Sketchbook: KINGCOYOTE! There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09) - Page 9

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the way you ink makes me think.

reminds me of the art-nouveau-mucha-esque treatment that insanely inspiring adam hughes employs...more chatter later, eh?

and...

WHY DIDN'T YOU LET ME GET TOP POST ON PAGE FIVE??? I thought we were cool

work on here's looking good will crit analyze later it's L8 as H3LL here now even with the durned daylight-savings-whatzit TODAY.

gugger bugger lugger fugger

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww cute. great idea with the fingerprints. hey something i'm learning as i practice more with photoshop is to make every stroke count and try not to lift the pen. so that you don't get new marks all the time. uhh do you know what i mean? btw great wip. can't wait to see it with a bunch of color.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen all of this stuff already buuuuttt... I'm really glad you're juicing your books with updates. swwweeeet. Hopefully we'll get to some real drawing this next week, eh? The slumber party was fun... we'll have do it again sometime and hopefully slow the drinking a bit, eh? We shalt see.

Did you notice my name change? Someone changed my freakin' name! lol I'm serious. I have no idea how it happened. Were you involved?? Have a great week, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Badger Hey thanks for the crits man! It's been sooo long since I've done any real painting, and digital is a little daunting with all the options open to me. I'll really try to take your advice to heart though, because it really does make a lot of sense. Thanks again!

Mr fisticuffs, sir You're TOTALLY right about the WIP. In fact, I'm having all sorts of issues with that truck. Beyond the size/weight issue that you brought up, is an issue of relative style. Basically, it just doesn't match the level of detail in the mech. I think the robot is cool, but it's kind of lacking in the detail/realism department, and totally owning the "Hey! Look at me! I'm a cartoon!" department. I plan on working on some digital paints regularly. I make progress, but the path ahead is still a long one!

SUPERMEGADOOMZORD I've been thinking about this very thing a lot lately... Basically, the fast that I'm not much of a jumper inner. I tend to think A LOT about what I'm going to do, plan it out, figure it out, and then tentatively stick my big toe in. I realize that this is an issue, and that it is something else to work on. I'm trying to be a little more experimental, but it's still "baby steps". Thanks for believing in me, man!

guggenmaneuver Sorry man... Nothing personal. You've got the last two or three, though! And you're still tops with me! Thanks for the Adam Hughes heads up. I've admired his work for a long time now, and just got around to checking out his site... There's sooo much good stuff to look at there, and sooo much to learn from.

pennington Yeah, I was really trying to keep that in mind when I was working on my SP last night.

ZebsYeah, I noticed before I even opened the thread... No, I didn't have anything to do with it, but I know you were thinking about having it changed anyway. Yeah. Weird. See you tomorrow!

Ha-ha! Here's a couple of new drawings for y'all!

First up is some sketchery... I was working out of "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way". Don't laugh, it sounds rediculous I know, but there really is a lot of good information in there... Aaaaand I really need to work on action poses, backgrounds and perspective... Seems to me that comics is a good medium to pick some of that stuff up. Also, I was looking at Adam Hughes' website... I've admired his stuff for a long time, but for some reason never had the presence of mind to be a fan. Fixing that problem now...
    KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)

A robot... Working on an idea wor a STL sketch challenge.

My SP for the Nov 1 Self Portrait challenge. It has some issues, but I was in kind of a hurry.

Then I decided to go ahead and color it in PS... I think it's not too bad, but still very coloring bookish...

Drew this cardinal catcher for work today. Thought it was a pretty okay drawing and thought I'd share it with Y'all.

Okay! That's it for now... Thanks for looking everybody, and a BIG thanks for all your comments and support!

Your friend
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo duder, I think your color SP turned out great. Agreed, there a few little issues, but on the whole, really well done. If I had rockin facial hair like yours I would do nothin but SPs. Nice stubble!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i was in tennessee, taking a train trip on sunday

...and through some abominable rift in the space-time continuum, you were the train conductor. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. i was going to say hey, but that would've been a little awkward what with your looking 10-15 years older than i remember you from montreal. A sketchjam would have been a lot more fun than looking at pretty scenery and overhearing some inane backwater tennessee "convos," as the kids are starting to sayeth nowadayz

the photographic evidence:
    (if my memory serves me correctly [oftentimes it doesn't] you were telling someone about your other job building bicycles in this shot, not 100% sure tho...)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressed by your dedication KC, this is all coming along, I like the catcher, nice gesture, can't really crit the clothes cause obviously we don't play baseball in europe.
    The robot is also very cool, very confident.
    Don't forget to add some different hues into your skin tones, really livens them up.
    Greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttt work my friend!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate,

hows it going? Havnt been here in a while, sorry. But its looking great. Your style is really coming through. Such bold lines, that are smooth and nice! Reminds me a bit of warhol, he used bold lines! An example is your self portrait, great! Wanna see more, OK!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fisticuffs Guy Thanks man! I'm workin' on a full on beard right now... Again. SPs are definately great when there's nothing else rattlin' around in my head.

guggenmaneuver Ha-ha! I have a few too many dopplegangers out ther', I think... Cloning is scary.

