Sketchbook: Ling's Boring Sketchbook (updated four years later)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ling's Boring Sketchbook (updated four years later)

ATTN: CHECK LAST PAGE FOR NEWER DRAWING.

-----------

Oldstuff
    1 I did this a week or two ago... It's a picture of my sis. Personally I think she looks too old. She's only 7. O_o; I think it might be something to do with her head shape. And it's not round enough. ;_;

2 Bubble gum!

3 I did that a day after the above picture. I think there's some wrong the the lips... I'm not sure how to make it look like a lip. o_o

4 Character concept. Name's Eclair and she's 13 years old.

5 Another character concept! o_O Doka! Yay for my fire breathing lizard! yay for more inking practice!
    Click. Blah. Took to much space. =[

more later. -.-' photo bucket's hating me!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SillyLing; December 21st, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    6 Printing? O_o Lithagraphy. o_O I'm not sure what's it's called. D:! It has something to do with craving out something and then puting ink on it...The letter's are my friends.... The character's mine! I created the character sometime like a couple of years ago. ^^; 100% traditional.

7 Me! Slightly better shading. P=

8 No reference with this. I had the art teacher to fix it. -.-' I'm not sure it's quite right. ^^;

blah.

Last edited by SillyLing; December 22nd, 2005 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    9 Pastels..... mm.... I wub pastels. ^_^

10 Me and my bf.

11 quick study. xP

Last edited by SillyLing; December 22nd, 2005 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the forums

#1 doesn't look quite right like you said, you already covered it though.
    #2 The eyes are a bit high and his neck is too narrow for his head...it almost looks like a bobblehead. His pupils and eye lids could be darker also. His lips are off like you said and the bubble gum ...I dunno...it just doesn't look right.
    #3 That's not a bad drawing i just think it's hilarious that you drew yourself with that kind of expression
    #7. I guess the picture that you drew of yourself is best thing you've posted so far.

that's all I could think of. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe. ^^; Thanks. I still think no.7 still has problems with the lips.
    ---
    12 bf; Dec 19

13 There's a monster under my bed... -.-;Dec 19

14 My take on fashion designing. Dec 20th

15 Dec. 22nd- Pretty much how I'm feeling right now. =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awesome

sister's portrait- I like this picture a lot she has a subtle smile and the cross hatching on the face is really interesting and nice. I don't know what your sister looks like but I would assume that the chin you drew is too broad, it's very chiseled, kind of heroic looking. You have the same chin in your next pic, but it looks more appropriate on a guy. Her neck may be a bit too wide as well.

Bubble Gum - The eyes and nose seem too high on the face in this one. Also the eyes look like they are aiming outward and they may be a bit too far apart. Eye's are usually one length apart, there are of course exceptions, but mostly it's true. Bubble Gum is a challenging thing to tackle in a pencil drawing without color, personally I would push it further if I was going to draw that. Making his cheeks puffed out in a blowing manner, making the bubble twice as big and maybe make him corss-eyed, focusing on the gum. The shirt collar is nicely rendered.

Portrait #3 - Once again, the neck seems a little too wide. The shading on the nose is awesome though. The problem with the mouth is the hard edge around the lips, that line should be softer, and then a little harder at the edges of the mouth. Also the top lip in this lighting situation might look better if it was a shade or two darker overall compared to the bottom lip. I might also make the shadows on the left side of the image darker, right now it is a little too even across the face and it sort of flattens it out a bit. One trick to try is to look at your subject and squint, or defocus your eyes so the look blurry. When you do this you can see the difference in shadow value more obviously. Do the same at your picture to see if you've matched the drama. When lighting the people you are drawing the more dramatic the light, the easier it is to capture often.

Overall comments on portraits - You are doing a really great job capturing differences and personality in your portraits, one thing to try to add more depth and interest is to try and draw some people from a 3/4 view, it's much easier to make them look 3D and shadows look much more interesting. Look up "portrait photography" on google to see how professional photographers layout their shots to see what I mean.

Love the concept pic! Super cute. The dragon is even better. Is there a story behind them?

Dead Bunny - Very cool, good layout, nice textural quality. It doesn't need it but it might be fun to add some color in photoshop, mayeb some dark red.

Self-portrait - very nice, good angle, I love the rough box around it too. Your hair on the right of the pic could be darker especially around the ear, and my comments earlier about lips could apply here.

The boxer - I like the feeling of this one. His punching hand might be tilted towards him a bit too much though It should more be the same angle as his forearm. A background would be cool for this one.

