Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: KINGCOYOTE! There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)

Thanks
    Hey kids... been doing some serious drawing the last couple of days. Felt like I may as well go ahead and do an update.

I did the top half of this page at the hockey game last night... There was something wrong with the first WIP, so I was trying to work that out. I also wanted to figure out what I wanted to do with his eyes, sooo... I drew a bunch of eyes! The bottom half, I drew at the bar... Nothing good can come from drawing drunk. I really loose focus...
    KINGCOYOTE!  There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09)

The top half of this page was at the bar too... Not too bad I guess, but it got worse as I worked more on it! The rest was while I was warming up this morning...

Crap from dinner... nothing too interesting.

And finally... my new WIP... God I have a looong way to go! I have a crap load of work to do in the next couple of days. Wish me luck kids!

Take care guys!
    Your friend,
    KC
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Man you have been busy, good random pages!
    The TD piece should be fun, you've got some fun reference to work from, just some thoughts,
    The arms feel pretty short on this new WIP, and right hand (his left) looks more like it is angled towards the viewer than behind his head (did that make sense?). I'd say either try it again or stick closer to your reference and make the hammer handle huge. I like the new belts and all, the posture is closer too. I like the face from the first one better though, but he did look a bit sad, pensively sad. Like he had some shit to work through. Anyway, this'll be fun once you've locked in your drawing, looking forward to it.

Thanks
    Anyone with a 'stash as sexy as yours is alright in my book!

Youve improved a lot from the start, anatomy, structure and designs have all improved tons! Wanna see colour work more often though!

The last pic look good, watch the wrist on the hand holding the hammer though, doesnt match the angle from which the handle is coming, seems a bit uncomfortable! Maybe take another ref shot with a thinner object so you can compare!

Wish I had a drawing table dude! And at twelve! At twelve I didnt even have my own chair! Had to sit on my uncle's lap all the time.

PS: take care of zebz for me, dont want him getting into any trouble before montreal! We all know how impressionable he is!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    you've been putting out some crazy stuff recently!
    i like the blind drawings and your form is really taking shape.
    not much to crit except try not to go over your lines so much. think about them a little more try and plan them out in your head and do a couple practice strokes before putting the reall one down.
    you're td piece is looking great and i really like your sausage hand. give's it personality. so one thing i noticed about the td is the head looks a little flat. easy to fix though just the line running down his forehead should be moved over a bit and the back of his head a little out/back. your head studies look great when are we gonna get to see the torso ones?

yeah you were right about the slow week and BAM, thanks for the encouragement! it's a lesson i will have to continue learning.

good luck! and have fun at the fig workshop.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Nice studies. keep sketching till your hand hurts.

Thanks
    Andy PYeah... Kinda' stepped it up a notch lately! Felt like it was important! Thanks for the crits... I think I fixed them. Thanks for your continued support man!
    SirGreenSockHA-ha! Thanks for stoppin' in man! Yeah, the ladies like it... The hand is effed up... I knew it and thanks for calling me out on it! I'll keep in mind the need for more color work, I just feel like getting the B&W stuff down is awefully important, and I'm trying not to spread myself out too much. That sounded an awful lot like an excuse... Dang! Okay, I'll get some color stuff up in here, just for you! I'll try to keep an eye on him, but he's really nimble for a large man... hard to keep up with, you know?
    PenningtonThanks for stoppin in! I looked at the head, and you were right on... I think I fixed it. I tried to think more on my lines while I worked today... Oh, torso studies started yesterday... Pretty crummy so far, but... well check it out for yourself.
    Orozc0Thanks! I'm workin' and workin' on it!

Torso studies... this is gonna' take a lot of time... I just don't understandthe torso, and how it works! Sooo... there's gonna' be a lot of torso studies.

Crazy warm up drawings! It's fun, and I actually think some good stuff came out of it too!

Ha-ha! Here's my Thunderdome WIP... It's coming along, I guess. Thanks for all the advice guys, I tried to heed it all, and it really helped!

