Blaster Master Redesign WIP Thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Blaster Master Redesign WIP Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blaster Master Redesign WIP Thread

I'm using this thread to dump my process work for my Thunderdome entry. I chose to redesign characters from the old NES game 'Blaster Master'.

I've been sketching stuff for a few days, just trying to get the mechanics of the concept for the tank down. I think I've got things locked down and I'm at a point where I can do more finished concepts. After the tank is done, I'll work on the kid in the tank.

A lot of these sketches are just me noodling out ideas and look a bit shaky, but it's how I think things out.

I'm definitely open to feedback and ideas.

First sketch page

Second sketch page

Small, quick perspective sketch. I tried to work out the different forms and the positioning in 3d. I used Lightwave to make a really primitive underlay so I could mess with camera angles and turret rotation, etc., instead of having to struggle with getting a particular shot right by making lots of bad sketches.

I know it's kind of lazy, but it lets me focus on the drawing instead of struggling with geting the right 'angle'.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some great looking schematics there! I envy folks who can bang out machinery at that level. Very good work.

Irate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey blackhand-- i really like all your thumbnails and process pics--youre working things out--no doubt!!

as far as the design -- i like it. however i feel that it is a representation of what the vehicle would look like if it were real--in other words it doesnt feel like the vehicle is re-designed as much as just brought into reality. This is what i would picture it to look like if someone were to build it. And that may be what your going for--it is important to retain the characteristics so when someone sees it they say " oh shit--its blaster master!!' all im saying is dont be afraid to push it in some other directions--anything goes!!!

personally i think you can push it even further---see much potential i do

keep up the great work

also--i reember the vehicle could swivel the head around 360% does the design implement this?

on the last sketch at bottom the way the pole joints are attached to head wouldnt allow it to swivel 360%
    but the other sketches look like the pole joints attach to a piece underneith the cockpit structure---so maybe they connect to a piece that stays static--but the way the piece connects to the cockpit piece would allow for swivel?

like the pole joints are teh shocks--but teh piece they conncet to is still--but the head piece can swivel on (within)it

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick sketch in perspective. I've worked out the form details for the chassis and explored having the tires treaded with tank tracks--inspired by a tread design from a Panzer Tiger tank. I'm big on using references.

The sketch is an incremental revision. I think I'll start working full size soon to refine details even further. I'm unhappy with the turret as is and some of the detailing. I'll hit up my reference books for some more convincing stuff.

Thanks for the great feedback, irate and tyboogie.

What I am trying to do is flesh out the Blaster Master tank concept into something 'real'. I wanted to stay true to the silhouette and form, but add the details and design to make it a 'real world' design.

The turret is able to rotate 360 degrees. The 4 support linkages are attached to a swivel base to allow the turret to rotate freely. The linkage arms just control up and down motion and shock absorption.

This isn't clear with the perspective sketch because it's obscured.

Also, I hear what you're saying about pushing the concept further. Admittedly, I got an idea in my head and pretty much stuck with it for the sake of time. The designer in me says to do more form studies and concepts, but the sloth in me says to just finish this.

I'll probably go back and do a page full of side views, exploring more forms. Thanks for calling me out on that, tyboogie.

Last edited by blackhand; April 18th, 2003 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the perspective drawing, I think the cannon looks tweaked, the base is a football compared to the circular end(I am exaggerating so hopefully you'll see it.) beyond that I really have no design gripes except it seems kinda small, that might just be my impression:p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dustin, some of the ellipses in that last perspective sketch are all wonked out. I'll work out these issues as I do the final drawing. Thanks for noting it, though.

I've started doing some sketches for 'Jason' the pilot of the Blaster Master tank.

Again, the design is more grounded in 'reality', like the tank. Sharp eyes will probably notice the Masamune Shirow inspired 'Seburo Carbine'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man-- i think the design is solid on the fig---if not completely original--the mask reminds me of halo

but the mech soldier has got to be the hardest uniform to reinvent--so youve got your work cut out for you!!!

i love the gun--i would chop off that little barrel at the end

just me personally---solid stuff dude --keep it up!!!!

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!
    Always wondered how one of those Seburos would be like to hold...

www.robertomarchesi.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyboogie, I kept thinking 'Master Chief' as I was drawing the helmets, too. The one helmet on the bottom reminded me of Metroid. The concept for the figure is definitely something that needs to be pushed further, but at least it's consistent with the tank.

You're definitely right, though, it's hard to reinvent the mech soldier.

R_M, there's a limited edition Airsoft Seburo gun that came out a few years back. I don't have a thousand bucks to blow, so I couldn't tell you how one feels.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished the final drawing for the tank design. Now it's time to work on the pilot, drop him in the image, and paint the whole thing.

Detail of the tire and treads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty much finished with the color rendering for the tank, but I'll refrain from posting that until the deadline for Thunderdome.

Here's a WIP shot of the painting, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the details you have on the car. I started to work on a remake of blaster master too.

Post a pic of the final. I would like to see the finished version.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.