The pastel drawings - very cool, great style and colors. Very cute pics.

The underwear studdies - These are cool and a great thing to practice. Do tons of these! Look up the book "Drawing comics the Marvel way" for some fun figure drawing info.

The BF - really nice shading, but I still think that the eyes are a bit too far apart.

The monster - This is your coolest cartoon pic so far.I love how the eyes look in different directions.

The fashion pics - great costume studies, your line weight on these is really nice as well.

This is a great start to your sketchbook! I really look forward to watching it grow. Keep up the fantastic work.

--------------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Head of 3d
    Shape Minds and Moving Images GmbH
    Berlin, Germany

http://www.chrissmallfield.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Very in-dept and helpful too. ^_^;

*One thing I didn't notice was the the whole BIG broad chin things. It's not like I didn't have problems with it. o_O; I just didn't notice the whole chin being very alike on each of them. And now to fix them.... And adding varation to them. o.o Blah.

*Ya. There's a huge story behind the two characters that I put up. (They're the characters from that children's comic. that I wrote about in the pm. =/) I'm just vaguely putting in it in words. I know where they're born, their past, their pesent and the furture. ^_^ I know how they act like and etc. I created them, I should know. XD For the girl, I'll be drawing her in another style. I don't like her circle eyes as eyes and she just doesn't fit in the world as the human race. =/ Blah.
    * as for getting some areas more darker. I'm using a 6b pencill for shading in the dark spot. >_< And it's not getting any darker. O_O; If I pressed any harder... it'll rip the page. o.o; That would be bad. I'll find a way to get it darker one of these days.

* I'm forcusing one thing at a time. The frontal view and the side view. =/ I know I'm having trouble with where the eyes are supposed to be and aligning them so it's straight on the paper. >.<

Yep. That's what I have to say. End of comment. O_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    17 two prints of my devil thing.. o_O;

18 Dec 22 - Actually I like this picture alot. o_O;I might throw this into my portiflio...

19 Dec 22 - meh. Something to past time in class. =_= I have no intention to finish it. =/ Though he could be used as a character concept for later.

Last edited by SillyLing; December 23rd, 2005 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably off topic and totally unrelated to my sketch book.... but it's ART!

Anyways for the last few days, I have been busy with painting on fabric. I'm actually very proud of my self with these.

20 It has glitter and it's shiney. Strapless dress

21 So I painted my backpack to match my dress.

22 I hate fruit baskets with passion. I hate it! I dispise it. I dislike it! I unlike it. I UNlove it. Is there anymore ways I can say I hate Fruitbaskets. My shirt says so. It's a zombie kyo... (I hope he gets runover by the billion and trillions of fangirl.)

Last edited by SillyLing; December 23rd, 2005 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey

this is all coming along nicely, i really like you printing/lothography stuff! cool, simple, effective designs!

you life drawing and such are lookin cool, keep at it, one thing i could suggest is that you have a go with a less forgiving broad medium, like charcoal. i get the feeling you are maybe overworking some of these drawings.... you seem to be filling in some of you "canvas" just because you feel the need to....

other than that, things are looking great!
    you pastel stuff is cool, i can tell you have a good controll of that medium!

looking forward to the SSG thing..."the tenacious ten"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate charcoal. (period.) It gets all over the place, I got it over my hands, my shirt, my pants, my socks! OMG. EVIL.

And it smudges over my other drawings as well. =_=;

Meh. I'll post up my charcoal drawings later that I did last night. (They really suck.)

I'll stop whining about the charcoal now. I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. *disappers*

CRITCS PLEASE, PEOPLE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, nice glittery dress. I need one of those for myself. lol

You're doing a lot fo really great things! Just keep it up!! Draw as much from life as you can and do some anatomy structures. The keys to drawing convicning real life objects can be found in an understanding of understructure and knowing how to go about rendering those things. Just try to see the forms! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi SillyLing ^^, got a good sb going here. Im liking your figure studies, but feel you could make improvements quick if you really concentrate on drawing those figures.
    Have a look at anatomy and forms. Try to really remember what you are seeing and don't be afraid to draw all over your studies; such as drawing reference lines that show the position of features along it etc.
    Shadows are really important, focus on their values, shapes and position and let them guide you. Lastly- don't forget negative spaces.

Hope this has been helpful ^^. Keep posting.

If you always get up late, you'll never be on time --Broken Social Scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zebzfree: I'll sell it you for $1,545,457,862,155,654,021,545,024! HAH! Even Bill Gates can't buy it! Besides I'll need it for starting my own.... "business." (I wouldn't need to study art. I'll stay at home and play video games all day.) I'll be working on those under structures for the next few days.

