Art: Aliens
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Aliens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aliens

Just today i got a new lens as a groupd christmas gift - the Canon 60mm Macro lens for my Canon 20D

I tested it out on some toys/models i have
    *note* - none of these photos were edited in any way in PS except by adding a border

These photos are dark - if you cannot see them well perhaps try increasing the brightness on your monitor. I can see these fine on my LCD monitor, but i think some will have trouble if they're using CRT monitors.

Last edited by ShadeOfDawn; December 23rd, 2005 at 10:08 PM.
    Male, 19
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Camera: Canon 20D

Portfolio: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59036
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. phantastic! ...but a little creepy. did you use a flash? merry x-mas, enjoy your lens.
    p.s.: looks good on my lcd-monitor...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Merry x-mas to you too!

and no, i did not use a flash, they were directly under a yellowy orange light.

i got bored and went and snapped some more:

Male, 19
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just me, or, are they all unsharp? I cant seem to find a single point that's sharp in any of them. Are they shot handheld?

Yes, they are very dark. And, well, IMO not very close. I wouldn't recognise any of the pictures as macro. Unless of course the alien models are VERY tiny.

I'm sorry, but I'd recommend you to look for something more compelling to depict. Play with the white balance, and the lighting. Throw away the shots that arent sharp. And one more thing. Don't underexpose them all. At least not this much. Don't get me wrong, it can be quite a nice effect, if done properly.

Hope to see some new shots with the macro lens. I'm sure you'll blow me away

I went not too far enough

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These were shot handhelt, and theres only about 3 or 4 i'd say that dont have a sharp point - some like the first i realise are blurry, but i think that it kind of gives some feeling to the picture.

The pictures are dark, but if you have an LCD monitor with the brightness at max they should look fine (although still dark pictures). And no, none of them are very close, i didnt intend them to be. The toys/models are fairly small though. I do believe that the lens allows me to get a tighter shot to give the pictures more of a feel from the movies.

Have you seen the Alien movies? to me these pictures look like they could be from them (although its possible to tell the that they are plastic toys). I wasnt going for an artistic photography here and i was only really expecting these pictures to appeal to fans of the movies. Theres only one photo in here that i like as an artistic picture. For the rest i was just screwing around with my lens. I would be outside taking pictures with my lens but theres nothing interesting in the half melted snow, and its been overcast and gloomy since i got my lens which is annoying - i did manage however to get one interesting show but i've been waiting to post it in a thread with other things. you can have a look if ya like:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...lassbubble.jpg

thanks for the comments =)

Male, 19
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whow, those shots are creepy, in the good-scaring-alien-way of course. ; )
    The darkness is perfect imho and the fat black border gives the pictures an even more claustrophobic feeling.

Nicely done.

And you waterdropshot is just as cool, maybe a bit lacking in sharpness but I like the composition and usage of dof.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!! I really liked these photos. I am a fan of the Alien films also. Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how he's creeping out of the darkness in the last one. It's hard to tell that it's a model in the last one, too. Did you wet it at all? Looks great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments again guys! an no Bill i did not wet any of them - they were just shiny. In case anyone is wondering these are made by Spawn Toys and are around $10 a piece USD i believe (i'm Canadian so im not sure how much they cost in the stated with the exchange).

Male, 19
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Members who have read this thread: 1