Sketchbook: KINGCOYOTE! There Is No Holy Grail. (01-04-09) - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! i don't want to give any crits but encouragement, these are all a big step forward for you KC, woooo.
    -B-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I gots another update for you... Sorry it's so sporadic. I got no good excuses for you though. Thanks for your contined support, though!

GuggenDoomFatherManeuver Thanks for the ball bustin'. You're right, things like that are sometimes hard to read... hard to digest, etc. Thank you sooo much for being the kind of friend that's willing to point it out, though. I really appreciate it. I hope you see some improvement here... I am working on it. Honestly!

F-f-f-fattyThanks for the comments, critique, and support, man! I can't tell you how much it means to me to get some specific critique... I've been thinking about what you said a lot while I work... Unfortunately, it's usually not until after I'm done that I'm able to truely reflect, and consider these comments in relation to what I'm doing. I hope (Like I told Joel) that you'll see some improvement in this post, but please be patient with me if you don't...

Pennington Thanks for the kind words Scott. Looking back on some of my older work, I've noticed that my faces have tended to "slide" off the head. That's something that my boss gets onto me for regularly, and I think I'm getting better about. Thanks for the link. I've looked at it a couple of times, but haven't really had the time to do anything with it yet... Hopefully this month, after I move, things'll settle down a bit.

BadgerThanks sooo much! I appreciate the props just as much as the crits.

Okay... Here's the new work. I have some stuff from work too, but I'm not really sure how much you guys really want to see that junk... So it's not in this update.

I had this past Sunday off for easter, so I took the day to do some drawing for myself. It was a very good, very relaxing day. I started off with this SP for Gugg... I was happy with it at first, but the more I look at it, the more it annoys me. Basically, the things I did right with it just don't hold up to the things I did wrong. The main thing there is the fact that I squashed my face, (actually, not so much squashed, as shortened) so that I look like a little kid with a fake beard.

I also went in and did some digital coloring on it. Having a sense of form already defined, really helps getting an acceptable color job on it, but the issues are still there... Bleh. Also, I don't think I got enough contrast in it.

For those of you that didn't already see it, I also did the DSG "The Dark, Evil, Terrifying, Tentacled, Anti-Easter Bunny". I worked on it for about Two hours with pen & Ink, Then Corel Draw, then a little PS for the ground texture. I was actually really happy with how he came out... The little rabbit has a couple of issues, but I was in a hurry, and didn't really feel that he was important enough to mess around for a half-hour fixing.

I did some eye studies. Some of them work, and some of them... Well... don't. I'll do more, and get better. There's also some Thumbnails for a Chow "The Black Queen" I didn't get around to going any further with them, though.

Another head study. This one's from a Sixties model that PoshSpice Posted for Last Weeks ChOW. It didn't really work out... I don't really know why I bothered scanning it now that I'm actually looking at it. Ha-ha!

This one started off as a photo of Katee Sackhoff, Starbuck from the new Battlestar Galactica. Okay, it doesn't really look anything like her... On the one hand, that's very frustrating. I sometimes feel like I'm stumbling blind in the dark. This excersise was about learning about form, and rendering it too, so it's not a total loss... I think one of the things I'm doing lately, is shortening faces.

Ryan, Kevin and I did a mini Sketch-crawl the other night. We started off at Chevies, then went to Steak & Shake for a while. Here's my environment, and still-life drawings from the evening.

I drew this little black mage, inspired by the original "Final Fantasy". Again, Pen & Ink and colored in Corel Draw.

I used him in this little graphic for my website... It's coming along, a little bit at a time. Hopefully, I'll have it up and running soon! Ha-ha!

Thanks again for looking, everybody! I'm moving into a house in two weeks, so things are gonna get a little bit hecktic for a little while. Take care and be good!