Tullie: ^___^; One thing at a time. I'll be looking at anatomy..... ^_^; The problem is.... I get bored of looking at anatomy structure easily. *nods* But I'll be definely working on them during break! D: I have loads of free time! Wh0t for being a loser. I don't have any friends to distracts me from doing work. ='[ HAHA. Guess that's a good thing. O_o

I'll go and be friends with Mr. Loomis, over there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^ do things at any pace you want, your work shows potential, what I said was guidance and only that.
    The important thing is to stay focused, but to not get bored ^^. Studying anatomy can be a drag at first, but the more practice = it gets easier and more fun ^^.

Happy xmas XD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD Happy holidays backs! don't worry about me.... <_<; I'm working on my sketches...I seriously have no life other then drawing and doodling around...
    ANYWAYS. I want to see how big of improvement I can do in one week. O_o; By studying.... I have my ways of making fun.... o_O It includes hours and hours of listen musics..... (I'm going to -that- point of insanity.) I don't want to stay at the word, potential, I wanna be pro. XD

Hah. I'll already can see the weeks improvement in each drawing. Mainly with the shading....

o_O; Yesh... Mr. Loomis is my friend now. I'll get the day's sketches up by the end of the day today. o_o; As for now.... I'll shut up and stop spamming my own tread. (SPAM! YUM!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O_o Alrightly I'm back? I've been playing around with charcoals did stuff with it...Did some study with it. The whole point of using charcoal was getting used to it.

I learned quite a few things. Blending = B-A-D. Some can do it far more prettier... then others. That others includes me. I think I'll stick with cross hatching for now. >.<' She does look like she's gonna eat you, doesn't she? O______________o
    study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, i won't be much help with the charcoal or pastels...the only time i use em is for chalk painting on sidewalks. too much of a pain to use any other time.

...as for the lip problem, focus more on the division of the lips, rather that the outlines. Teeth can be handled similarly. Otherwise, you end up emphasing the GAPS in the teeth, a thing that effectively screams I AM LIPS, or I HAVE NO TEETH HERE ...rather than a nice drawing of a face, which looks like what you meant to do.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey SillyLing, i really like your eye studies!

the main reason i thought it might be good for you to experiment with charcoal was to "loosen" you up a bit..... some of you early faces and stuff seemed overworked and a little unconfident, charcoal is less forgiving and forces you to become more confident, i think what you've done is great, and you should keep going with it!

continuing with anatomy studies will also help you a crap load....but you know that ofcourse

hope this helps!!! - thanks for your comments in my sketchbook too -

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It’s cause of chalk, I got into pastels. As you see… when I was child at your age, we, kids drew on the sidewalk. Even now, when the weather warm. I still draw on the sidewalks with chalk. ^_^ (I’m still a kid at heart) I love the feeling of chalk and mixing colors with your hand. When I used pastels… it was like love at first sight… I don’t see how you hate such innocent things. They’re Innocent. Innocent, I say. They’re just colorful. You can crumble it up, paint it, blend it, and smear it. What’s the harm in that? Just don’t answer it. XD

I live, I breathe in pastels (that’s how I got my asthma)… When I die and they cut me open, I’ll be the first person to be diagnosed with “Multi- colored lungs”. It’s all good with me.

Llothcat: O_o; Just comment on the composition, color and etc. Like you do with any other drawing. -_- You’re not the one painting/ drawing. As for the lip thing… Working on it! So you’re saying is work on the shading not so much on the out line of the lip?

Knonos: Blah. Charcoal is the embodiment of evil. Now I realize that I’m over working on my drawings. Now that you mention it and looking up how other people are doing the penciling… ^_^; I think I was too focused on getting every feature of the face down on paper…. Charcoal = evil. =[

Fishing, NO, it’s called butterflying
    -Anyways- one of my friends gave me a drawing for my birthday gift. And she wanted a drawing…. I took noticed of it after she held a safety scissor to my throat. Something in my noggin said I better comply or blood will be spelt on safely scissors… “ALRIGHT! I’ll do it” Thus my journey begins to slavery called commissions. AND I’m not even paid to draw.

Today, I finally got off my butt and drew something~! Alrighty this is gonna be a super late xmas gift for my friend. She asked me “nicely” to draw a “toasterhead” (Nick for my style) fairy in a pink dress… uh… OPPS. It’s not really a fairy. I was brainstorming ideas that I could do with a fairy. I somehow I got to butterfly hunting in a different context with a fishing way. So it’s pink haired fairy in a pink swimming suit with flower with a butterfly. So it’s called butterflying. It’s was cold in the room… I was defiantly not going to do anything relating to snow. So spring time it is.

