My 'canyonmaker'

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My 'canyonmaker'

Hey all, this is my entry for the canyonmaker COW entry. I would love any critiques and criticisms that would help shape this into something better. I spent several hours on it, perhaps I should have spent some more. Thanks ahead of time guys.

My 'canyonmaker'

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your design here, monsters are always fun to create, but the white parts are too scribbly for me, if scribbly is even a word, i would push your shadow areas deeper to really pop your highlights, some of the background elements should be made more clear, im not sure what the brown areas are in the distance, and i like your clouds but i think they are taking up too much of the sky, good job so far, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun picture, but either there are some major perspective issues with the base of the monster and its shell, or there are not enough pointers as to how it lies in space. right now it looks like it is tipping our way, so that we are seeing it both from the top and from the front at the same time. I have a hard time explaining what I mean, but I hope it comes across. Maybe it will help you if you flip your image horizontally in photoshop or whatever app your are using, that helps seeing your perspective errors. I hope I helped somehow =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gl0gg - The shell I used as a reference (which I can't find again) had a SLIGHT curve, but I was noticing that it made it look like it was toppling over as well, probably an err on my shading.

mikeorion22 - Does deeper shadow mean a darker darkest part of the shadow? I also would agree that it needs popping as it looks flat. With the clouds taking too much sky does that mean more blue showing through or less sky in general?

Here is the original concept behind the work as well:
    The Natives refer to these creatures as ‘canyonmakers’ due to the large deep paths they create with their shells. Hundreds of spiny arms dig and claw to move the massive 150 ton shell. However, most of the land refers to these creatures as plains sweepers. When in the wild, these gigantic docile land crustaceans clean-up after the other smaller scavengers and rid the land of decaying debris or plant matters. However, a market was developed to pave roadways and trenches by taking advantage of their natural land deforming.
    Typically in these terraforming operations, the task force is quite economic (a spotter and a wagondriver) The wagon driver drags a fresh piece of carrion (either natural or man-made) behind his team and the trail of blood leads the plains sweeper along a desired course. Depending on the job, either man-made canal or road, the path may be traveled several times for the desired depth.

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by Moquan; December 17th, 2005 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am noticing an issue here regarding the way the "canyonmaker" and the cart interact with the background. Both of them look like they were drawn from one angle, and then pasted onto a background that was drawn from a different angle. When I look at the canyon maker itself, I feel like I am looking down on it, as if from a helicopter, but from such an angle I shouldn't be able to see the horizon behind it as I can in your picture.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.