Art: 2-d Thunderdome project

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2-d Thunderdome project

This project was alot of fun and I learned many thing from it.
    Wasn´t eligible for the contest and never got an answer if I could post it over at the thread. So here it is I welcome lots of critics.

It´s my first time that I did an project like this. Also first time I tried to draw a monster so it felt more comfortable to do something that resemble a human body. Perhaps a little too much human like?

I was trying to create so she radiated temptation but still kept the monster resemblance. Also the scales, well I´m not really happy with them.
    They should have more of an slimy texture or something.

The project took around 3 weeks and some late nights I usually forget about time when I have this much fun.

I think Jason Manley did an great job with the event and I think that even if your not eligible for it. Try this out anyway.

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project
    It´s made in the future
    2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project

2-d Thunderdome project
    Colors became a little weird after I changed image settings Should be less purple.
    2-d Thunderdome project
    Colors are a little of...
    2-d Thunderdome project

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Out of all of it I enjoy your front color the most. But you need to realize, this is a concept site and this project in general was as much a focus on originality as it was on technqiue, I'd dare say even more so. This character is very ubiquitous in their build/sillhouete and really not much orginality is shown. Push yourself out of the box and try to see things from different angles, it makes the proccess infinitely more enjoyable since then you're surprising yourself half the time while piecing it together. For me, it's definitely the most alluring aspect of aspiring to be a conceptual artist, constatntly striving for that next light of idea.
    Still, my hat and soon to be balled had bow to you for at least completing the project, seeing as how that seems to be an accomplishment in it's own right.

ras

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I kind of painted myself into an corner. Seeing how I went with this human like structure.
    And to keep her looking female.

Also I think it had had something to do with my insecurity when it comes to drawing monsters

I thought there was some orginality in the idea behind her (the text in the two ink sketches).
    Although as you said the character doesnt look very original, she looks a little like an vampire.

What if I put more emphasis on the scales, her leaves on her back and my first idea with her.
    With her jaw not there, had a hard time drawing it to look like it was corroded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is that while a few things are sort of innovative, like scales that can hypnotize, in the end it's still very vampire'esque. This attempt was followed through with some thought, but like said, it's the actual overall concept that isn't too "super bad villain" more like a henchman/women. It really isn't that bad an attempt, work on your technique and your balance of the figure(upper torso too wide for lower region) and this could be a pretty good character study. You just need to push the envelope while maintaining the balance of consistency and in a way, believability. Like understanding anatomy and how it works before actually attempting to morph it.

Also, fuck your insecurity, that's the worst excuse to give yourself, if you're insecure about something then jump on it and work it to death, that's the only way you'll grow. Use that fear as fuel, not as a wall. Sorry, but need for bluntness is paramount in this case.

By the way, the lack of the mandible is sort of wonky, like when she is trying to communicate, I imagine her have a supper strong slurrr, but at the same time it is pretty freaky.

ras

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very dark, and i like the color choices you made for the back grounds and to set the atmospheres. But you really need to be more patient wit hthese. they look good, but just take a little more time and be more secure on yourself and what you can do. Polishing up these figures to make them either more destinct and less hap hazardly painted, or more dark and mnacing in design and light and effect, could provide a great deal of improvement to the atmosphere for the reader, hopefully generating a much more deep, dark and unwholesom appeal that, by looking at the character specs and what youve given us thus far, i think you are looking for.

-Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies

Also I think I phrased the insecurity thing a little wrong. I meant that considering what time I had for the project, I decided to bend the project a little so that I felt secure to finish it in time

I think I should have spent more time with the last picture. Time ran out and I used one day on it.

Do you think when I used different (somewhat) styles on them hurt the whole picture of it? And yeah I agree, the ortographs look a little weird.
    I have to draw legs more :/ It always seems to be left out when I draw something.

Again thanks for all the good advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.