hand studies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: hand studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hand studies

here are 3 hand studies I did and I would like some crits on what is wrong with them.
    the third one is done with charcoal and I personally think its the best out of all of them.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are a good start, but you really need to understand how the hand works. I have some studies, check my sig, I also posted in another hand thread, what I had learnt.
    You need to find out how the bones in the hand connect, and their size ratio. There are all sorts of handy (hehe) shortcuts you can learn fx, the middle finger is as long as the palm, and so forth. I recomend starting to draw the underlying skeleton and bones firts, and then gradually fleshing them out. Alos do LOTS of small hands, fill a page where you just try to get down the general shape. Also forget about fingernails for the time being, they come later. No hairs or details like that yet either. Just the shape. I thing the first one is the best one. You ahve a few size ratios right there, fx the thumbjoint is quite even with index knuckle.
    Good luck!
    Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    timpaatkins
    Thanks for the info I will try both yours and jens ideas on how to draw hands, and I will find some books on hand anatomy so I can learn the structure, your help is greatly appreciated.

Jens
    your exercises and pictures are really helpful and I plan on practicing them over christmas thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    remember to first start with a gesture, do the whole hand without thinking and then go in with corrections. try to train your eye to recognize angles

deprived me of my coil

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.