Your fiend
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see the update bidness. You're really getting a solid handle on the flat color-ish corel Draw stuff. Like I said elsewhere the EasterCreature looks damn good and the FF inspired dude rocks too. It's cool to see that your doing that kinda stuff all the time is having a nice impact.
    You're right that the new SP has some issues, mainly little nudges like the eye on the left being a little too low and the cheek on the right seeming flatter than the left. I'd say the best way to get over that kinda stuff is to do bunches and bunches of quick ones. With a quick contour jam your eye will have less time to acclimate to the imperfections. You can spot what's wrong with a 30 second sketch more easily than something you've starred at for an hour. I know you're working on building up the form chops, but having a solid structure to build that form on top of will make all the difference. And besides, you've already got some nice form stuff going on, there's some good subtle shading going on in places like the nose.
    Anyway, good work and keep on rocking. Good luck with the move too!
    Oh and thanks for the heads up on that profile on Sterling. That guy, man. He frickin slays me. His new stuff like this and this make me wanna bang my head on the wall til I pass out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KC: see, astep in the right direction already! Please don't beat yourself up about this, it's gonna take a little time. portraits and likeness getting will come to you with practice! the masses of your head are being defined well by the quality level you've devoted to the marks. they're very consistent... and the digital presentation here is nice and clean! the time you take to make sure it's a decent looking jpg is very much appreciated!

go go graphics pro!

sketch! full range of values, hell yeah! good chiarascuro! i think you did an excellent job... seriously don't get discouraged! the beard does not look fake at all! rendering of the planes of your face and all is actually quite believable. There are a few issues that i'm seeing that cause tiny problems, but overall it's a solid piece.

paintover—> good job on the colors!!! Like where that's going... i'd recommend checking out (catl's own) grendel grack's procedurals on turning a graphite rendering into a finished painting.... here's the link to the gracktastic wonderland. How she's getting so much better so fast at digital painting (got a tablet for christmas) i can't wrap my mind around

will discuss crits and other stuff over the phone. TAG! From the direction of your studies i think you're moving in the right direction! hopefully i'll catch you before you're haulin ass down the STL freeway with a big truck o stuff.

cheers bro, thanks for the updates and for keepin zebz in line too.

gug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot diggity, more KC
    awesome
    good stuff post more... oh, well hope the move goes smooth.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman, Bridgman, Bridgman! Planes, planes, planes! And where are our sketches from Denny's? C'mon, man... don't dis our time together.

The SP looks nice, bro. You just need to continue to take your time and really work out those kinks. It's nice to see you attempting a full range of value too. Every time you do one of these they seem to get better. So keep doin' 'em! I was talkin' to our good friend Bill at the Artist's Guild last night (Illustration meeting, decided to go last minute) and he was saying that it's all about observing and seeing the shapes. More time observing and planning in your head and less time drawing. And be confident with the lines you put down rather then searching for them. Really think about the line rather then just putting down a bunch of lines and then just puttin' lines down like your graspin' for something.

And yea, the Easter thing really freaks me out. lol So I don't know if I'll be able to meet up this week. I may be going out with Chris on Friday so we'll see. And I'm pretty booked up this weekend unfortunately. And yea, we were wrong, Fantasy Figure is next week. Bummer. Hit me up if you wanna chat. I'm young, blonde and flirtatious!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my book today, Jeff. You're the only one who commented! lol Oh well. I'm getting ready to dive back into it just now but I wanted to stop in and tell you that it was great seeing the new work this past Thursday, man. You're really making some leaps and bounds in terms of progress, I mean it. Push hard and get that website live! Your polish on your graphic images is crazy wonderful. The clean craftsmanship you work into those little icons and corel pieces are just awesome. We don't always get the exact results we want when we put the pencil to the paper but it's the push and pull to whip it into shape that really shows the merits of where we are. At least for now, heh. Keep up the great work and thanks again for the comments, brother in doom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you say DEAD THREAD? C'mon KC! You've got the internetz now so update with some goodies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    April?! Holy Fuck!

I'll get some stuffs scanned, and update soon... maybe tonite.

See Y'all Soon!
    Your fiend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys!

Dang, it's been a long time. Here's some of what I've been up to. Some of this is out of my sketchbook, and some is digital doodles. There's also some of my work for my web page. It looks like I'll have the website up and running very soon. There's a couple of guys at work that harass me about it, and even Zebs brings it up every now and again.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys (As well as the kick in the pants to get some new work up.) I'll talk to you all again soon!

Your fiend KC

Attached Images Attached Images                            

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy mustachio KC. yeah it was good to hear from you earlier. and yeah it's been too long!!! the lines are clean and confident. I especially like the halloween beasties. very fleshed out.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pennington Thanks man! Those invitations were a pain in the butt, but I think they came out good.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to drop in to say that my website is now up and running, and maybe y'all would like to take a look.

