Thread: Tablet Size?

Thanks

Tablet Size?

I'm sure this has been posted before, probably a number of times in CA history, but the search button is just plain not working...

I'm considering saving up some money for a tablet. I've settled on a Wacom Intuos 3, as that seems to be the best choice out there, but I'm debating between a 9x12 or a 6x8. Initially, I thought 9x12 because that's the size of my sketchbook and a format I'm used to working with. But if the 6x8 is viable and I can do without the extra space, I would like to spend less money. I'm aware that, because its digital, I can have as much or as little space as I want on an actual piece, but is it comfortable to work at 6x8? What are everyone's thoughts? What sizes do people generally use?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like both
    9x12 more though cause it's what I've got (so I HAVE to like it) and it's more impressive looking :p
    9x12 is pretty facken big, actual (non active-area) size is bigger than A3, so you need pleeeeenty of desk space!
    And I'd say any monitor smaller than 19", with a 9x12, is too big (becomes very annoying that it takes a million years to travel the your arm/the pointer from one corner of the wacom/screen to the other).
    Also, I hold my pen way too tight and on a 6x8 I got cramped up hand tendons and wrists, with a 9x12 I found it's easier to draw looser and from the wrist, but as I'm sure you know it really comes down to personal preference

Thanks
    I have a 9x12 because I use two 17' monitors while I work at home. Prior to this, when I worked on a sinlge 17'' monitor, I had no trouble with a 6x8.

I find the 9x12 too damn big to take with me on freelance assignments (bought a laptop to make life easier when I travel yet I bought a large tablet... go me) so I'm going to be a brat and get a 6x8 for travelling too.

Thanks
    9x12 is what i use, i also have 6x8 but i much prefer the larger although it wont make your art better, just easier to render.

Thanks
    A6 size here.. just got it.. seemed small at first but as I use it it feels much bigger.. Couldnt be happier.

Thanks
    How usuable is 4x5?
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Phaethon-
    I'm looking to downsize my 9X12 to a 6X8 for travel. I have a well maintained Intuos 2. 6X8 Intuos 3 goes for about $319 (URL below). I'll sell you my Intuos 2 9X12 for $250 (it doesn't have that new tablet smell). That'll get you a big tablet, and get me close to being in a new 6X8. How 'bout THEM apples?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=687791

Thanks
    i use a 4x5 graphire its is super old but still getst the job done.

Thanks
    I will got my new tablet tomorrow, its an 9x12 intuos 3.
    I have an graphire a5 before and it works well, but I think I need a larger tablet.. Cause the lines be so "long". and The new a4 tablet fits my monitor alots better.. I have also test an intuos 3 a6.. And I dont think thats good enough.. 1 cm on the tablet = 7 cm on the monitor not much precision...

Thanks
    I have an old 4x5 at home and will probably auction it since it's become far too small for me. I've been working with 6x8 and now with 9x12 and love it. I'm considering a 9x12 for myself or maybe a Citinq.... When I win the lottery that is.

Thanks
    i have a 4x5 at home and it works just as good as the 9x12's they have at my school. sometimes I bring my 4x5 because I'm just used to it and prefer it.

btw... people with big wacom tablets are just trying to compensate for their small penis size.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    btw... people with big wacom tablets are just trying to compensate for their small penis size.
    What about women artists??

I use a 6X8 because there's not enough space on my desk for a 9X12. No other reason.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    6x8 here, I prefer it to the huge tablets they have at Uni, probably because I tend to draw fairly small.

Also the 6x8 barely fits on my desk as it is, no room for anything bigger.

Thanks
    I use a 4x5 on a 20" or 19" monitor, and it's way too small. Not sure if the intuos models are better, but the graphire 3 I have (ty calle ) hasn't got enough resolution for the 1600x1200 screen res.
    When I use it, circles tend to get corners etc.

.meow
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MorteM
    I use a 4x5 on a 20" or 19" monitor, and it's way too small. Not sure if the intuos models are better, but the graphire 3 I have (ty calle ) hasn't got enough resolution for the 1600x1200 screen res.
    When I use it, circles tend to get corners etc.

.meow
    I use 1024x768, and I think my monitor is 17". Opinion?
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks

Widescreen Intous

I was planning on buying an A5 intous3 but was unsure of the benefits of the wide version.

I normally use a widescreen laptop but occasionally I use a regular monitor for work. (not at the same time.)

Does anyone own the wide version?
    Will using the wide version on a regular 'square' monitor effect it?
    Does it make a difference if i use a standard A5 tablet on a widescreen?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Am I right in thinking that the Intous3 series has a transparent surface to allow tracing of images?

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help guys!

I think, in the end, I'm probably going to go with a 6x8. Its about $100 cheaper for starters, and it sounds like it'll work fine on my 17-inch monitor. I guess I've got to think about a tablet more like a paintbrush and less like a sketchbook; the stylus is a brush on a large canvas and the actual tablet surface is just a square window that I can move around that canvas. And it sounds like it fits better on a desk...

My new life philosophy: "You can always return it."

Thanks
    about 7" erect

oh wait nm

i have a 6x8 graphire and i think it is a good entry level tablet, certainly i dont think i'd need anything more until i was waaaay better. I run 1024x768, 17" and it's fine. seriously if it's that much of an issue with res, turn it down a little when you paint, or even get a second, smaller moniter. anyway if you're that leet that you have a whopping big screen you can afford a bigger tablet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    What about women artists??

I use a 6X8 because there's not enough space on my desk for a 9X12. No other reason.
    I'd love to hear any Freudian explanation on that one. ParkerD ? Am I compensating for the LACK of one out of jealousy ?