E.O.W Round 9: Hell - THE BIG VOTE!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite hell.

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck,mate.

14 17.95%
  • auden100

4 5.13%
  • romance

7 8.97%
  • conundrum

2 2.56%
  • frostsnake

0 0%
  • Hideyoshi

2 2.56%
  • Hazamataz

0 0%
  • shadoman

6 7.69%
  • Chingwa

1 1.28%
  • bumskee

42 53.85%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 9: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC:
    hell

Deadline For Voting: Sunday 25th December (christmas omigosh!)

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

[URL=http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57418[/URL]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck,mate.
    Hell
    The evidence indicates rather that hell is a place essentially of shame, one in which people will have no fellowship or discourse with God. Biblical pictures of flame are clearly metaphors, first because if taken literally they result in contradiction (how can there be flames, yet also darkness, as the Bible says?); second, because as metaphors they fit in with other metaphors (flames and thirst as the opposite of water, which is in Scripture a metaphor for God's Spirit) and also fit a literal experience of shame (think of being ashamed and your face burning.) Furthermore, other descriptions of hell, such as people weeping and grinding their teeth, match with expressions of shame in the ancient world, but not physical pain.

("The Doctrine of Hell in a Nutshell" -James Patrick Holding)

auden100

After ten thousand years of resentment and planning, the dark lord guides his young wife across a frozen lake of ash and through the gateway to his domain. There are demons petrified as gargoyles in the places they were standing at the end of the last Great War, and the glowing script is record of the couple's prophetic consumation and infernal conception of the Anti-christ: the event that will reignite the burning pits of hell.

romance
    This entry is an homage to the film High Plains Drifter. It's a Clint Eastwood film. The town begs for Eastwood's protection from bandits and the only way they'll get it is if they paint their ENTIRE town red and name it HELL.

conundrum
    As the damned souls filed into their new home for the next eternity they were amazed to find that the stereotype about horns and the devil was in fact true. To the point where he had even used them as a major part of Hell's external decoration.

frostsnake
    100 years after the incident on Phobos(one of the moons on mars) the government decided to fill it up with criminals,and make it a huge jail.History was forgotten and the leaders of earth didnt know what was ahead of them... HELL!

Hideyoshi
    : Steaming lava, sounds of madness & evil, the smell being unbareable -we find ourselves in hell. It's up to you where you wanna go once you're dead... ::

Hazamataz
    Hell got old... people started to adapt to all the pain and torture, ...even... like it. And with humans digging deeper, it wouldnt be long before the firey depths of hell were uncovered. This was the answer, a new realm of the clouds, of the mind. The only torture was that of oneself. The souls were abandoned, filed away, left for an infinite life of regret and self pity.

Based on part of a dictionary definition of hell.
    "Among ancient Jews, Sheol or Tophet was conceived as a gloomy place of departed souls where they are not tormented but wander about unhappily"

shadoman
    Hell. The final resting place of all damned souls.

At first arrival they are tortured by clawed demons—ripping and tearing at the skin until it is shredded from the muscle. Then they move down the Stairwell of Zwellalla into the eternal lake of fire, where they will burn and writhe until time’s end.

Chingwa
    The gate of Mugengoku
    Entering the eighth hell, the blast furnace of Mugengoku, souls labor through a great wasteland of barren ice. Escape is impossible. Those who attempt are mercilessly hunted by the circling Vajra... winged demons wreathed in flame.

bumskee
    The doomed souls will walk the misty barren land alone. Their guilt and sins from the past will mock them through their journey, tormenting and tricking their minds. They will arrive through the gate of the dead and they will earn their redemption to another chance at life or forever be lost in hell.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee get's it. Nice mood!
    Shadoman, conundrum = runner ups

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awsome work everyone, and thanks for the vote!

my vote went to conundrum, toss up between him and chuck mate, the gate looked like this figure with arms spread out welcoming, but not really? thought it had an interesting angle there.

Romance, nice execution, though I didn't quite feel hell..

auden100, really thought the build up of the figures on the right were a nice touch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for shadoman for the great job on rendering.

Bumskee & ChuckMate - Simple, yet very effective, your my runner ups

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Bumskee for creating such an eerie and dread filled atmosphere.
    Runner Up:
    Chingwa- I sometimes feel that Hell would be far more hellish being cold, so I find this to be an interesting view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also voted for Bumskee, it has the best atmosphere and i was hoping someone would do a river styx themed environment.

My runners up were:
    Frostsnake
    Hideyoshi
    SHadoman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumskee: Great atmosphere & nice non-standard take on the idea.

Chingwa: Wish it had been a little more realized.

Shadoman: Brilliant, love the concept and the depth.

Hazamataz: Cool idea, very good drawing, would've preferred some more color.

Hideyoshi: Love the colors and the composition, wish it was less sketchily rendered.

Frostsnake: Nice idea, like the color and atmosphere a lot, composition isn't working for me.

Conundrum: Like the color, can't decide whether I like the symmetry. Would probably like it more if the image was more complex.

Romance: Very pretty colors, like the composition too. This picture may be telling the best story here.

Auden100: Love the perspective and the writing. Good composition & creatures. Rendering sketchier than I would like, and I don't know about the color choice.

Chuck,mate: Simple, but very hellish.

My vote's for Shadoman, really blew me away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay... okay I got.

Bumskee, Romance, and Chuck,Mate are not humans. They are robots. Because it can not be possible to kick so much ass in EOW and CHOW at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    Okay... okay I got.

Bumskee, Romance, and Chuck,Mate are not humans. They are robots. Because it can not be possible to kick so much ass in EOW and CHOW at the same time.

i. no. robot. i. just. work. ass. off.
    malfunction! malfunction!

that`s the nicest thing anyone has said about me here.
    (relatively speaking..)
    so thank you ParkerD.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck,mate.
    i. no. robot. i. just. work. ass. off.
    malfunction! malfunction!

that`s the nicest thing anyone has said about me here.
    (relatively speaking..)
    so thank you ParkerD.
    no problem man, you deserve it. Your art is top-notch.

btw... if you believe you were the best, vote your concsious!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for romance... thanks for makin somehting origional out of a very clishe'd subject. very hard to do. I really liked bumskee's too... nice work... but anywhere that has trees....cant be THAT bad. I love treees. Good vision of the underworld though.

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for auden, a very moody colourscheme, quite unexpected for a traditional take on hell, you can really feel the solid stonewall, a good perspespective choice, and the gargoyal statues rock. I would just like to see something like this on a bigger scale

chuck,mate - nice sihloutte, remind me of hellboy mike mignolia, how about some more in the distance?

Romance - I can just here the old western music starting :p

Conundrum - I didn't notice the small figures walking in at first, but it was a whole lot cooler when I did. The composition is interesting, reminds me of an article I was reading on cgtalk about the symbollic composition, It would really lend itself to this subject matter as well.

Frostsnake- Sci-Fi Hell, i like it reminds me of blade runner, just a liiiitle more detail into the background would really set the imagination off.

Hideyoshi - Very dramatic, nice dynamic camera angle, the figures walking up to the place wernt immediatly clear, perhaps some lighting from behind their backs would help this?

Shadoman- Yeoouch, harsh rocks, nice curves though as well , This would have been my second pick. Sme tormented souls, or terrifying demons would have been my only request. The various tunnels leading off are my favourite bit

Chingwa - Weather! and what weather. Really sets an enviroment to life. This one really drew me in. I just like to see in more detail.

Bumskee - woah, what atmosphere, so simple yet effective, Heh i can just see one of those birds pecking away at one of the bodies in the trees.

Keep it up everyone, nothing like some friendly festive competition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    btw... if you believe you were the best, vote your concsious!
    i could never vote for my own work.

A. - i`m here especially for the help. all the help i can get.
    B. - most of the time, there ARE alot of pieces better than mine.
    C. - if i DO think mine is the best piece presented - i just don`t vote at all, or vote the best concept or best execution.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    auden100: voting on your own entry is not so nice y'know...
    thx for crits!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, Hideyoshi. I liked mine this time around. That doesn't always happen for me. If it's faux pas, then I won't do it again.

Chuck,mate - Tight drawing. I think that perhaps the density of objects in the background could be increased. But nice mood. Good color.

romance - nice colors. Comes off a little cartoony with the buildings' scale and perspective along with the soft palette. not so much a crit as a observation though. well done.

conundrum - interesting design. To a certain extent the horns read as giant earthworms. Might be a scale or texture issue if that's a concern. Can't figure out what the background is, though your picture seems to be more about mood then strict portrayal.

Frostsnake - cool idea. I like penal colonies. I agree with Hazamataz on the issue of detail. It would make for a really solid drawing.

Hideyoshi - The scribbly technique was a good choice for this one. It's still maybe a little too difficult to read, but a little polish would probably take care of that.

Hazamataz - really cool idea. Nice textures too. I agree that there could be a little more done with the color. The yellow doesn't seem to fit in so well. Maybe with more hue differentiation in the rest, or if the yellow were tweaked a bit.

Shadoman - Nice setting. Good drawing. I'm sorry I can't offer too much critique for your entry. well done.

Chingwa - I think your drawing could be improved if the furnace was a bit brighter, and the snow a bit darker. I think the furnace could be more menacing if its fiery light had a greater effect on its surroundings with less ambient lighting. I like the Vajra.

Bumskee - Nice image. Good color choice. Tiny crit: That edge across the top of the water is just a little too hard for me. Well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the votes everybody!

Auden100 - Thanks. Wasn't trying for a cartoony approach, but I guess thats what happens when that's all I know.

Hazamataz - And the sounds of spurs. Thanks

Sketchling - Glad you liked it, thank you. I would have liked to have seen your take on the topic.

ParkerD - Blip. Beep. Boop. Beep. Beep. Boop. (robot for "Thank you")

Max1975 - Thank you!

Bumskee - My entry isn't the afterlife destination. It's the trainstation where you buy the ticket. It's Hell in name, and that's as far as it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Romance. His is the best executed and the most finished of them all. I sweat just looking at it. Although Chuck and Bumskee you threw in some tight compitition! They would both been my number one picks had they a little more detail. Tight composition though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for conundrum. I thought that the scene's scale was massive and never ending, as you would think of Hell. Plus it just gives an eerie and dead feeling to it. Nice colors too.

Thanks all for the votes and comments.

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really wanted to vote romance for perfect execution, but bumskee's concept and mood done it for me. Sorry romance!

Members who have read this thread: 1