. Maybe you should go for some basic Loomis studies: the manekin an the construction of the head? Anyway keep on going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    White Rose- Thanks! For the class ones, we had only a little time, so after I finished the linework I had to rush the shading, but I just realized that I do that even outside of class.

Bartovan- Arrrgh! No matter how many times I put Loomis at the top of my list, I never get to it.

Not as much as I wanted to get done today. Messed with some refillable brush pens I got. Also started a finalized sketch for a character for the sketchlings project. Any problems you guy's see proportion wise? I think the arm's are messed up, but can't get it right. No ref used.

Edit- Damn scanner! Dude had to be a cam pic.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice quick sketches. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are strange little drawings but it is ok ,,,,, normal people scare me!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joe!

In fact, I think you should skip the rendering right now!
    and focus more on the form! exept from that, just keep on drawing!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Afgal- Thanks!

Mentler- Ha! Thanks man!

Dile- Thanks for the tips man! For now your right, I should focus on really getting my lines where I want 'em.

Felt burnt out today, so I experimented. Started out in PS, then tried watercolors. I got to work on the teen challenge tomorrow.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh the watercolors look cute :3
    good luck in the teen challenge.. :3 and.. i hope u feel better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    as I did said in my latest post here, skip the rendering part!
    get your lines
    down instead creat form with the pencil! dont care about the lighting yet!
    show us form through shapes created with onnly lines! when you get it , you
    can start to rendering light!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    White Rose- Thanks alot!

Dile- I know, but I gotta have a little fun too!

For the Teen challenge, I'm in the same rut I've been in for days. I have two ideas, and I love them both. I think I'll choose one for now, but do them both in the end. Here's the basic ideas. Topic- Rough landing. Idea1- Ufo crash. Idea2- Paratrooper w/out parachute (mid-fall).

Did some life drawing, sketches for the Teen challenge, and a doodle monster FOR THE NEW MEDIA COLORING BOOK thread. Just so no one thinks I did the lines.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip of Teen challenge entry. I think I will make both Ideas since the deadline just got extended about a week. Oh, and Happy July 4th!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, working hard there joe
    on the t-challenge the face and clothes need improving
    try adding some folds with a darker colour
    keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back up

I feel I owe you some comments, but I am very tired. Hope you didn't mind me not posting on the long weekend. I actually had to work Saturday, Sunday, and a little monday too

First thing I want to say is - I don't know about all this 'stick to lines only' talk. Contrast is what creates the lines we see, and that contrast comes primarily from differences in value! I say that it doesn't matter if or how you render your drawings. What matters is that you are fighting with it while you work. Control your lines, understand your values, push your self and you will (continue to) improve! Also I think your current attitude is better that seeking some restrictive focus

For specific comments:
    I thought the first watercolor thing in grayscale looked very neat. Watercolors are very nice for ease of use and speed, but are difficult to control. I think you got good value range out of them in that first one. The later ones are less effective. Here is a trick I found helped when I was using watercolors: Don't be afraid of the ugly colors, and never use just whatever comes out of the tube/cake. Learning to mix fitting colors is fun, and is an important skill.
    The alien head is nice, and the teen challenge piece is going well. I like how you pushed the perspective on the falling guy. He looks sort of flat though? Also where is the light coming from? It looks like sort of overcast conditions, so there would be a little light comming from everywhere, but that never looks good. Bend the rules of reality and add some appropriate light sources.
    On the drawings in your last day of class post I would say you need to seperate your values more. Try to simplify down to just a few values, and keep them distinct from each other. Lack of contrast flattens the forms, while too much will distort depth. This goes for you Challenge piece too, push the contrast to give him more form. Also try using some atmospheric perspective(reduced contrast) to push his distant hand and the 'chutes further away.

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blanquish- Thanks! I'm basically re-starting the Teen challenge. Did I drop by your SB yet? If not, sorry. I'll drop by soon either way.

Kitsu- Understood. I agree with the value-line talk. You took my drawings into greyscale to crit them! Thanks! Man, I'm too lazy to do that to my OWN drawings. The watercolors were fun, mainly because I had this crappy, like 4 color cake pocket-pack, and it was actually fun working with such a limited pallet. I'll figure out how to mix later. As for the Teen-challenge and contrast crits, I agree on all levels. I decided that I was wrong jumping right into color, and decided to overhaul this mofo since I have another week, so I basically trashed it and started back from greyscale.(see today's explanation)

Restarted from greyscale basic shapes(couldn't resist polishing the hands, sorry). Fixed anatomy problems too. I'll work on it more, and may post again tonight. Thanks for the crits everyone! I'll keep pushing it.

Edit- @ Kitsu- also, I'm going for a strong downwards light-source.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very dynamic! The pose looks great, now start building some anatomy on it. Definatly find some cloth referance before dressing it too, cloth is just too easy to screw up. Push yourself as hard as you can, then when you think you need to give up decide whether you can keep going or not.

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O_O wow...
    GO GO GO GO :3 i'll be rooting for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I very much like your stuff.

The only thing that I see is that some times, your stuff lacks a solid form. I would try and make smoother more defined lines so that you have a more defined shape.

Very good!

16 year old Aspiring Animator that is HUNGRY for critique and advice.

-----------------
    Just made it into CSSSA!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm Back!

Kistu- Thanks! I think I'll just put on a jacket and get on a chair in that pose(I'll have to get someone to take the pic) for cloth ref. I tried to do it myself sans ref, ugggg.

White Rose- Thanks a lot!

Jakian- Thanks man! Will do.

I checked back on Oblio's sketchbook and I suddenly feel inspired again. I think it helps to remember exactly WHY I'm doing all this. Even if I don't always realize it, this is what I love. I love it when it goes right and when it goes wrong. I hat to qoute unecasarily, but as Marko said, Magic is real, and art is magic.

