Coppola's MARIE ANTOINETTE w/Kirsten Dunst

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Coppola's MARIE ANTOINETTE w/Kirsten Dunst

Directed by the creative talent of Sofia Coppola who gave us the recent Lost in Translation

Scheduled for release 2006 Marie Antoinette...

''What the Movie Is About: Dunst stars as the young Austrian who got married off to a Frenchman, lost her head over fancy clothes, and then really lost her head to the blade of the guillotine. Schwartzman co-stars as Louis XVI, her politically (and sexually) ineffectual husband.''

A period piece with that same hip push that was present in Lost In Translation, when first shown the trailer i was shocked...yet the mood/style complements that almost 80's tip of the hat to a woman who lived life of affluent society, money, sex, drugs and 5 string quartet?
    The slight "hand held" feel allows for something i have never experienced in a period piece up untill now... (loved Dangerous Liasions click on the dangerous liasons dvd cover)

I am interested to see how the history is portrayed in a film style such as this and dialogs of such a social culture..it could be very interesting. For all of us who love there R&D link: MARIE ANTOINETTE QUICK BIO

Last edited by staceydiana; June 8th, 2006 at 02:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That .. was.. suprising. I mean the music and font treatment at the end of the trailer was totally unexpected. Then again, it's a Sofia Coppola flick. It's really hard to keep in mind that there will probably going to be some crazy ass history deformities in this flick but oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The trailer made it look like some teen movie, without a trace of historical importance. I hope the movie is different.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The music and the text had that impact that feels young-ish I would say it's more because the music/font feels very eighties. It's great to see a film push what we all consider to be a "history" flick...without that the genre could get stale...remmeber that this is a film about Marie Antoinette, and it seems to not be taking itself too seriously...it's also still in production that's the only a taste of the film.

All in all it seems like a film where you put youre "alternative" hats on, sit back and watch....no matter what it should stimulate for better or for worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think with genre films of this type there is a very distinct style in the realm of conventional cinema. With Lost in Translation to her credit, Cop probably feels she has the springboard she needs to make the changes she sees fit in the visual style.

Even the shot of the group comming down the stairs seems hand held which is a very rare thing in this type of film.

But it is one thing to be fresh and dynamic, another to be overt and obvious about it, the text and soundtrack were dead wrong for that trailer not matter how catchy and contemporary it was meant to be.

Still though, it looks fun, and fun is well worth $10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    presence: (nice avatar) I def agree I had a WTF reaction......but I have yet to be insulted by Coppola.....honestly this got my attention because of the text, the music.....IMO the music matches the film in an interesting way..........horses galloping, giggling party girls, drinking, gambling and sexy ball gowns......"eighties" party madness ;P......and a damn fine costuming job by Milena Canonero, who brought us: The life aquatic with steve zissou, solaris, titus, godfather(s), a clock work orange.......yadda yadda....

EDIT>>>>I am interested and exicted by how "controversial" this trailer and the accompanying music are causing us all to react.....I wounder what will be done in the film.....and if they will have the "balls" to push this music "style" or if this is just a shocker....

anyways here's the new trailer guys MARIE ANTOINETTE you can spooge youre pants by downloading it in 1080p!! hehe
    i didn't know that was available for dl purposes...

Last edited by staceydiana; June 8th, 2006 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That .. was.. suprising. I mean the music and font treatment at the end of the trailer was totally unexpected.
    Same thing for me. Initial reaction was - WTF?!!?

I've also seen the trailer a few weeks back and I think I'm gonna give it a pass until it comes out on DVD - assuming I can interest my roommates into the French Revolution.

PS: After reading thru staceydiana's provided link on Marie Antoinette, I'm inclined to think she's not even that important a historical figure at all. Tragic yes - important....mmmm....maybe.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    PS: After reading thru staceydiana's provided link on Marie Antoinette, I'm inclined to think she's not even that important a historical figure at all. Tragic yes - important....mmmm....maybe.
    *GASP* She's one of the pivotal figures of the revolution and the end of the monarchy. A lot has been blamed on her, at least by the revolutionary propaganda. Anyhow I'm probably at a bias since having studied in France.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That only means I gotta do more reseach then!

But honestly, on the surface she's at the wrong place, at the wrong time, doing all the wrong things (at least to the common people of her time). Unfortunate character - seemingly having everything, but in actuality having nothing.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.