Disaster.....

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Disaster.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    320
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Cool Disaster.....

    I had finished pencilling a perfectly fine page.

    Only one thing remained before I could scan and send it.

    I needed to erase a couple lines.

    So, I reached for the eraser and started furiously erasing it.

    That was the plan, at least.



    See, I like to keep pieces of plasticine handy, you never know when you are gonna need to visualise something.



    Maybe it was exhaustion from a 4 hours sleep, but my brain only managed to shout to my muscles the order to -STOP! by the 2rd erasing motion.



    I shared mine, now share yours.

    What´s the last worst tragedy/disaster that has happened to your work?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Grabbed my trusty eraser to nuke some lines and all of the sudden it wasn't as trusty anymore, with everything smeared to shit in that "this will NEVER be erased" way. I'd left it sitting too long and it degraded, I suppose.


    Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Whenever you want to scan a page but feel you should erase a couple of lines before scanning.....scan the damn page and erase the lines digitally. That's why we have photoshop.

    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 98 Times in 35 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Two types of disaster crop up most commonly:

    PS: colour -> colour -> colour -> colour -> note that I've just been colouring in my linework layer for the last hour.

    PS: I think I'll send a WIP to a friend before I go to bed -> flatten image -> save (instead of save for web) -> close PS -> go to bed.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,422
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 677 Times in 248 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    "I think I'll add a liiiiittle more ink and OH MY GOD I SPILLED THE BOTTLE!"

    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEW ZEALAND
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    when you erase a mistake and then the paper tears, but you still have to keep rubbing and the paper still keeps tearing..

    Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    2,443
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 98 Times in 47 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    "I think I'll add a liiiiittle more ink and OH MY GOD I SPILLED THE BOTTLE!"
    haha been there, I spilled a bottle of sumi ink on my lap in class... hey ladies!

    oil washes on pencil drawings, spend hours rendering this thing and you forget to spray crystal clear on it... then whoosh! your drawing is gone, eaten by the turp.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,393
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    in my 4th year at school, I decided to put my ass into it and do a 6 1/2 by 7 foot multi-figure painting for end of the year student show. From start to finish it was full of frustrations, mainly in the costruction of a stretcher frame (made of 2x4's with the help of a carpenter friend to minimize the chances of warping) and then in the subsequent warping that happened inevitably.

    Anyhow, day of the show, I'm scrambling to get my frame strips attached so I can haul it over (weighed at least 100 lbs. with it's 2x4 skeleton). I'm pissed the fuck off, standing on a ladder nailing the heavy 7 foot oak strip on, when I loose my grip somehow and the strip sliiiiiiiiides down the painted surface and clatters to the floor as I'm shouting "oh fuuuuuuck!". In the wake of the strip, there was a nice set of scratches and a hole in the painting about the size of a dime when it banged against an inner support 2x4 edge. Managed to get it patched and camoflauged in time to hang it, but oh my god was I a wreck.

    I spent a good part of the night asking friends at the show "can you see the patch? can you see the patch?"

    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

    New books and process DVD available NOW!

    www.dvpalumbo.com

    Quickie blog (nudity)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    2,452
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    i used spray-glue instead of spray-fix once.
    i now check the can obssesively before using it.

    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vancouver.WA.USA
    Posts
    2,515
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 96 Times in 36 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfevs
    Two types of disaster crop up most commonly:

    PS: colour -> colour -> colour -> colour -> note that I've just been colouring in my linework layer for the last hour.

    PS: I think I'll send a WIP to a friend before I go to bed -> flatten image -> save (instead of save for web) -> close PS -> go to bed.
    I've done variations of both. Especially the second one, I was working on a piece for my friends book and was posting WIPs up on the web. Turns out the very LAST one I worked on, where I pretty much added all the details, I saved the flattend, resized for web display jpeg. Didn't realize it until a few weeks later when I went to turn all the pictures in. Suck!

    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 103 Times in 34 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    one word: "ACHOO!!" the result: 14 hours of pencil and inkwork covered in an interesting patina of slime and saliva...

    i have sneezed towards my right shoulder ever since...


    "How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

    *** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

    MY HOMEPAGE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Either I haven't had many major disasters or I have selective memory loss.

    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,105
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 515 Times in 187 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Ok, for my graduation project I had HUGE ambitions. And I mean HUGE. My mentor told me when I told him what I wanted to do: You just described a project that woill take 6 people 6 months to do. (i wanted to make a trailer for this idea i had) And you wanna do it alone in 12 weeks. And you have no money. But I did it damn it.

    It wasnt polished and perfect but I did it, by living in the school basement for the last 3 weeks, sleeping 3 hours every second day to try and get it done. NO sleep 4 days before the show, I still hadnt gotten a TV to show my little movie on.

    ON THE OPENINING DAY, my friends managed to borrow a 42" plasma TV from a bank! I jumped in a taxi to get it, the show had alreday opened, my parents were up to see what I had spent so much time on, everything is coming together, I had never ever been so stressed for such a long period of my life before. I lean the tv against a wodden "room separator" so I could pull cables to my computer. As I look around I see how the TV slowly falls over and lands on the floor.

    The feeling was indescribable. My heart stopped, and I couldnt believe it. I start screaming NONONON (I couldnt stop), lift the screen slowly...

    Cracked and broken. I can actually still almost hear the moment my mind just snapped. Tears roll down my face uncontrolably as I slide out to my smiling parents who quickly realize something is wrong.

