C.O.W. - #033: Firework Spewer

Round #033

Topic:
    Firework Spewer

Deadline:
    Thursday, 05th January 2006

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Last edited by Fozzybar; December 30th, 2005 at 07:28 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am thinking of a creature which "produces" fireworks, as we know it from the turn of the year or open air events...i am not sure if "spitter" would be the right wording, so if you know a better description tell me

Of course the purpose of the creatures firework producing is totally up to your own concept...whether for defending, attacking or whatever...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright what about emitter? and do the fireworks have to go out of the body of this so called "firework spitter?" :p also how was your vacation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, emitter sounds good...i thought of it also, but somehow it isn't a name you would give a creature, it sounds more technical in my eyes...

and well, i think the best way is to make it going out of the critter...i can't think of another way...

My vacation was something between boring and not so bad thank you for asking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'm a lurker on the boards and rarely have anything to say, and have yet to get the guts to post a piece... but I ran "spit" through a thesaurus and here are the results:

banish, bounce, bump, cast out, chuck, debar, disbar, discharge, disgorge, dislodge, dismiss, displace, dispossess, ditch, drive off, dump, eliminate, emit, eradicate, eruct, erupt, evacuate, evict, exclude, expel, expulse, extrude, fire, force out, heave out, irrupt, kick out, kiss goodbye, oust, reject, rout, sack, sending packing, spew, spit out, spout, squeeze out, throw out, throw overboard, turn out, unloose, vomit.

I'm a a fan of Fire Spewer or Eruptor... Those sound the most "organic"

Just my opinion, maybe i'll doodle something up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like vomit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by romance
    i like vomit
    that's one of those quotes that can come back to haunt you . . .

Who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes? - Chico Marx

sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    firework farter..

Firework 'Spitter' makes it sound like it has to come from the mouth. Saying 'emitter' makes it sound more general, but like you said sounds quite technical. The last word could just be left to the artist.

Firework Spewer is quite good. firework excreter, firework discharger, firework unloader..

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i changed it to "Firework Spewer"...

Just do a creature which somehow produces firework...dammit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it wrong that this is the first thing I thought of when I read the original description (firework spitter)?

I in no way condone putting firecrackers in the mouth of a bullfrog, I however don't speak for a few friends of mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Company's up tomorrow, I'm probably not going to have time to work on this any more before the deadline, so this'll have to be my final for now.

Fire Bird- Widely considered one of nature's biggest mistakes, this small, normally flightless bird had only one measure of defense against predators. When startled, the terrified bird would become so hot that it would rocket straight up into the air, eventually exploding into a small, yet colorful, puff of smoke. While this technique was excellent at deterring predators, it was obviously a bit detrimental to the bird's health; unsurprisingly this species no longer exists.

My Sketchbook
    It's when you can't hear the bats, that's when the bats are coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL grey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At first I thought that bird was some kind of weird fish with wing ears...
    Nice creature, it makes me happy inside.

"The grenade, after you pull the pin, is no longer your friend."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

My first COW attempt:

Lesser Whizzbang of Wobic Dejado:

Running wild across most of Wobic Dejado's night side, the Lesser Whizzbangs (as well as the Greater, Mammoth and Colossal Whizzbangs) have developed pyrotechnics as a form of long range communication and extravagant display. The unique metabolism of the Whizbang processes and bioaccumulates large quantities of sodium, barium, copper and strontium salts, as well as a considerable volume of hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, which it can combine into a reactive mixture analogous to that of the bombardier beetle. The Whizzbang deposits a egglike fireworks pod which spontaneously deflagrates in air, sending it skyward where it detonates at great height. Each pod colour corresponds to particular information on the current situation of a whizzbang.

As gregarious animals, concerted displays are easily and breathtakingly visible from some distance away from the planet.

[edit: general tweaks]

Last edited by Snarfevs; January 4th, 2006 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spellin'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I'll make it this round, but I wanted to say these are looking really nice! silentkitty I really like the funny expression on yours, and Snarfevs, that is one awsome first cow! For some reason I don't like the toes too much, maybe if they were less spherical... but thats just a personal taste really. Great entry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EXCELLENT ENTRY SNARFEVS!

I don't know if I will be able to enter. I have been pretty busy lately and I am leaving for SCAD again on the 3rd. We shall see what happens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    COW #33 : Firework Spewer.

C.O.W. - #033: Firework SpewerC.O.W. - #033: Firework Spewer
    (Lab Specimen)
    "Ogero Umero Canyo Hum"

O.U.C.H is one of the weirdest creatures residing on the darker side of planet Otlipz-23/4. for 200 years this creature (also known as "fireworks spewer" also known as "hot launcher" also known as "yor ma-ma") was thought
    to be extinct. only recently it was rediscoverd after a firey encounter with mankind. the o.u.c.h. being an omnivore feeds on whatever crosses its path, storing and building energy for its mating season. than, in a spectacular display of colorful fireworks, he begins its 3 hours courtship, showing off for the ladies.

(accidentally the o.u.c.h. magnificent ability is used
    by the local population in the one and only holiday
    they celebrate. the holy "o.u.c.h eyt-urts" which means in
    the native tounge -"Ogero Umero Canyo Hum shall prosper".)

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; January 3rd, 2006 at 11:01 AM.
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is something neat, an animation, great way of showing how it works chuck,mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went a bit samurai jack with the design bit over simple.

The 'Cracker Back' lives on Yungpung a planet with a highly sulphurous atmosphere and large maize like trees, which this creature has to deal with by having external lungs made of activated charcoal on an organic lattice. The unfortnate 'Cracker Back' excretes both urine and faeces from the top of its forehead the potassium nitrate crystalises from the mixture on the sulphur covered, carbon breathing fins on the creatures back. Every couple of years the creatures fore lung is so coated in gunk that it is disgarded and replaced by the fin from behind. This process can result in quite a dense layer of explosive powder in the regularly foraged areas of woodland on the planet, when the innevitable forest fire occurs these slow moving bipeds obviously are in definite trouble, and will get rid of any burning body parts at extreme speed, breathing fins flying through the air are quite common.

sweet animation you got there cm great sense of motion and squishyness

Last edited by young paddy1; January 1st, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phlegm Balls of Uranus
    these creatures actually inhabit the subsurface oceans on Europa, but the name, coined by deep system miners (and the punchline to one of the most popular bar jokes of the 22nd Century), stuck. They crawl across the lightless ocean floors using their biolumenescent spittle to attract prey. When startled or threatened by predators, the phospor-based mucous is released in a concentrated burst that detonates in a brilliant searing flash upon impact. This has proven to be a very effective survival technique, and in groups the display can be quite awe inspiring.

sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool entries so far!
    bennet that's just evil, man, evil . . . but a clever solution
    silentkitty nice concept, sad and funny at the same time -- I agree the bird looks a little fishlike, but there's flying fish so it makes sense
    snarfevs great first entry (this is only my third so welcome to another newcomer); you've got a great range of texture skills
    chuckmate that animation's brilliant, I love it - you should seriously consider resizing that and make it the main bit, either way you've got my vote
    young paddy intense concept, simple clean design like you said, I totally see the samurai jack connection

sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Incendia Makker

This is my first C.O.W. entry.

Incendia Makker

This creature uses its tremenous plasma spew as method of attracting mates during the breeding season. Unfortunately for the Incendia Makker, the energy required to produce the single burst exhausts the animal to such an extent that intercourse and fertilization efforts afterwards usually result in the death of the animal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pr0ph3t, YoungPaddy1 - thanks dudes.

grey - thank you. the animation is just a little somethn` somethn` to make my creature more...lively. the design
    and rendering is more what i`m going for here.
    i`m glad you liked it.
    love the light and shade on your piece b.t.w. the lower parts of the creature especially. kudos.

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; January 2nd, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
    -Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I was previously going by 4thAngle but since I'll probably become a bit more active (having finished uni) I've made a better alias - My CA life in 20 or so words.
    Anyway, here's my first attempt at a COW. Followed by a rant I cut short (probably for the best). Sweet entries so far... Nice description, Chuck. hehe

The Fireworks Spewer, or Happytime Winged Beast, is a truely cursed species. Originating in the dark labs of Agniskus (also known as Button Mash), it was intended to be a labouring creature for use in conjunction with Dwarven mining. Alchemists bred a skyward golem with powerful wings and internal storage capacity to transport volcanic ore to cities from mines.

Theoretically, the plan would be a huge success, but once the first specimen reached a healthy size it became increasingly apparent that noone knew how to train it. After being directed to a volcanic deposit the creature took an instant liking to this rare delight, and consequently, instead of storing ore the creature devoured it. Prone to over-indulgence, it was gradually consuming all on-sight ore, turning the rare volcanic resources into a colourful bi-product of the golem's digestive tract (or lack thereof). As a result it also posed a huge threat to nearby life. It was like napalm rain when old Happytime got the rumbles, and countless dwarves stopped, dropped and rolled to no avail.

Desparate to undo their wrong, the Agniskans held a conference to decide upon the creature's fate. Many ideas were proposed but none as bold as that of Duke Railin. "It's beyond saving!" Railin proclaimed. "But fear not, I have devised a way to beat this colossal stone golem!.. Last night I was playing a game with young Iphney when it dawned upon me. Paper beats rock!.."

Last edited by Simon Boxer; January 2nd, 2006 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a note:

animations aren't accepted for COW...nothing against you Chuck,mate. but once coondoggle posted an animation and it was rejected also

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Firework Spewer WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    just a note:

animations aren't accepted for COW...nothing against you Chuck,mate. but once coondoggle posted an animation and it was rejected also
    his animation was really more of a demo to go along with the original picture i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FOZZ - i have no intention to post animations here as entries. this is concept design, not animation amateurs.

but occasionally i will add a gif. file depicting my design
    acting out, unless that`s a problem.
    hope it`s alright with everyone.

-Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, it's alright of course, as i said it was just a note

Post all you want, hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like Bennett went with a similar approach... oh well, so much for originality -_-

Hope this stays up for a bit. Got to use Imageshack...

The Firework Spewer is a very rare creature. It's very peaceful, slow and easygoing. Most of the time they just sleep or eat. It's only defense are the small craters on it's back that shoot an exploding substance in all directions when the FS get's aggravated. Most enemies flee the spectacle.
    The Reason why there's so few of these is not the number of natural enemies, it's the number of unfortunate accidents that happen during mating that led to their dramatic decline.

Last edited by Sonnenkind; January 4th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1