Sketchbook: Sartell (*~retry?~*) sketchbook (updated DEC. 14th!)~* - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sartell (*~retry?~*) sketchbook (updated DEC. 14th!)~*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a wonderful understanding of concept, anatomy looks good on most of your stuff, style is very intersting, your concepts have nice dynamic poses also. Keep up the good work.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

August 1st

WOOOO page 2, I never thought i'd make it~*

Darktwin You flatter me man, thank you. The word concept is meaning more and more to me every day~*

Here is a 60% finished version of the "Cyber Phoenix," not really sure where to take the lighting and still have a ton of texture/detail stuff I want to put in~* Comments and crits welcome, I'll post the finished phoenix and ninja real soon, I just need the okay from the boss~*

____i_should_be_animating___________
    Sartell's Distraction sketchbook

Nothing touches an artist as much as the person who says, “I would like to own this little piece of your soul… here's some cash.” Matt Cavotta

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colors are total sweetness. I love the maroon/ochre scheme you've got going on here.

Is this round going to be done up as a promo poster also? If so, then I think it may be the same issue as before-- the ninja looks great as does the phoenix, but put together the colors will look off.

Shoot me an email with your info bro. It's my CA user tag at gmail. Right on right on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joooelly, you're doing it with the last 2
    whatever you're on - keep up the dosage!

i feel the second one (bird) might work better in a bigger canvas (same proportions) so you could play more with the composition. now i think it's a little cramped

Honest love makes one's soul a reflection of the partner's mood.

No sleep - More draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quickie

Going to sleep figured i'd post some progress....... it took FOREVER to do all that ornamentation..... some things it would have been okay but i decided to do waaay too much. REMINDER: still not done.....

GR.........

Last edited by Sartell; August 2nd, 2006 at 11:29 AM.

Nothing touches an artist as much as the person who says, “I would like to own this little piece of your soul… here's some cash.” Matt Cavotta

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook my freind you'll get four stars from me. Your anatomy is stupendous!! And you have a very potent approach to your palette. Great job your pencil work is dynamic keep it up i cannot wait to see you blossom further. Alot of eye candy here and variety from environs. to characters to creatures great job here. Don't stop you are well on your way friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah you definitly get 4 stars from me, thanks for stopping in the sb, colors are looking really good, not much to crit, just can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

supaninja

BDfoster They are for playmats, so they will probably never be anywhere close to each other unless you buy both or your opponent has one. I'm really taking your words to heart and trying out diff. lights/colors, its really making me feel better about what i'm doing and I can't thank you enough. OHH BTW I have been a fan of Dave Devries for a while, and the monster drawings from his kids stuff was sweetness. Thanx again

eeeeYAL HAHA i'm totally on this sweet new ampheta.... I mean herbal supplement~* I hope i'm getting better I was all gung-ho in the beginning and man did that die quick this summer. Its def. cramped btw., I plan on moving it up a bit, the canvas size is set in stone unfortunately.

ashrumm You honor me (bow.) I appreciate the kind words, I seem to be working harder every day, but sometimes I need to pull back and just learn~*

Darktwin HAHA I was like ashrumm stole that photo you did of your brother....... ohh, he is your brother. MAN thats cool. Thanx for the stars i'll try to deserve the rating~* OHH and that finished product:

NIN JA

GOTTA fix that right hand but I have to turn it in for now to make the bossman happy, comments and crits welcome thanx again~*

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey !Cool updates man. If i had a nice red theme on my desktop, i would definatly put that nice phoenix on the background
    I don't know why, but i prefer the first one most, i looks like a mural paint or something. But that's just me
    the last one is looking good, the composition is nicelly thought. Though i think some more darker values would really make it pop out.
    Also rework a bit the upper left arm, the triceps would influence more the shape of it.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recursive End There's waaay better drawings for your BG, but super-flattering non-the-less And I can't believe I forgot the tricep, kept telling myself I would put it in, and I think I forgot after I put in the dragon tattoo.... back to work~*

So I decided sleepin' is for babies and drew this last night getting ready for the next project, and i'll be honest I've never tried rendering a female before its gonna be a new experience, no super muscles and whatnot.... but I think its comin out okay~*

Props to Boris Vallejo for the inspiration on her accessories, and props to my little sister for helping me w/ reference (she was the spirit too in the cards on page 1~*)

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff! I really like the last one, I think it would be great in colors also. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diggity-Damn!!! Where did this insanity come from? The phoenix is looking pretty damn good. I'm not sure on the background, though. I love the texture, but if you're trying to get it to look like fire, you'll want a) a little more saturation to make it vibrant and looking like "light" b)lose the soft fade on the wings. If you want them to go into the fire, you need to make me believe that the fire has volume and depth-- right now it's more of a flat texture. A lick of flame coming up to obscure a section here and there, but the straight fade is a little too unnatural.