    I was a wreck, never felt so low before. But the guy in charge of the exhibiton also happened t be my classmate, so he just said to me- Well take care of it" and managed to fix a new screen in 30 min, plus insurance for the old one. Turn out the exhibiton group all decided to take mone out of their celebratory dinner to rent an overpriced panasonic just for me.

    Best and Worst of 2005

    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

    This would be my Pleine Air blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    ...I was a wreck, never felt so low before. But the guy in charge of the exhibiton also happened t be my classmate, so he just said to me- Well take care of it" and managed to fix a new screen in 30 min, plus insurance for the old one. Turn out the exhibiton group all decided to take mone out of their celebratory dinner to rent an overpriced panasonic just for me.

    Best and Worst of 2005
    Awww bless, that was so sweet of them! Glad it turned out for the better, tim.

    I can't think of anything really......exept white-lying to a load of Graphic Designers (including my teacher) and people who worked for the Council at the Inter-school Technology Awards.....They think I took 2 years to complete my project - prototypes and final products and all - when really it took me 2 1/2 weeks with minimal sleep before the deadline.

    Won first prize though. Booyah. 8)

    That kinda makes me look bad, hehe. Seriously, my teacher was more stressed out than me - he would've broken down if I told him the truth =/


    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

    UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 539 Times in 203 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Spent a whole working day on a concept design, did not save once - stupid - came home time I printed out a single and closed the work without saving. PWN3d.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 539 Times in 203 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins
    Ok, for my graduation project I had HUGE ambitions. And I mean HUGE. My mentor told me when I told him what I wanted to do: You just described a project that woill take 6 people 6 months to do. (i wanted to make a trailer for this idea i had) And you wanna do it alone in 12 weeks. And you have no money. But I did it damn it.

    It wasnt polished and perfect but I did it, by living in the school basement for the last 3 weeks, sleeping 3 hours every second day to try and get it done. NO sleep 4 days before the show, I still hadnt gotten a TV to show my little movie on.

    ON THE OPENINING DAY, my friends managed to borrow a 42" plasma TV from a bank! I jumped in a taxi to get it, the show had alreday opened, my parents were up to see what I had spent so much time on, everything is coming together, I had never ever been so stressed for such a long period of my life before. I lean the tv against a wodden "room separator" so I could pull cables to my computer. As I look around I see how the TV slowly falls over and lands on the floor.

    The feeling was indescribable. My heart stopped, and I couldnt believe it. I start screaming NONONON (I couldnt stop), lift the screen slowly...

    Cracked and broken. I can actually still almost hear the moment my mind just snapped. Tears roll down my face uncontrolably as I slide out to my smiling parents who quickly realize something is wrong.

    I was a wreck, never felt so low before. But the guy in charge of the exhibiton also happened t be my classmate, so he just said to me- Well take care of it" and managed to fix a new screen in 30 min, plus insurance for the old one. Turn out the exhibiton group all decided to take mone out of their celebratory dinner to rent an overpriced panasonic just for me.

    Best and Worst of 2005
    aw you poor guy, I woulda chipped in for you too!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    La Crescenta, CA
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    My sophemore year in College--

    Final Project in a painting class. Most poeple do stupid crap but I decide to blow them away with an awesome painting; a 9 foot high by 4 foot wide monster of a canvas of a character of my own design: 'Lawrence the Barbarian.' The layout was modeled after a couple frazetta paintings, classic "warrior on pile of dead bodies" pose... I did tons of sketches and prep, but once it came to the actual painting it was fraught with problems.

    First off, the stretchers did *not* work. Personally I blame my education that taught us how to Use Derridean Deconstrcution on paintings but not how to make stretchers.
    Second, I had nowhere to paint the thing since the studio allotted to us was a joke, so out of desperation I staple the canvas to my apartment wall only to find out that my apartment ceilings are only 8 feet high... so the bottom foot of the painting was painted rolled out on the floor.
    After that, transfering the image from a 9x11 sketch to a 9x4 canvas... well, lets just say I've never used the "grid method" again. I finally get the thing on there and get going. Painting is going well, except I'm pressed for time, so I stay up for TWO CONCURRENT DAYS with no sleep, missing all of my other classes to work on this thing. I finally finish it a few hours before it's due- I string it up on some impromptu stretchers (It was suspended between them, like when you strecth a skin on stretchers... I figured it was more "barbarian like") and start carrying the thing to our studio. On the way it catches the wind and, acting like a sail, almost takes off a few times... theres still some little bits of stuff in the paint from those gusts of wind. I finally get it there to see most of the class hurriedly finishing their puny still lifes and self portraits... They are all wowed, both at the painting and my haggard appearance.

    Since there was like 3 or 4 hours until class and I had nothing better to do, I go back to my apartment and decide to sleep for just few hourse to prep myself for the big final crit.

    I woke up half an hour after my class ended to one of my classmates that had come to my apartment after class, wondering why i had missed the final crit.

    *sigh*

    -Andrew


    edit: I thought I should include a pic of the masterpiece. Here's the fella himself, four years old and still going strong! I remember being pretty proud of him at the time... now it's just a pile of errors but fun all the same!
    Disaster.....
    Lawrence the Barbarian!

    Last edited by Waffle_King; January 3rd, 2006 at 05:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #18
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,234
    Thanks
    860
    Thanked 847 Times in 457 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I've had my share of flattened layers. Now I number my files, work a few hours: pieceofcrap1, work on it 3 more hours, save it as pieceofcrap2, I sometimes have 8-9 versions. But at least, If I mess one up, I have just lost 2 hours instead of everything.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook