old house
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: old house

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb old house

wondering about a few a few prints of a house i have just bought.... They look very interesting and one of them was dated 1945.... A lady in a ball gown playing a violin, in front of a window... almost looks 3-d..... does any one have a clue

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i used to do antique appraisals (the ONLY job you can get with a History degree) for an auction house.

Prints are generally not very valuable because they are just prints. Particulary if the oldest one is dated 1945, I'm afraid it's not worth a whole lot.

What keeps the value of a print high is the date (prints made in the 1700's are the most valuable), and the preservation of the colors. Most of the colors fade, particularly reds and blues, and the yellows turn green. So if the reds are still vivid you got something semi-worth something. It also depends on how aged the paper is and what it's made of. certain papers weren't made until a particular date in time, or a certain part of the world because of certain trees were harder to find to make paper out of. Needless to say, the rarer the paper, the more it's worth.

another thing that's important about a print is the subject matter. Fashion prints (women in 1700's styled dresses with umbrellas) and flowers are the most popular because they are most likely to sell at an auction. The were used to decorate the posh Victorian-era salons. Victorian and Louis XVI era prints are the best in terms of sale-value. The reason being is that 1600's prints, though rare, are of moody subject matter (religious stuff, people being decapitated, etc... don't appeal to rich women who have too much money to spend). Happier subjects are better. Fashion, flowers, cute animals, etc...

In addition, most prints are made in sets. typically to tell a story. sort of like an old-school comic book. there should be other prints that belong to that one you have of similar storyline. Prints are generally not worth as much without the ENTIRE set. Prints made in the 16 and 1700's, of the full set, will sell in the thousands. A single print, made in the past 100 years, won't sell at all.

I haven't seen your print, so it's hard to make an estimation.

btw... You might want to check out antique websites such as http://www.oneofakindantiques.com/

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by CaptainInsano; December 20th, 2005 at 01:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.