OOO! Figure drawing helped me here! They don’t stand there and smile anymore! She can sit now! Yay.

C&C even though it’s not done yet. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly welcome.

Blah… more studies. The nose, lips and some more face studies. However the face studies.. Fun stuff. /sarcasm/ I’m still weak with the lips. More lips for the next few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, I can see that you have made some progress with your face sketches. The lips look good, with the noses you may want to pay a little more attention to their forms. Bridgmans book on faces is quite good and might be helpful to you.

I only ever use a HB clicky pencil - means I avoid having to sharpen and I have good control over the medium.
    I think for studies its best to use what ever you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the faces do need a bit of work done on them, take a look at some faces drawn by Rubens, I've learnt most of what I know from the old masters drawings

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lips are definitely better now..

facial porportions are a little off now though. This is how I quick checked it:

The space between the eyes is one eye wide, and the pupil/iris, when looking straight on, should line up with the corners of the mouth.

This one's from Ripley Believe it or Not(it's how I remember it, I loved that show in the late 80's) ear and nose are the same length.

The guy in the drawing looks more "right" than the girl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhhhh, thats nice to see some more relaxed looking sketches, you seem to have got the jist of what i was trying to say, nice work

keep going

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sillyling, it looks like you are making progress; i'd suggest trying to work in a very clean manner for optimal study beneficialnessarium. I know it's charcoal, but it is possible to work cleanly, you just have to be careful. try not to outline things over and over again and keep your pencil or marking thingy very sharp. maybe even go up to an H charcoal lead. yeah, it'll be lighter, but you'll grow to enjoy the cleanness i think.
    Keep up the study and improvement!
    -joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. ^_^'
    Kronos: I see where you're getting at. xP
    Tullie: =/ Next time I go to borders, I'll check out the book. X_X; as for now. I'm using loomis as my guide.
    llothcat: Thanks. ^_^ I sorta noticed that the facial was off after I put it up. X_X!
    Steinmetz: I already checked him out. I'll see what I can learn. Although I think using him would be more effective in painting more so then drawing them. =/
    guggenmaneuver: Working on the cleaniness... Thanks for the tip. ^_^ Although... I'll have to find a h charcoal at the art store. At the moment I'm using 2b charcoal.

followed a tutorial to digital painting.

spent most of the day yesterday finishing this. =/ I didn't any real study.

I'll do some studies later. BLAH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey SillyLing, i really like you "butterflying" drawing/painting (whatever you call it) its turned out very nice, only one thing i could comment on. i see you just started a bit of gradation in your line thickness with the leg, maybe you could try implementing that a little more......could be nice, but just an idea

yeah, thats a really good beginning tutorial for digital painting (i assume your newish to digital painting)....one thing i like to do is turn on pressure sensitivity for opacity aswell as shape dynamics, brush's tabthingy > other dynamics > and change control: to penn pressure under the opacity jitter setting.

i like the blue reflections in the pear, and over all some really nice colours in that picture.....when it comes to blending i like to try and follow the flow of the form as much as i can, just makes it feel that much more natural

like always, looking good and just keep it coming

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAH! I learned something new today! =) Thxs. that helped so much. XD

WIP? O_o I donno, doodles?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol too cute for words
    Obviously, the "nest" needs work though....maybe a "hurricane"-esque effect to fill it in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm glad that helped, thats looking like an improvement.....however, don't get too carried away with low opacities, digital painting always starts to look a bit amateurish if your not careful. Try staying at as high an opacity as you can keep under control ( i don't go below 50% unless I'm really concentrating on very smooth blending )

i realize this is a WIP/sketch, but try doing what you did before, i.e. some sense of surrounding and shadows cast by the object.... also things look nice with a crisp edge, and a good thing about digital, is you can erase, no matter what

one more thing, try and work on your confidence of stroke. you seem a bit(dare i say it) uncoordinated, too many little, hesitant lines.....that will come to you with more practice with a tablet, and it does take a while to get used to.... I take it you recently got a tablet?

going great, keep experimenting its really fun and your leaning fast!

P.S. i am by no mean whatsoever a Pro, or even that experienced, heck i'm only seventeen, so take what i say with a grain off salt..... but i'm doing my best to be helpful

EDIT: OH YEAH, LEVEL UP!!!!!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1