I'm not a stalker.....Honest!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm not a stalker.....Honest!!

Hehe, I went to the airport today to pick up my mum, and as I was waiting with my dad and sisters, I drew this guy here:

Question: How do you draw people in public without making them notice or feel intimidated? If anything, *I* feel more self-concious drawing them!

Share ye secrets

PS: Soz if someone's already asked this - the Search button isn't working for me for some reason.

Last edited by Quicksilver; December 29th, 2005 at 07:08 AM.
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres nothing wrong with intimidating people
    if he looks up at you just say WHAT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh..i do this with the neighborhood bums. they're kinda "out of it" anyway. Waaaaaaaayy out.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often draw people in the train, it's fun and good practice. I try not to stare at people too much, just take in the stuff I want to draw then do it. Most of my train stuff is straight up ink and I usually only havea few minutes to do em, so I haveta pay atention not to fog it up. On the other hand, I don't mind if they notice and I don't act suspicious while drawing them (not too much ). Also, it's extra fun if your subject is a cute girl (or guy):

You can see the start of her email adress there .

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you drew her on the train and got her email! you stalker!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my sb is full of people i drew at the mall. Hell yeah its akward when they look up and see you staring. its gotta be worse for them, because they know that they're now the focus of your studies, and they'll be real self concious about how they act, and what they do. I just keep on sketchin like nothings different.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Floris just taught us the moral of this thread- sketch cute gals and get emails! Simple as.
    Note- you might want to get as good as Floris at first

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Floris Didden
    ...You can see the start of her email adress there .
    Haha, I take it she spotted you? =P

my sb is full of people i drew at the mall. Hell yeah its akward when they look up and see you staring. its gotta be worse for them, because they know that they're now the focus of your studies, and they'll be real self concious about how they act, and what they do. I just keep on sketchin like nothings different.
    Fair enough...I still feel bad for them though. Maybe I think about it too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver
    Haha, I take it she spotted you? =P
    She never noticed a thing, showed it to her when I was done 8).

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to feel REALLY nervous about this, for example I would take everything with me find a good spot then when time to draw came i would freeze up and go back home. I took a couple life drawing classes and it started to become really easy and fun. Plus, if they have a problem with you drawing them then they're just looking for trouble cause it's NOT at all like taking photos of random people. Other then that Floris Didden had the best advice, look quickly and make connections in your head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes. draw hot girls in coffee shops. Get their numbers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI i am new here and i feel bad about drawing people to cause i drew my gov. teacher when he didnt know it and he got all mad about it and threatend me so be ware ..some people get violent. lol good work though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always draw during class, but unfortunately I'm in the front row so I normally end up drawing the teacher. So one day, I had drawn my teacher on my worksheet, and he collected them, and I was like "great..." Well, I got it back and it had comments like "the calf isn't proportional to the thiegh, but your arms are good" It was so awesome! People are normally flattered. Well, actually, not when they see my drawings but that is another story! Maybe, one day when I'm really good....
    -Mollyduker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm maybe sunglasses? too suspicious?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best way to be inconspicuous while sketching someone is yes, sunglasses. Additionally, a fedora and a long trenchcoat. There must be nothing worn under the trenchcoat, except perhaps dress socks and sandals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the strange looks, as well. I dislike making people feel uncomfortable (off the forums, that is), so I end up getting a lot of sketches from the side or of people reading. The thing is, folks tend to fidget a lot, so you really can't just work a pose to death. That leaves stealing as much information as you can and transferring it to paper very quickly, with quick glances to fill in where you're unsure.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i draw on the train all the time... it does suck when people notice you.. thats why i usually try and draw people sleeping... once thy notice you they dont stop staring at you.. and then if you totally botch the drawing and make them look like a cross between jabba the hut and an a wookie... but, i think the regular people on the train know me already so they dont bother me anymore... also draw quick... that helps alot!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep a knife with you, and you'll be fine. works for me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best thing is, especially when you're on the Tube/Bus. get your sketchbook out. Find any particular characteristic about the person you want to study. Memorise in quick notation form what was dark/light/highlights/shadows. Then fill in your blanks on your sketchbook without looking up one thereafter.

Normally if people look at you drawing, its OK too. Just concentrate on your artwork, because it was done in the spirit of artistry and honest appreciation

Gluck!

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I swear to god, it's easier for chicks to do this.

I remember being in Boston Commons with the Boston Sketch Group and I wanted to go sketch a group of kids playing on the swing sets. All of the guys I was with immediately stood still and backed away from me. I asked what was wrong and was told that they'd make the mothers in the area uncomfortable by watching/drawing their children.