Okay, I've got a TON of stuff to do! Sooo... I'll talk at you later!
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    hey man! i love the king concoction. that's great nice bubbles too. the torsos are pretty good too. i just think you didn't give yourself enough time. they seem a little rushed. the basic shapes are what's most imprtant on these so make sure they are correct from the start. so just slow down and make sure you get the overall shapes down first. the first one is lost the wedge shape a bit. it should be thicker at the top more muscular. unless you were trying to make it look like that. and if you look at page 124 if you have the dynamic anatomy book the first pic in the measurements shows the relation of the angle of the collarbone to the chest and stomach. that's an easy one to fix too. ok now that i've torn you apart, sorry. you're really improving. you line quality just keeps getting better and more confident and i love you imagination! cheers. oh and thanks for stopping by.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    PenningtonThanks! That page was a lot of fun! Thanks for the heads up on the page number... I've kind of been working through the book like a workbook so far, and it's really worked out. This chapter's been really frustrating though. Like I said, it's mostly 'cause it's all out of context... I think reading ahead this time will really help me out. I might also follow Edites lead and do some drawings of myself to help work things out more... and I'm going to figure drawing in the city tomorrow, so that's another step in the right direction! I'm just really frustrated with it right now, but before long I'll be gaining momentum again. I hope you all won't let me get away with slacking! (You haven't so far!) Thanks for the crits! "ok now that i've torn you apart, sorry." You crack me up man! I do that to you like every day, and you're nothing but understanding and supportive back! I'd like to think I can take critisism in the same spirit! Thanks for hangin' in there with me!

Okay, here's the finished Thunderdome piece! The deadline is up, and entries have been posted, so I figgured it'd be okay to post the final here as well! Well... It wasn't the best of the bunch, but I think I held my own, and got a decent picture out in the process. Thanks for all the help and support on it guys! I really appreciate it.

While I'm pretty happy with how this came out, I also think it underscores the fact that (while I've come a long way) I still have a lot to learn. What do you guys think?

Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    woowy yeah man that's awesome. it's definately one of the best ones of the group! it has a lot of great elements the watch stands out to me, i think b/c of the shading under it makes it pop out. and the ammo bags/pockets on his suspenders really pop out in three dimensions too. his face is still a little flat which is sad cuz you totally nailed it on the before drunk pic. and the hammer handle is not in the same perspective as the head the stenocledo mastoids muscles are a bit too pronounced and his right arm looks broken. here's somethin to help show you what i mean maybe.

yeah i appologized cuz i don't like sounding mean and when i read back over it it all seemed negative whereas your posts in mine and stuff are really encouraging and not negative at all. ok yeah later.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    This page is really looking nice, you are right that you are getting some good stuff out of that. Something that i've just started to do as a warm up is to refer to some great drawing of say, an old master or whoever and try copying maybe just a small area, for say, 10-15 minutes or so... it really gets you out of your own sphere of mark making and forces you to reconsider where you are going with your lines and marks. am i understanding this correctly in that it's drawn in the middle of your sketchbook, and you cross over the, as i like to call it, "death valley 69?" sorry man, you're going to discover that it's all sonic youth references with me. the anatomy studies are looking good, but i'd challenge you to do more of your serious work with ink... anatomy studies, you know... sketch with the ink, roll with the ink, be the ink. It will help your pencil technique tremendously and get you in a mode of trying to conserve your marks. It seems like on some of these pages, this one and this one in particular, you should move on to a different page before filling up one to the point where it's totally jam packed full and you start to lose readability. move to a blank page and then start working there ... things start getting kind of confusing, and this will also increase the rate at which you go throuugh your books ( something that you should be keeping track of ). paper is cheap. Keep up the fantastic progress friend!