B-b-b-badgerThanks man! I try to keep color variation in mind... It's weird that when we have (literally) a million options available to us digitally, we (I mean I) sort of get overwhelmed and use only a small few, but when I only have a handful of options I utilize them better... Does that make sense? At any rate, thanks for the comment, and I WILL keep it in mind. I'm still trying to get a handle on this whole digital thing.

Qxzi Hey man! I'm doing fine, and you? Thanks, and I'm glad you like what I've been turning out lately. More is always coming, just sometimes it's faster than others.

Ha-ha! Okay, here's a couple'a pieces... Sorry for the "in progressness" of them. The idea was that If I scan them in when I feel like I'm gonna mess them up if I go any further, I can continue without worrying so much... so... There you go.

First up is for a STL Art Throw Down that my buddy Kevin organizes and what not. Loads of fun.

Aaaand another SP. I'm doing a little more work on it too, so there'll be another showing of it in my next post too.

Thanks for looking guys, and I'll post again soon!
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oo diggin this post really like all of the images nice design on the bots too.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    need more ominous appendages and crazy forms on those robots, imho. they look like trashcans with little legs.

good self portraits... getting more honest with the line... love seeing that!

cheers buddy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, gugg found your older doppleganger! You have to take those guys out when you find them. Like the Highlander taught us, "There can be only one..."
    Anyway, I think this is your most successful SP yet. Well done man, in the future try some at a three quarter angle and you won't have to worry as much about symetry.
    Nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

good update, like the sp again Andy made a good point about different angles with SP's. Looking good tho, keep it up!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh how i enjoy your linework....clean and elegant. dynamic figures and layout!
    now that is inspirational.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet work KC, lovely lines, maybe attach line weight to depth like dirty C does and see if that works for you.
    Keep them coming KC.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Form, form, form, form, form...

I'm pushing you into the next area of growth for you. RENDERING! SHADING! FORM! OH MY!!

Of course this means increased planar studies, life drawing, etc. But that's what I want next!! You're getting more confident in your mark making. Now it's time to step up that knowledge!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you dead?! What the crap?! How about an update?? Hope you're ok, man. Haven't seen you in a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me thinks its time for an update D:
    I haven't been in here for ages!!!
    Anyways, that latest portrait is great, Liking the accuracy of the lines you are putting down. Draw more! More more more etc...

Hope all is cool
    Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Crap it's been a long time... Sorry guys! Gee, I just haven't felt like I had anything really worth showing for awhile...

Pennington Thanks man. It really means a lot to me that you keep on giving me props.

Gugg Thanks for the love, my fiend. I think you're right about the crazy scary appendages and wotnot, but honestly, they were kind of supposed to look like trashcans. Ha-ha!

Mr fisticuffs Thanks for the heads up... I really try to take care of those pesky dopplegangers, but after awhile, it gets hard to hide the bodies... Ha-Ha! Totally dead on about the three quarters... I actually've had some photo ref on my desk to do that for last month or so to do just that! I'll get on it soon!

Badger I really try to think aabout line weight on every picture... Thanks for the comments and support. Form and line are becoming more and more of a concern for me of late, and I promise I'll work hard on them.

Fatty Thanks man! Yeah... Lineweight is a constant concern, and I really appreciate your continued ball busting on that front!

Zebs What is this form you speak of? Ha-ha! You know this is were I'm headed, and I'm glad you're here to push me and help guide me... I'd never be able to make it on my own! Ha-ha!

Zebs Ha-Ha! Geez! Okay, here I am, with some crap to show everybody... Get off my back, okay?

Alcian Hey lady! I've missed you around here! Thanks for the props, and I will draw more, just for you!

Okay kids, here's the update...

First up is some thumbs... I was looking at Prometheus/ANJ's Website, and he had some really cool redesigns of classic MegaMan characters, so I thought I'd give a similar project a go. I gave the idear some thought, and decided to work on the original Final Fantasy... It may seem like a lame idea, but when I was in sixth or seventh grade, that I thought that game was the coolest, and It's always held a special place in my heart... So anyway, I started with the white mage, and here is a couple of pages of sillouhette thumbnails.

This is a quick first run sketch. I was going for a more "warrior priest" angle, as opposed to the "White Mage" one... it has some issues, mainly in the head, and the length of the torso, so...