The ninja freaking knocked me out of my seat, bro. I agree with the tricep crit, but that's minor. The only other thing that leapt out at me was the feeling like he's floating a tad too much. I'm thinking that the toes on his front foot should be curled back a bit like he's got a little weight on the ball of his foot, and possibly more indication of shadow to ground that foot to the rooftop? Just some thoughts, though it's probably late in the game to execue on it.

AND the butterfly girl... "It's turning out OK?" That's a hella understatement. Gorgeous, dude. Linework is top notch, pose is excellent (I love the foreshortened foot tucked under), the art nouveau jewelry totally fits your line style and the pose... my only crit-- and I'm not sure about this-- is whether I'd want to see some of the other arm (her right). It's not critical, and putting it in my ruin the gorgeous sillouhette you've got there, so it's one of those "I'd try it (tracing paper?) and see how it looks and decide from there."

Sweetness!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fairy:)

elisa THANKS! Color is comin along (*see below!)

BDfoster I'm makin the changes to the Phoenix right after this, thanks soo much again man i'm serious your support is kindlin' the fire i've got going lately! Remember when you asked why I didn't do more pen stuff?? I'm starting to be really happy I went back even for a little bit Sent you an e-mail too man~* BTW thanx for the signature tag, lady killer?? How'd you know~*

Okay, so I opened up my sketchbook today and I had 4 stars !!! I have no idea how the ratings work, but it means a lot to me whoever voted I am really honored people are diggin my stuff.

Fairy process, just basically putting in some color seeing what happens, i'll be done w/ it by sunday so i'll keep poundin away~*

Thank you all again for the support, drawing is becoming a real treat to do again and I gotta thank my friends at Conceptart for it~*

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is too awesome. Great updates. The lady in the last piece, wings look cool. My only crit would be the knees. They look too lumpy and angular. But I'm nitpicking, can't wait to see the finished product

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot damn, some sweet action goin on over here! Your atention to detail is phenomenal and you've got some really nice atmosphere to your pieces. All really well done.
    If you're still lookin for crits on the ninja piece, I'd say the hand on the left, his right, show go a little darker or somethin, right now it's about the same value as what's behind it, making it kinda blend into the bg. Not a big thing at all, but it would make him stand out a bit more. His eyes being some of the darkest values in the piece is really nice, draws your eye right to em.
    Kinda the same thing goin on in the pheonix piece, if you knocked back the gem on his wing a tad it would make his eyes pop more. Again, just a minor quibble, there's so much to admire in that piece.
    And the fairy is lookin really nice so far, can't wait to see more progress on that one. These jams are happenin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your work especially the midtone paper you are using./ It really allows you more tone in the work. Nice!!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aug. 5

darkchild You're sooooo right about those knees the one i'm posting now is still nubby i'll def. fix it, thanx again by the way~*

Andy P Yeah that hand was just not doin it for me, I could barely tell it was there, i'll try darkening it or upping the contrast in that area. The phoenix def. needs another 3-4 hours of just light correction, its very flat and I have to push those darks good call thnx man~*

silvestri99 Hey thanx people seem to really enjoy that toned paper, I have some new stuff I should scan in but this new project is bustin my balls here~*

Here is a progress shot on the fairy. If you know who Maxfield Parrish is you'll know where I got the color ideas from Not sure if i'm gonna keep it so muted, but I don't even know if this is what my boss wants (are there guys who are gonna wanna play with this mat?) who knows.

Crits would by really awesome, i'm in no mans land for me on this image

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was telling you this on AIM, but you want the post, so here you go. Bootleg one-sided crit/conversation, Advocate Style.

the lowest edges of the legs need to be softened, theres some intense jaggies goin on, especially in the knee region. you need to darken that foot too, where it curves under her pooper, and put more drop shadow on the top of the calf. so fuckin, make those gems on her necklace more sparkly, im guessing there's supposed to be an element of transparency to them.
    aaand the area where her wing meets her back is pretty off, the stark black meeting the highlights on her back throws it all off. her belly-button is also contrasting, because its basically a black blob. The saturation of the wings, mostly in the black bits, is very light, I know it's because of the filtered light and such, but a little darkening couldn't hurt. Other than the light anamolies, this is yet another one of your mind boggling, near perfect pieces. Your latest trend in work is completely different than your old stuff, while still retaining the ol' Early style. I cant get over this man, keep it the fuck up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fairy crit:

Joel,

you know who this is, or at least you should.

Now on to the crit:

Firstly, the wings and the figure do not go at all. One is too realistic versus the other. Having the client's criteria in mind, I would choose to simplify the amount of detail in the wings and brighten it up a bit. Also, it seems that the wings are covered in a fog while the figure is not. it could be that you intend to put this completely over the image, i dunno, but at this stage it does not look to be based on intent.
    On a lighter note: i really enjoy the amount of detail you have put into the wings already and im looking forward to seeing it in the figure, but alas i dont think thats what the client is aiming for. perhaps you can use this as a portfolio piece and give the toned down (crappier) version to the client. je ne sais pas.

Secondly, the figure. i agree with these other fellows that the figure seems a bit jagged. My suggestion is this, find some victoria secret mags and study some of the kneeling poses. That will undoubtedly give you a great sense of how the curves and angles should be.
    The shadows of the figure make her look dirty (cheek, armpit, and elbow area). It does not give me a sense of light that is being casted on her. the only thing that gives me a sense of light are the highlights. The shadows could be done by using the opposite of her skin tone (inverse) and dropping the opacity. i think you are doing this and that may be the problem. another idea is to add black to the skin tone to darken it.
    im not feeling the clothing on the figure. i think the hair matches it too much. i suggest you change the color of the hair. im thinking like a bleach blonde almost white color.

Thirdly, the wisping butterflies. i think this is a fun idea and i think you should play with it more. get a bit more dynamic. this piece out of all your work is the least dynamic and has the least amount of perspective. this isnt what im used to out of you and perhaps you are trying to explore a different approach and if you are, i applaud your efforts, however i think this piece is very static (wee! what a run-on sentence!). you have some great elements that will allow you to expand the piece further and give it more of that bang ive come to enjoy from your other works. The wisping butterflies being one of them.
    right now you're on the fence. and one side you have this nice subtle approach to the piece. on the other hand you have the dynamic detail and aggressive approach. you're in the middle, choose one!

Fourthly, the environment. i really enjoy the color palette here. i think the clouds need to be blurred a bit or at the very least dropped in detail. it also feels very much like its been painted (splattered). i enjoy this look but its very different from the foreground figure and other elements in the piece other than the rock.
    i feel that there should be some more foliage and not just silhouetted leaves. a variety is needed: flowers and leaves of different shapes and sizes. granted, this may take away from your figure but i think you can find a nice balance between the two.

as it stands, you have a lot of different opportunites that you can pursue. i kinda feel that this piece is a little cliche. i really dont know how to remedy that since almost every fairy pic looks like this and it is the best way to portray one. good stuff so far though, and i hope to see the final very soon. good luck bro and i hope this helps you out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping by my thread!
    Holy crap, so much detail in this one:
    http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3...phoenixpe1.jpg
    looks fantastic. I like how you kept the brightest value in the eye.

On the latest piece I agree with Tearis on the shadows, I think it's partly the colors you've chosen. The yellow and violet are muddying a bit.. but I also do like the overall color scheme. If you go for a split-compliment it'll give you some more colors to work into the figure. Can't wait to see where you take it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright, i'm going to repeat myself: is all about the form. you're doing it, you just gotta push your z-axis more.

for example, let's imagine her torso is box shaped, with the wider plane facing the light. the plane facing us (under the arms) is hidden from direct light.
    the way you rendered there's light hitting the LINE of the stomac rather than the form (=planar depth).

now if you fix those kind of stuff i don't think the anatomy will matter that much. try breaking things to planes i know u can do it.

having more depth will allow you to properly plant the wings on her as well, making them unified with her body form and appear more consistant.

one crit tho is 'detail resolution' : the dark trees on the left gets the most detail, and that doesn't work imo, it pops out too much and doesn't deserve so much attention.

Honest love makes one's soul a reflection of the partner's mood.

No sleep - More draw!

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daaarrrrn!! Thanks for the comment man...it should really be directed here, beautiful stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    your shit is pretty boss, but your anatomy aint.

On your sister - just make her look less flat.

Dont be afraid of the shading man, i bet your working on it really close up.

See you later and keep up the good work.
    And ps - im glad that your thinking about what the audience wants, thats the key to success, perhaps only monetary success, but none the less.
    Peace

And Ill leave the real criticism to Eyal and others who seem to know more than myself, but your sig on the art looks a little weird. Maybe practice that too. Haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.
    First, thank you for the [very very] kind words you drop in my SB... really appreciate these days. you're awesome !

Good stuff in your SB, lot of style. Your twisted cretures remember me Segur, a french guy who draw comics. Do you know him ? Something similar but not that close too, so I was wondering.
    On the cards, the first one is the most successful, far away from the others. Did you use references ? Nice job with that one, in anycase.

The Ninja... I like the dynamism, and so the renders. Something bothered me with the legs, but I can't point precisely what it is... Sorry. Nice atmosphear, the strong point of this picture.