I'll drop another real update soon. I promise.
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking this stuff KC, i love your wealth of ideas, it's your definite strength, i stare at your lil SB doodles for age. Hope you are well!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I really such an idiot that I posted that my website is up, and didn't give you the adress? Geesh!

http://www.redherringillustration.com

Badger Hey, man... long time no read. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really trying to get back into the swing of things here. Sometimes I really feel like I've run dry, and it's really good to hear that you think otherwise.

Okay. I'm trying to do some daily stuff. I talked to Zord the other day on IM, and he's of the opinion that I'm kind of all over the place in my last post. I can see that in a way... my only real defense, is that's most of my personal stuff from the last six months. That sounds awful, doesn't it? Sooo... in response, I'm taking some actions. First, I'm trying to be more active on the forums again. In a way, that sounds silly, but you guys are important to me, and my growth. And I enjoy hanging out with you. That also means that I may get some more personal work done, and build some portfolio pieces that aren't lapel pins.

Second, over the next hundred days (actually 90 now) I'll be doing 100 self portraits. Zebs feels like my time would be better spent doing 100 figures/poses, or something like that. Again, I see his point, but I'm trying to take some baby steps, and I have some issues to work out. Likeness, and form still give me grief, and if I'm doing the same subject, then that will lessen the amount of variables that I need to deal with. Also, there will be more than just straight head shot portraits, so I will have some wiggle room to try some other things as well. This is also an exercise in self discipline. Can I make myself sit down and do it every day? If I fall behind, can I catch up? It's going to be an interesting fifteen weeks. After I'm done with this, I think I'll do 100 of something else, and so on.

There is something that we say sometimes too often. we always mean it, but it's hard to stick to it. It's time to stop fucking around.

Here's the first six SPs, some doodles and a WIP. Overall, I'm not sure whether I'm happy with my start on this project. Stuff seems not very professional/finished. That's something else that I'm keeping in mind, and working on. Thanks for all your support guys. I'll update again soon.

Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

I have a couple of other things too, but I haven't scanned them in yet. I'll get to that soon. This is the SP for tonite... I'm not totally dissapointed in it, but I'm not really happy with it either. Basically, I'm stuck and frustrated. I can see the direction i should be going in, but not how to get there.

I hope everything's okay with you all, and thanks for reading.

Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello my lovely Jeffinator,

I should have stopped by sooner but I'm a doooooossssh. Sorry, brother. I haven't seen any of these latest portraits that you've been stabbing on. But I think it's great to see you sticking to your guns and trying to output something. Whatever helps to keep you motivated, I guess. You're the only person that can really make those calls, I think.

That said, I think these are looking good. Especially the latest digital ones. Your problems are really coming from a lack of experience with the digital medium in that one, I think. Try working in black and white digitally first. You're slapping down values really carelessly and not knowing but to render out of them. That's why you're stuck. IT's ok to thrown down some darks but you have to know why you're doing it and what you're going to do next with it. Keep it simple. Remember in art class all that talk about value and stuff? Maybe focus on having just three tones and only allow yourself to use those tones. Don't focus on layering so much. Just block in. The blending and stuff should come later after you've blocked in the forms. The photo ref or mirror is right in front of you so all you have to do is look at it and try to keep your proportions in mind. I think once you get a handle on modeling the form some of your other problems will start straightening out as well. Like your lines that seem clean but still aren't quite right, y'kno? Just don't let yourself get overwhelmed. If it helps then just simplify it. Then move forward from there. Art isn't magic. It's calculated. The magic comes later... I think. lol

I do love the new stuff. Hopefully we'll get to talk about it more this week sometime. And stop posting hate posts in my sketchbook thread. lol You know I work hard!!

EDIT: And the vector line one is great. You're already blocking out in line there. Just do it with tones.

Zebz

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Just dropping by fellow LMS3 round participants to say good luck (and do a sneaky bit of scouting while I'm at it!). Admire your gusto with keeping up with these self portraits, and you've some very nice pencil work in here too. I really like the linework in the last post on Nov. 13th, that could be an interesting style to follow up, and it seems to be the one that is best proportionally. Some good advice from Zebz above me too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I'm pretty much in here for the same reason as zephyri, scoping out the competition. I like a lot of the cross hatching pencil work you have in here. Zebz seems to have crit what I would say, work on proportion and measuring. It'll be cool to see what you come up with for the LMS!