I got out the light table, and reworked some things... I'm still not really happy with the head, and the position of the right arm is giving me some issues. I also actually want to change the style to a little more cartoony style too... Not really sure about that, I guess I'm still questing back and forth for my own "style". Cartoons and childrens illustration are in my blood, but I want to be able to do something a little more realistic too. Does that make sense?

Here's an Elvis impersonating vampire hunter that I was working on for a chow... It's a pretty weak character design, really, with not a whole lot of character to it... Realizing that, and thinking about where I went wrong are good learning tools though... Right?

Some more work on that SP... dealing with planes, value and form... Working in colored pencil. I don't know, it was fun when I was working on it.

God, this is a crappy scan! More work on form... 5 X 7 still lifes are something I'm trying to make time for lately. Two a week, that's my goal.

And finnally, some crap from work...
    KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)

KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)

Thanks for lookin guys, and I'll post again soon, I promise!

Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improved quite abit through your sketches. Keep up those studies. Would like to see more life studies here tho.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeff
    good looking update my friend... the way your inks have improved just really impresses the hell out of me... have been conciously trying to emulate that style of yours of dark outline with fine interior descriptive lines too. helps put things in space... even doing that in a subtle way with vector software has been a lot of fun.

about the self portrait, the most developed thing i'm seeing here (besides those succulent little ink drawings that you know i ) ... you posted the original sketch for back in mid november??? it's good, but... seems a little on the stylized and forced side. I know you rock those pens fast man... lets see some more of those but try loosening up a bit. How far can you get with a ball point pen, your 3 Hole punched hoity toity printmaking paper, a mirror and 15 minutes??? I think you'd surprise yourself. the same kind of looseness you utilize when you're doing the quick silouettes, try roughing out your form that way, then going in for the kill and correcting any inaccuracies that develop. I know your moustache has been growing, and that is a specimen that surely deserves to be documented . thanks for dropping by the sb too, friend ... keep up the great work. post more often

POINTLESS METAPHOR TIME: Keep on conducting that ink train, i'll keep tying abductees to the train tracks ahead of you. (? huh ?)

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great progress on the sb. I really like the style you used on the last sp, very comicy and cool. I suggest you study anatomy a bit more on those recent character drawings, the loomis books are great for that, you might also want to look into Hogarth. Hogarth is really good for understanding mass. Keep it up dude your style is getting really cool.

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MMMM Sheep!

Jeff,
    Long time no see. Hope your life is good and filled with many more sheep pictures. I am really liking your ink work. From everything you have your Ink and colors are really strong for you. Your sheep and other animals would make a lonely farm hand moan in delight. As for your self portraits I see a lot of progress. I would like to see a looser sketch version to see the progression. Also you need to loosen up that pimp hand of yours when it comes to people. Your people seem too tight. I have the same problem. I don't trust how my sketches look. The drawing on the Robot with the two machanics is nice, but I think it would be a stronger piece if it was all worked together and not separately. I know when you were working on it that you did that in pieces. I really think it would work better if you worked it out as a whole image and not in pieces.
    I am liking what I see man. Good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said Johnny Doom was my hero but I half lied. You're really my hero. Great progress, Doom Brother. Nice to see an update. I've already commented on most of this but seriously, you're work is really moving along. Y'kno I want more life work from you. Lets see if you can muster it up! Take care, man. I'll be seein' you soon, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW! i love the work on form and value. i can tell that the pear is quality work even with the bad scan
    your line work and illustrations are continually getting better and better. i'm really impressed
    elvis rocks i like him a lot.
    dude the second row of those green dudes are awesome! really cool, they have good perspective and form, very dynamic too. but many of the rest of them seem to be made from sausage links instead of interconnected muscles and bones or they are just flat. but do a bunch more, i like
    laters and thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by pennington; February 1st, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apologies for not replying sooner good sir, keeping replies back regularly is something I need to work on. But this last update is nice. Pear study = ace. Keep working on those silhouettes too, maybe even try making them smaller than they are. Afterall, they ARE only silhouettes. Hope things are well, friend. Now how's about another update?

Best,

J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Making moves here KC, it's cool to see you tackling a lot of different styles.
    The SP is cool, i like how you are working on planes, they are the key to rendering.
    The pear is very nice.
    I'm interested to see how you will bring this all together.
    On the priest sketches, i'd suggest checking your pose against some ref quick, there are tonnes of photos around, adapt to the build you want.
    Keep drawing KC!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to do this about two weeks ago, but then my "internet provider" went on vacation. So sorry about the delay, but I swear I haven't been slacking!

First off... Replies!

Envisor Thanks for the props man! You're totally right, there really does need to be more life studies in here. I promise that I'll work towards that!

