ritual

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: ritual

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ritual

this is something I started working on last night.

ref used of course. kinda boris'ish influence. I think her buns are a little off kilter. I'll need to move this to PS and check with guides at some point.

was curious mostly about the color and composition... if this needed more of a background or if this stands ok on its own. and anything else anyone has to say...

edit : I've pretty much finished this.. I've tried out the 'glow' for the bottom light. Tried high and low saturation for blue, sea green and purple... not really sure if I am sold on it

here tis with a blue bottom light

ritual

and here tis without

ritual
    still happily accepting suggestions or crit.

Last edited by jubilee; December 19th, 2005 at 07:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking very sweet so far.

One thing to think about it that it is all warm right now. Were you to introduce some cool elements, it would make the rest of it even warmer. For instance, you always hear "cold as Hell"; why not make Hell cold and all the inhabitants would be even hotter (which this one already is, rawr!).

I actually like that the keester is just a little bit to one side and the spine follows to it. It makes it look far more natural than the "straight as an arrow" pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NIce piece already. I like the feel to it,. the blood on her feet is a very nice detail.
    As for the tale i dont get the feeling its one with her body yet.
    And work on her left arm. I know its not finished yet but dont make her arm to long.
    For the background i had in mind a sort of a flaming background, but not to strong. And for the floor, i like it like this (red) but make it more of a floor with blood spilled over it.

I cant wait untill this piece is finished

Cheers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would include a few more straight edges defining her rear, right now it's just a little too round for me. Also, right-hand wrist appears a little thick.

I like the brush strokes and flesh tones so far.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - dogfood : glad you like! I'm not sure I follow on the 'cold'. You mean change the backdrop to a more frosty environment? or add more cool color tones?
    -rWDrk : Thank you for takin a peek here! I worked the tail some more. Hopefully it looks more a part of her. I thought perhaps a lot of yellow in the background might detract a bit so I've compromised a bit and added some high climbing volcano type things.
    -emily g : I've reworked the bum some. Though looking at it posted now I think I've got to work her left cheek a bit more. thanks for taking the time to look it over.

aside from that I added a bit more.. well a lot more head room. defined the emblem on the floor, though I think it needs to be toned down some. Its funny how you can stare at a pic all evening and not see something until its posted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is coming out great, Jubes. I'm fascinated by her right hand and those bloody feet. I also that maybe sneaking some cool tones, maybe into her hair or her body would have a nice effect. Speaking for myself, I dont think the emblem pops too much, but I guess I'll keep an eye on that as it develops. I think the coolness of the feet is a good counterbalance.

Her left arm though, at the moment seems a little too straight. You're making the thick wrists work nicely though, but I think that arm is a little distracting in its straightness.

Keep it coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just cooler color tones in order to make the warmth even more intense. You can even just use cooler reds; no need to go full on blue with blowing snow and all.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Just cooler color tones in order to make the warmth even more intense. You can even just use cooler reds; no need to go full on blue with blowing snow and all.

Cheers!

that, I think, I can do. I've been expirimenting with Painter's paint mixer for this pic. I'll see what can come up with.

I have a semi-finished piece posted. I tend to like to mat my work... some people might find it annoying. I tried hosting with my own site again. If the image doesnt show I'll just kick it back onto imageshack again

I have someone e-mailing me more references for the left arm. Still leaving that open for changes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Red is a funky color in that it cools a warm and warms a cool. Love how you did her back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want the average person to see the head in the sky above hers, the contrast between it and the sky will have to be brought out just a little bit more.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her tail is attaching a little high on her back. Remember that a tail is an extension of the spine. Humans have a vestigial tailbone (the coccyx), and if a person where to have a tail it would be an extension of that, growing from just below the base of the pelvis.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking this a lot this far! Im getting curious about what's going on on the other side. I'm guessing self mutilation or sacrifice of a cute animal.

About introducing some cold elements, how about having the runes/pentagram/whateveritis on the floor glow with a subtle blue? this would open up for some exiting bottom light. (no pun intended.)
    (okay, pun intended...)

Her left hand looks a little bit smaller than her right, and it looks like all the fingers on that hand have the same length down to the first knuckle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Bioanger : I made the skull/monster/demon thingie more apparent. Hopefully not too much so. I dont want it to be the first thing people notice.
    - Elwell : thank you for pointing that out. Was clear as day once you mentioned it. I've hopefully fixed the problem.
    - Slash : LOL! Good pun and great idea. I love a good lighting challenge. I started working on a blue/purple glow this evening and had it nearly done but PainterIX just *poof* CRASHED on me so when I am not ready to put my fist through the monitor I will try again.

I sketched in the new left hand today too. If it passes, I'll refine it. If not I'll chuck it and try again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see the picture for some reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just wanna say great work !.. looks really nice.. love the perspective on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally am not really fond of seeing much of Painters digital brush strokes, especially those created by blenders. The ones from say oil's and what not are pretty nice though.

I think if you smooth out some of the hard edges and create some larger shapes you can emphasize some key parts a little more.

Did a little tiny paint over to kind of show what I mean:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/c1544214.jpg

Oh and looking really great by the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking very sweet. I think the first one's blue is a little too strong. If it were just a slight glow, as if coming from deep withing the black bits, it wouldn't overpower the piece so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with dogfood. The blues are too strong. Try toning them down a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dogfood & slash : I fully agree the blue is very overpowering as was the purple and the seagreen at high saturations.. . but I couldnt find the line where it was subtle without being muddy when I toned it down. No worries. I'll keep at it. I just am running out of time for holiday junk at the moment. *cry*
    Idiot : thanks for the paintover! though I think I am going to stick with just the raw brushstrokes for this one.
    Razor : thank you much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from all of the things already mentioned, I think she's missing a crucial piece of female anatomy, probably the most definative one

I assume I need not mention what that it is, but I don't want confusion so: she doesn't appear to have a vagina.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it bothers me that one buttock is bigger than the other - it doesn't seem like she's symmetrical. The left butt cheek is definitely bigger. I think too, I'm not feeling her back arching away from me and I think that's what you're wanting, yes? I think you need to give more of a sense of the overlap of the form - the form of her rear should be overlapping her back some. You could do that tonally of course but right now, it's verging on just looking like her torso's too short rather than that her back's arching. Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.