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so getting destroyed in the LMS! Woo Hoo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeff!

glad yr updating again!
    careful when drawing those glasses... be more mechanical, maybe even use a ruler to make sure they're in perspective with the eyesockets of the skull. good luck on the 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 project... go jeff go!

guggggen
    edit: that's two of my ca friends who have King in their name... King Unicorn. weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    My first time in here. Scrolling trough the pages of you SB is nice you got a good eye for logos and design and you work so hard on yor portraits witch is awsome.
    Next timw I will have more usable crit im short on time at the moment.
    Cheers!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn near double posting here

thanks again for yr contribution to this Fall's edition of Rice on the Other, jeff! i will be sending out your copy of rice very soon! Deadline for Winter rice is Saturday, 19 January 2007.

chee,
    rs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Latest SP is looking great! Maybe some darker darks? Maybe a little color variation in the face?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    supp mang, hey i saw yur LMS entry suweet!! I really think you did an amazing job on it. and this roto comic is awesome! thats so funny. keep truckin

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ummm.... It looks like my sketchbook is in danger of dying...

I'm going to go ahead and do responses... even though most of them are rediculously old. Sorry I've been such a slacker, and Thanks so much for looking and taking the time to say hi!

Okay! From... November!? Holy crap...
    Zebs Art isn't magic. It's calculated. The magic comes later... I think. lol That's a great line! Ha-ha. Yeah we all keep looking for the holy grail. Thanks for your support and encouragement Ryan. I really do hope that you can see that I try to take your advice to heart and work on the things we talk about. There's just so many messes, and not enough Clorox wipes! Ha-ha!

zephyri Thanks for stopping in. It was a lot of fun competing against you. You did a fantastic job on your LMS entry, and I look forward to seeing you around.

Blue Severin Hey! Thanks for the comments. It was a lot of fun competing with you. Maybe we can do it again sometime.

Zebz

That fat kid Thanks Fatty! There's a lot of days when I'm working and I think about what you said about avoiding formulas. It's tough to balance that when you're doing production wor for 8 hours a day. One thing about formulas, is they allow you to move the work FAST. That said... I really am trying to avoid that in a lot of my personal work, because you're right... it helps me grow and get better. I hope I won't dissapoint you.

guggemmaneuverThanks for the encouragement Joel. I've fallen off the wagon for a while here. There's a lot of news here, and I'll tell it when I'm done with comments. Hopefully it'll allow me to get back on the horse for real... It's tough being responsible in a lot of different directions.

B-Man Thanks! for stopping in! I'll get back at you soon...

Now for December... Whew! After a while it turns into a bit of an ordeal catching up! Ha-ha!

guggemmaneuver Thanks so much for letting me be a part of ROTO! It's a lot of fun, and gives me a chance to do some stuff I don't normally do. Also thanks for keeping this SB alive during that drought... At least SOMEBODY was posting my work here!

Flaskpost Thanks! I'll definately keep that in mind.

That fat kid Thanks for the props Fatty! I'm really trying to do a lot of quality work for you all! I'm glad you liked it.

pennington Thanks! Penn! for this post, I got together all my progress stuff for the LMS. I really enjoyed working on it, and was able to try out some new stuff on it. I was especially pleased that I actually finished it this time! Ha-ha! Maybe there's hope for me yet!

It's been a long time Guys... Too long.
    So I have a lot of new stuff, and I'm going to trickle it out to avoid a Browser melting update of doom. I also have news! Today is my first day of freedom from Wal-Mart! Yay! It was becoming too much of a strain on my personal life, working 7 days a week, and I was so tired all the time that it was hard to do a good job at either of my jobs. Plus, maybe now I'll have more time for you all!

Also, my daughter is due in the next week... uhhh... okay, maybe I won't have as much time as I thought. Ha-ha! Still, very excited!

Now for the update!

First up is my initial comp sketch for LMS. It was really quick in pen, because I was just figuring out where everything would be. I used a ref photo I took of my dining room table, and stumbled across a really nice worms eye pose while I was watching FF Advent Children that I used for the boy. Next is the Pencil drawing that I did to work out more of the details. This was on regular typing paper, then I scanned it, and decided to crop it to just the white area to focus more on the kids than the room.