GuggenDoomBrotherManeuver Thanks, Joel! I did a SP the very next day, keeping what you said in mind. It was a lot of fun, and I think it was really worthwhile. Thanks for keepin' me real my CMYKilla'!

Wake101 You're absolutely right... It's a constant struggle, and something that I do continue to work on.

Koistar What you do, is you put rubber boots on them, so they can't run away... The building drawings in pieces was a nice experiment, but I think you're right.... It didn't really work out. Something to remember. Good for design, bad for illustration.

Zebs Thanks RY! I know I'm frustrating sometimes, but I'm really glad you keep on coming over and hangin' out. Whether we get some drawing done, or just get drunk, it's always a good time.

Pennington Thanks P! That really means a lot to me! Yeah, they do look king of sausagey... Mostly, that's because I'm in a hurry to work out some Ideas, and I'm lazy on top of it. Thanks for consistently pointing stuffs out, it really helps me grow... Even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.

Zord Thanks JohnnyDoom! I always appreciate the support!

BadgerThanks for the words Badger! The planes and rendering... I'm struggling with them. When I think I might be on the right track, it turns out to be a switchback, and I have to go back. I'll get it eventually, though. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

Okay, now... These aren't in any particular order, but...

First off is a SP I did a couple of weeks ago when Ryan got snowed in. Loads of fun hanging out and drawing... There are some issues with this drawing (Mainly some proportional ones, but the eyes are way off too. They come off very flat.) Ryan says I neet to do a lot of eye studies...

Another self portrait I colored in Corel Draw for a web graphic...

...Aaaand, here it is! Hopefully, I'll get around to getting all the other pieces together. You all can feel free to give me crap for not having done any time you want.

Did a little work on my logo...

A vector T-Shirt design I did for a contest at work. I thought it was a pretty funny idea.

A little Cavegirl sketch I threw together as a demo for my friend.

Gugg, I did this one for you! Fifteen minutes of loose sketching with the ballpoint, then tighnening up with the solid ink pens, then returning to do some more rendering with the ball point. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Finally, another still-life that I half rendered before I had to clear the table off. I'll do more of these, I promise! Rendering is really something I need to tackle and get better at... It's hard getting the looks of dissapointment from Zebs when I show him more linework.

Well, that's it for now... I'll get some more work up soon!
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot UPDATE!
    ooh, sorry about the prolonged internet outtage... to be honest, i wouldn't be able to deal. ask anyone. they'll tell you. oh yeah... there was a storm there. i heard you and ryan got snowed in and like, were killing polar bears with your bare hands, Melting down the fat, and charring their bones for good, real charcoal. hells yeah.

heheh, thanks!
    Crazy how some people get this full range of values with pens! Cool, cool... reminds me of a durer etching or something... nice! thanks for the dedication too...

here's the crit... might not be easy to read, but i must get it out of my system...

Ryan is right: DO EYE (and facial anatomy) STUDIES!
    Crit: Sorry, but some things about this one are really, really bothering me. as a self portrait, the likeness isn't there i'd argue (cartoonishness aside), and some of the wonkiness of the facial symmetry is quite dizzying. I experienced a problem kind of like this with a portrait i was doing a few days ago: tiny size variations in facial features, their placement, and relationship to each other on the face are SO IMMENSELY important! if an eye is 10% too big, the face will seem maybe not anatomically impossible, but, uncomfortable or ugly for the viewer to look at. Be REALLY careful when setting up faces. Do the glasses very, very last, and give them a more technical kind of finish. You've GOT to do something about the faces that you're producing... maybe anatomy studies or some book about the six basic expressions? I think your work would be INSTANTLY stronger if you conquered some of the problems with faces that you're having. not trying to be harsh, but it's something i've been noticing with your updates for a little while. Knowing you as an artist, I know that you see the problem. You can do better. I've seen some massive improvements in here, while the face building skills have more or less stayed the same. With as far as you've come (Lightyears, no? ) I would contend that this small area that you desperately need to focus on is kind of holding you back. No excuses!

workin' on' a' buildin'
    j'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a monster truck rampage with URINATOR in the lead. dude Jeff, such great heights, good looking professional quality stuff. and the values are tremendous.
    hey about the head stuff/anatomy, it's really just more recently that your sp's proportions have been off, but the eyes consistently i've noticed that you are (maybe) oversimplifying them. when you do a study of your eyes try and think of them in terms of planes having perspective. uh hogarth really shows this in his dynamic anatomy. uhm here's a link to Kevin Chen's head demos it seems that you are thinking of the head in space much better than before. these show good perspective, but it seems that you are detailing too early. dang i didn't mean to write that much. i just wanted to give you that link and say keep showing us what you're made of

my sketchbook

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.