Hope my english is fine.
    Julien.

PS: Ho I missed the fairy, nice. Nice.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK... I think you've got enough stuff to think about on the fairy from the other crits here, and all of it is spot on. The one thing I would add, and I see this in a lot of "colored linework", is that you need to think of unifying the rendering style. If the linework on the figure is going to remain as strong as it is, you need to keep an element of that in your background. A stronger outline on the rocks, perhaps, would serve to bring that element into the same picture plane. Right now the graphic outline on the figure and the very painterly BG are really disparate. The obvious second solution would be to elminate the outline on the figure, and go more painterly with her. Either or. I'll reserve any other crits I have for after you've looked at all the other adjustments suggested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joel, looks like the summer has been good to you. The new ones are showin a big improvement I'd say. I don't know if this has been said or not, but I've noticed that alot of your creatures seem really 'smooth', with little texture. Some things you could do to challenge yourself if you want would be to paint a whole image without using pre made textures, or looking at more reference. (Yeah, I'm a texture freak, tree bark skin and all that).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aug. 8

WOW!

AdvocateofFate I just wanted it in writing so I wouldn't close the damn IM, chu know. Thanks for the crit, I tried fixing a couple of the things, probably in poor ways but ways none the less, its done when its done I still wanna change a gojillion things anways. Go ringling~*

tearis Absolutely epic crit thing you Kimmy Gibs~* REALLY tried to pay attention to everything you said, a lot of those things were really bothering me and I still am not a 100% sure how to fix them. Thanks again man and welcome to CA, hope its not the last time i seez you~*

gaijin Good call on the muddyness, I tried to fix it pump it up a little and adding some of the split to break it up, thanks again for the crit.

eeeyal tried fixing the tree's. BUT I def. tried fixing the z axis thing, making it pop out waaay more, its comin but i'm not really sure I get it yet and thats frustrating me (*if it were at all possible to truly get~*) Thanx again for the crit.

asoir I am but a tiny man in the world of art Thanx for the kind words~*

asher *ahem* check what it says under my user name, thats all you~* I know my anatomy is off, this pose however is from reference and that makes it even HARDER for me to tell whats wrong w/ it!! Tried making it less flat, figure i've succeeding in some ways and made it just harsh in others blehhh...... I'll talk to you soon thanx again~*

Alday.J Yeah on the cards only the first one was reference, the rest were just sitting down and throwing down lines~* Thank you so much for the post I gotz a ton of respect for you! HAHA and your english is better than some people I know in the states, more props~*

BDfoster I've tried to tie the linework of the figure into the background so they don't look so separate.... its workin a little but i'm not sure its all the way there yet.. unified would be a major overstatement but its getting there I think. Thanks again man, congrats to your son btw, i'm so embarrassed~*

mysticaldonkey DREW!! man peoplez comin out of the woodwork~* Good to hear from you man, the master of baby tiny detail himself Yeah, its a terrible habit and its really sad that i'm trying to make up for it in texture brushes..... bleehhhh... i really should just do a whole painting w/0 them, it would help me out a bunch~* Thanx again for the crit

Heres the fairy. Lots of crits and lots of going through them over and over are basically what this is the result of Its not 100% done but i'm giving it to the boss like this to see what he thinks, crossssss my fingers~*
    Comments and crits are still welcome thank you guys so much for the help!!

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartell
    HAHA and your english is better than some people I know in the states, more props~*
    Ouch ! That should hurt a lot of ears in that case, he ! haha ! thanks man, love and respect back at ya ! For the crit, I second BDfoster about the line extended to the background, but according how far is your picture, maybe it's something to keep aside... The second BDfoster's option seems good too. Anyway: nice progress with the picture, more variety with the colors, nice mood.
    Cheers.
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot damn, fantastic stuff, incredible.
    The rendering is crazy, and your digital is great....
    more pleeeeze, this is 5 star stuff for sure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gencon

Alday.J HAHA yeah i guarantee european's at least understand english better a lot of the time~* And thank you again man, btw checked out Segur, he's got some cool stuff (*and I immediately saw what you were talking about), i'd be able to find more if i spoke french!! Ohh I take BDfosterpants crits very seriously, he's like master splinter or somethin these days~*

blanquish WOW thank you you are too kind. Geezems, i'm still struggling to get used to the idea of 4 stars, gimme like.... 4 more years~*

First time bumpin' my thread w/o artwork, but its cuz i'll be gone for the next week in Indianapolis at Gencon (huge magic the
    gathering/trading card event, i think its the biggest) if any CA members are in Indy you should come down!! I know there will
    be some people from CA there anyway~* Take care all!! I'll have tons of sketches for when I get back!

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.