Newborn! (sort of)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newborn! (sort of)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newborn! (sort of)

Hi, this is my very first post on this site. I'm trying to work more on textures, making clothing look like clothing, metal like metal, etc. In this case I tried to make thr egg white look as realistic as I could by putting tones of the egg shell into it that would be reflecting from it, but I know there is a lot I still don't know how to do to make my pieces look more realistic. Any comments are welcome.

Last edited by Zephrym; December 16th, 2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like your rendering of surfaces and materials is better (pretty good here) than your rendering of form. The eggshell feels especially flat. Also a shadow on the surface it's sitting upon could help the sense of form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they egg white have a little TOO much of the eggshell tones. I think also it might be good to add a little frothiness to the egg white, small bubbles and such. (That might be bad advice, I'll try to reference it after breakfast tomorrow.)

Also, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Is the egg in the process of falling out of the shell? Is the whole thing laying flat on a surface? If its in the process of falling, it seems to be coming out a little too perfectly, rather than slipping out as an egg yoke would. Also, it might seem nitpickey, but in terms of realism, wouldn't most people crack the egg across the middle rather then from the bottom?

Hope I somehow stumbled onto saying something that helps. Welcome to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback.

First of all, I have to apologize because with my subjective eyes, I thought the concept in this piece was obvious but now I can see how it could confuse people. Its supposed to be a POSSESSED egg, operating under its own power like its an amorphous living thing. The egg shell is the mouth. Basically it is to be viewed like the side-view of a creature.

Inspector Lee: I see what you mean about the egg shell looking flat. The shading looks mmore like the shell is round like a doughnut that like an egg. In this version I adjusted a few things, and tried to made the shading on the shell more dramatic, although I still don't know if its quite right.

Undefeated: Froth is a good idea and I will experiment with it. I also added a shadow at its base to hopefully help the eye figure out what its looking at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept, It's pretty cool, but it is really hard to read--

a. the white background
    b. lack of rendering to look 3d (the shading/highlights are all willy-nilly)

I didn't get it until I scrolled down, the darker version was much more clear on what you were trying to do.

You don't have a strong sense of light in this piece, I would try some light studies.

word

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can dig it. It does look like a living being now that you clarified that, though with the position of the shell, it actually looks like more of a hand than a mouth. (I.e., looks like yoke is the head, egg shell and that other egg-white tendril on the far right look like arms.) I think if you want the shell to be the mouth, you might want to lower that far-right side bit of egg to make it clearer. Theres also been some other good advice posted so far.

Cool concept, looking forward to seeing it develop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the deeper shading on the shell, however, to me, because there are two highlights on something that is known to be round (a highlight on the upper and lower shell halves), I get a sense that both halves of the shell are angled towards the viewer. With the light coming from the right, I don't believe that the highlight should be as intense or as present on the top half. I could be misinterpreting the direction of the light though, in which case, this post can be disregarded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Undefeated: I can see how the yolk can be viewed as the head. Looks kinda cool that way too However, I don't see how lowering the tendril will make it clearer that the eggshell is the head and not the yolk. The intention was for the yolk to be the belly. Wouldn't lowering the arm tendril make the yolk even more likely to be mistaken as the head as it will now be even or above the arm?

Moquan: My ignorance to how light behaves causes this whole splitting of the egg shell to really throw me for a loop. If it was an intact egg it would be clear where the highlight should be, but with it cracked like that I don't know what should happen. The light source is intended to be shining down from the upper right and hitting the object at an angle thats the same as the tilt of the egg shell. In that case, with it hitting the shell head-on like that, would it be correct to have a highlight on both the top and bottom halves of the shell? (the way I have it)

A lot of good advice overall, and I intend on working further on this piece when I have more time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.