I had never thought of that before. Still, I went over and sketched, and got smiles from the mothers and lots of excited questions from the kids.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if they say anything ask them if they would rather you draw the ugly wome/ guy next to them. this should boost their ego. if not draw hobos in your closest large city. usually one cigarette buys like 2 minutes. you do the math.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ususally they notice that you are drawing them, and typically are flattered....90% of the time people never inquire to even see how you see them.

It's funny. Usually people's egos are always wondering how others percieve them, but when someone draws them, they are too afraid to know the truth.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it's easier to draw a naked model in a art class then people on the street.......'paid' naked people are less intimidating.

I guess drawing animals at the zoo is easier?

If you draw people usually they ask questions or misinterpret your 'staring'.

I remember being in Boston Commons with the Boston Sketch Group and I wanted to go sketch a group of kids playing on the swing sets. All of the guys I was with immediately stood still and backed away from me. I asked what was wrong and was told that they'd make the mothers in the area uncomfortable by watching/drawing their children.
    They're guys. Have you ever visited a school, high school or elementary school, as a guy when you're over 18 years old? If you're not a teacher or not a parent, you better have a gawd damn good reason for being there.

All of the guys I was with immediately stood still and backed away from me. I asked what was wrong and was told that they'd make the mothers in the area uncomfortable

Last edited by NoSeRider; January 1st, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by koshime
    The best thing is, especially when you're on the Tube/Bus. get your sketchbook out. Find any particular characteristic about the person you want to study. Memorise in quick notation form what was dark/light/highlights/shadows. Then fill in your blanks on your sketchbook without looking up one thereafter.

Normally if people look at you drawing, its OK too. Just concentrate on your artwork, because it was done in the spirit of artistry and honest appreciation

Gluck!
    Great advice - thank you! =D

forever confused: Ouch. Sorry to hear that, confused.

willow-whisp: I never thought of that either. At least you got a positive response that time though. =)

Quote Originally Posted by otis
    Ususally they notice that you are drawing them, and typically are flattered....90% of the time people never inquire to even see how you see them.

It's funny. Usually people's egos are always wondering how others percieve them, but when someone draws them, they are too afraid to know the truth.
    That's so true. I never thought of things like this...

Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    ...The thing is, folks tend to fidget a lot, so you really can't just work a pose to death. That leaves stealing as much information as you can and transferring it to paper very quickly, with quick glances to fill in where you're unsure.
    Yeah, I realised that when I drew that guy at the airport (need to dump that crappy pencil too). I need to learn how to draw quicker, accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    I find it's easier to draw a naked model in a art class then people on the street.......'paid' naked people are less intimidating.
    Aye, I found out there are life drawing classes every fortnight at a place by town, so I'll look for the times (and whether I can afford it. Do they usually cost much? I can't do it in college because my timetable doesn't fit in with the Fine Art students and I don't want to start out by having to draw an ugly shrivelled up old man :|)

But although it's probably easier, I'd like to draw people doing their everyday thing anyway - it would push me to look at the important details rather than fussing over the little things too much like I usually do.

Last edited by Quicksilver; January 1st, 2006 at 08:19 AM.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quicksilver, I'm afraid you'll eventually have to draw an "ugly shrivelled up old man" as you can't hand pick the models yourself. Unless you pay for your own one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I find drawing "ugly shrivelled up old man" great fun, and a challenge to all the curves you usually do.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and about picking up gorgeous girls whilst sketching i coffe shops, its amazing. Girls like that are very selfconcious and as soon as they notice you are sketich them they usually go all posey and smiley and stuff. I think it actually gets them off. Man, but their low self esteem boyfriends sure do give some dirty looks to ya, so be careful, dont get in a fight!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asoir&timpaatkins: Yah, I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're bothered by making people feel uncomfortable, you could ask a promise from say some of your family members or friends. Just generally, if they'd mind you drawing them.
    I asked a friend of mine, and she didn't mind at all - so now I've drawn her many-many-many times... and it's so relieving for me, since I KNOW she doesn't mind no matter what the outcome is.
    And it has proven me that people really don't notice everything around them all that clearly.

(Sounds a bit creepy as well, though. But the point would be that YOU don't feel bothered about drawing people... you can't help it if you choose someone who feels bothered about being drawn, but it helps you a lot if you don't feel horribly awkward about the possibility of that happening. Or something.)

Last edited by dmitri; January 1st, 2006 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no problem with drawing people in the bus or anywhere else, I just have a problem if they wanna see how I draw them. This is kinda really emberassing for me since I know that maybe my drawing doesn't even look a bit like the "model", so that the people might feel dissapointed about the result that came out of my pencil, lol. ths is a real problem for me and the main reason why I do not draw people in cafés or in the bus. This sucks damn hard and I really wanna change this but somehow the inhibition is too big :/

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.