Next I enlarged the main elements (Boy, Girl, and Background) to 8.5 X 11 and traced them on bristol board. Then I cleaned up the drawings, fixing some of the mistakes and adding some details. Then Inked.

Scanned in the inked images, removed the blue, and put them all together in PS to make one black and white line image.

Basic color layout, I changed some of the colors as I worked, but this is where my head was when I started. Starting on modeling the kids.

More coloring. I added cast shadows, and the wallpaper. Then a Gray scale Value check.

More working and more working. I added in the crayon on the girls paper, and deepened some of the shadows.

The final, and the graphic for the ceral box. I didn't put that much effort into the graphic, because you can hardly see it anyway. All in all, i'm very happy with how this illustration came out. I learned a lot, both about PS, and my work process. I think if I were to go back and work more on it, I would add more clutter on the floor, but maybe that's a lesson for next time.

Lastly, I have the first 25 Self Portraits up on my blog. Go check it out! http://redherringillustration.blogspot.com

Thanks for stoppin' in!
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The selfportraits on the blog are flippin nice, mate. Looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where's the stuff from last night?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys!

I Gots some more artworks for you... But first REPLIES!

FlaskpostThanks man! It's kind of a pain in the but keeping up on it, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Zebz Too much stuff at one time is hard for me to look at. So I kind of try to keep it down. I had the other stuff ready to go, so that's what went first. The new stuff took all morning to get scanned in.

Okay, I have a lot of new sketchbook pages, and some stuff I did with sketch group. Some of this is really old. It was so long since I last updated that things kind of got backed up.

This first drawing was just a speed exercise. I was trying to get a workable, accurate drawing within 30 to 45 minutes. I think this one clocked at 45. there are issues... The head is wrong, I drew in a corrected one to the right, and his right leg should be bent more, and his left one extended more. Overall though, not too bad. It would probably work with text laid out over it.

Zombie doodle in PS. I got here, and didn't know how to continue. I need to spend more time with the program to start developing a good working method that doesn't involve so much searching, and starting over.

Working in PS for Sketchgroup. Also the ref photo. The Idea was working on blocking in the value range first so the image could be developed further. This is my first real attempt at this, so I have mixed feelings about the success of it.

Another PS drawing from ref. Again I have mixed feelings about it.

Here's a girl doodle I did in the doctors office the day we found out we were having a girl. There's a lot more girls in my SB now, Ha-ha!

Drawings of Ryan from Sketchgroup. This is two Ten-minute poses, and a Thirty.

I did some male Individual studies from magazines. I'd meant to do more of them, but things sort of got away from me. Maybe I'll get back to it. I think I spent about 15 or 20 minutes each on these.

Some Character sketches for ROTO.

More refinement of the Abigail character. It started off as just a one off story, but I'm developing it into a much larger one involving the doom crew, the citadel of doom, love, betrayal, friendship, and a quest. Narrated by the Assistant Dishwasher in the Citadel of Doom.

An astronaut I started for a Daily Sketch Group topic. Didn't finish it though.

Character drawing for the Assistant Dishwasher.

Drawing for an Illustrationfriday topic, "Save". That I did at Sketch group last week.

Some more Abigail sketches, trying out different poses. This is partly timed exercises, and partly trying out repurposing photo ref for different characters.

Okay! So that's it for today! My new tablet pen is coming this week, so I'll finally be able to try out the bigger work area on the tablet a guy at work gave me (Thanks again Jason!). I'm really looking forward to having a little more control in PS. I know there's no holy grail as far as materials go, but better materials DO mean at least a little less grumbling. Ha-ha!

Again, thank you all so much for looking, and I'll talk at you again soon!
    Your friend
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a really great sketchbook going on here. In your most recent post your cartoon works are very strong, but on your portrait studies I feel you were hindered a little bit because of a small brush. Try using a much larger brush to block in the basic shape and shadow then move to the smaller brush.

I love your SB and look forward to seeing more of your work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the variety of work that you do and the quality is really impressive. I Love the sketchbook pages, of course, and all the self portraits. It's really neat to see your process on that piece with the little kids. Great pen work...I would suggest pushing yourself to keep trying to create more fluid poses. Stellar work, my man!

Also, thanks for the critique on my own sketchbook, it means a lot to me.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.