Sorry for missing yesterday, so here's both days combined. Almost (besides one page) everything besides the Teen challenge is from life.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really glad you've re-evaluated just why you are drawing and that you do indeed love art. It's so easy to lose sight of sometimes, when we're all preoccupied with the technical aspects.

VERY good call on reworking that Teen Challenge piece from shapes. It takes a pair to totally scrap something you've worked on for a while - good for you! The torso is still looking pretty flat, though. Add some darker shadows and texturing. It looks too 'plastic' and smooth at the moment.

Contours are looking good, but you need to work on your line weight more. Remember, shadowed side will have a darker, and/or thicker line, highlighted side will be thinner and/or lighter. Well, it's more complicated than that, of course. But it's something to think about. I find looking at Marko's drawings are a big help in wrapping my brain around line weight.

The birds, to be blunt, look shoddy. It seems like you're concentrating too little on the skeletal structure of the bird. Try drawing bird skeletons from reference, then draw them with the whole deal. As is, they lack any solid structure.

Your line confidence seems to be a problem too. Avoid petting in those lines! (Hard as hell, I know. Still do it myself). Try the long, sweeping strokes. Try using your whole arm. It's weird to do, but it'll pay off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Joe what do you know <> up you go and thank much for the support <> will check back on your next update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some pretty nice life studies, the one sock pic looks off, but the rest are nice, also the pic you redid looks, like, 20 times better already, although i agree with the flat torso. Thumbs UP**

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn- Thanks! Nice call on the torso, I'll look into that. I absolutely agree with all of your other crits. Thanks for not holding back!

Mentler- Gla to have you by!

Strangertome- Thanks man!

Added folds. Got this idea for cast shadows to increase depth, so I threw it in, but it's pretty shoddy right now. To do, Differentiate shadow and light edges, work on torso, add hand and feet, add texture, face, helmet, work on contrast, color, clean up. Oh, and background. Let's get to it!

Also did a quick paintover of Blanquish for practice. This is the cleaned up sketch. HERE is the original, and for blanquish, HERE is the original sketch with skeleton sketch.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally starting to wrap this baby up! Did everything in my last to-do list. Played with contrast and saturation. Havine a grey-scale base really simplified coloring, though I still have to tweek it. Saterted BG just by taking some random colors at a really low opacity and scribbling and seeing what I saw. I got this I dea to incoporate a type of fish-eye lens view. You'd see ground, trees, water, but also a little sky in the top right. I also changed a few chutes to match it. Background is still just a scribble, so pay no heed to it. What I need now is crits on the dude! (I think the hand seems a little detached) I'll work on it more tonight, but I thought I'd update while it's still today.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Judging by the shadows cast by his pants onto his jacket, shouldn't his hand/arm be casting a shadow onto his jacket as well? That'll help fix up the foreshortening and might fix the flatness on his torso as well.

Also, your attitude towards crits is just great. Refreshing, after 3 years on DA. Kudos to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Joe, the gray-scale version looked really nice. There are several problem areas though. I would like to do a paintover but - when is the thing due?

The web of the forward hand is too straight on the pinky side
    The far hand is slightly too small
    His lower right leg is too square
    The head issues are odd, I can't quite figure out what's wrong...

I'll try to get the paint up either tonight or tomorrow morning. Keep hacking away at it!

Edit: Check it out, some one collected all of Kevin Chen's stuff into one place!
    Some wierd place

Last edited by Kitsu; July 10th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryn- Thanks! Fixed it. You spent three years on DA?! Geez, I can barely stand to browse the place...

Kitsu- It's due the 12th, so you got some time. Thanks for the crits, but I'll wait for the paintover so I'm sure what your talking about before I mess with it. As for the link, I love you so much right now. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go hog thier bandwidth.

I may update again later, but I had some time now so I'll update. Spent a few hours at the museum drawing sculptures. Also a few dinosaurs and birds (Birds were outside, not stuffed). Tried to see the skeletal structure underneath. Also, Supah-Secret CHOW sketches! Shhh, don't tell anyone. Also did a teeney-tiny update on the falling guy.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya joe! much hardwork going on here, great stuff. I like that last peice to very dynamic, keep pushing man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great to see all of this hardwork man, keep going like this!!
    Very nice birds, I tried drawing them from life once, my pen almost exploded because they moved so much

Try to render stuff much more though man, lines and renderings have to work together, not seperatly (although sure, you can do a line only drawing or a value only drawing)

One thing that should be practiced constantly (imo) is following the form of the object you are rendering with your strokes, look at how some artists do this and you will realise just how important it is for form!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello hello again, now i know you wanted a crit so i wentoverboard, i did a bit of a paintover, giving suggestions and a couple corrections, i hope you don't mind
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6650/sketchhelp8dh.jpg
    Okay so you thought your hand was a bit detached, if you can't find other ways and are unhappy with it, you can add a bit of elbow on the outside to show whats happening behind the hand, just a thought.
    His right leg and boot look too much like one thing, make the boot a bit thinner and i think his foot is a bit big. His coat tails/fronts look really flat, im not much for coloring, but someone might be able to give advice.
    His head needs more skull in the back and his eyes might be a bit too high.
    I agree with kitsu on all accounts too, i gave a crappy paintover here, the squarish leg needs to be fixed with the shading too.
    The side of his torso, im not sure but its a suit another peice of material around him right? You need to separate the two with at least a bump.
    As for the right calf/shin, i at first thought it was too small, now im not so sure.

So yeah, a lot of these are suggestions and personally i like the face, not so sure about the neck but the face looks like a real character.

Thumbs up on the birds and nice spot on the proportions. I hope i didn't bore you><><><!!>,<

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3