DOOOOOM!
    joel

Thanks
    penningtonThanks man! It's frustrating entering the group things around here, because they often seem like popularity contests more than anything else... maybe I'm wrong, but it's heck being a fairly new guy! Thanks for the draw over! It does help "illustrate" (Har-har) what your talking about. That hammer was a constant source of irritation, and I finally just went with it... That was a bad attitude to take, but there it is. Seriously, I'll try to give it (I mean similar problems) more consideration and work in the future. Basically I was being lazy, and was in a hurry on this one. What can I say? Does it sound like I'm making excuses? I don't mean it that way. Thanksfor the crits P!

guggenmaneuverThat's a good suggestion about the warm ups. You mentioned it in penningtons SB too, and I was already planning on giving it a go. Actually, I did that drawing on mat board, and its just a poorly cobbled together, two-part scan! Ha-ha! Got the SY refrence, but unfortunately have none of my own right now. I guess if you're going to ref somebody all the time, you could do worse! Ha-ha! I actually am (as you may notice) doing more ink drawings... I'm kind of going back and forth between things right now, but there are people I really admire that do such fantastic ink work... It's all part of constently striving, you know? I'll try to keep in mind switching to a new sheet of paper sooner... I just hate to waste it! You are right though. Paper's cheap, and I shouldn't worry so much about it. Thanks for the feedback!

Here's todays pics! There's a lot of writing on these pages... This is actually a good example of how my brain works when I'm trying to work out ideas. I switch between verbal and visual a lot, and try to work things through. It seems to help me get a clear idea of where I'm going... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Torso studies are a pain in my backside! Really... they're very frustrating, and I hope to get through them soon. Everything on this page was out of my head... This old lady at work was talking to me at lunch, and I didn't want to be rude and plug into my headphones and work out of the book... Sometimes it's hard to get anything done.

Here's some stuff out of "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way!"... I'm not really sure how much help it will be, but it's nice to get a clear, simple approach now and then... I was also working out some ideas for this weeks Chow. I think I have a pretty solid idea for the character... I just have to get it down. It's been pretty frustrating how inconsistant that event has been lately...

Some goofing off I did the other night (I think my SPs are getting... if not better, then more interesting) and then the first two drawings from "Fantasy Figure Night" at the St Louis Art Guild last night. The theme was film Noir. I got there late, and did these as a warm up.

This is actually the last pose from last night... I also had this idea to write testimonials about myself for my bio section. Only two of them are real...

More fantasy figure... I kind of zoom in and out when I'm drawing from the figure. I kind of work on what interests me sometimes... I also had a really bad position in the room (being the last to show up and all...) which only afforded a profile view of the model. Usually that was okay, but it got kind of boring sometimes...

That laying down pose was a pain in the ass! All the poses were about twenty minutes. I tried to do a bunch of shorter drawings to get used to how things looked here... I guess it worked out okay. I need more practice. I also noticed that I can make a lot of lines, and not really get anywhere with the picture... something else to work on! It's the struggle that's important though... Without it, we just grow stagnate.

That's it for today folks! I'll post again soon. Thanks for all you're continued support! If you're just a lookey loo, feel free to leave a comment! I can use all the help I can get, and I really appreciate it! Take care and be good!

Your friend,
    KC
    Last edited by kingcoyote; April 23rd, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Haha you're quoting me, what an honour!

Poses look good, getting good proportion. Keep your mind on trying to use less lines though, try to get the right shape/curve down right in as few strokes as possible. It helps sometimes to use a few straight lines to get the overall contour down first then do the curve on top to smooth it out.
    Taking notes in your sb is a good idea, seems like everyone who I've seen doing it has profited a lot from it. I could never do it, most of my notes are mental notes, most of which I unfortunately forget when i need em. Think I should try writing more of this down, too.
    Drawing the Marvel way has some good stuff in there, just make sure not to get caught up in the style too much.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    DAMN MO FO you got some tight shit!!!! Actually, I really love your Color work. When you work in color your images really pop. It is a thing of beauty. I really dig your arm and hand holding the gun. Good stuff there.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast