Art: Oh noes! college portfolio.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Oh noes! college portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Oh noes! college portfolio.

Yay for first topic/ post! I love CA, anyway I have been a lurker here for some time now. Mainly studying other people style and mentally getting my butt kicked. I'm so not worthy of being here.

I'm a high school senior and I'm thinking about applying to SCAD. I’m thinking about majoring the Sequential arts. I’m skeptical about my portfolio if it’s strong enough to get accepted to get into college. Just like this. Should I go to an art community college and refine and perfect my skill before going…?

I’M CONFUSED AT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING.

(My bf said something close to… “Shut up and apply already.” )

So what do you think? Do you think I can handle SCAD first years? Should I include more other pieces from different materials? O_o;; Should I get rid of the borders ?

And C&C please.

Edited: YAR. Some of my pictures weren't working.... >=[ Moved images another hosting place

Last edited by SillyLing; December 17th, 2005 at 07:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definately add some more life drawing (figurative) if you have some - if not go and see if there are any night classes to get a few done. A lot of colleges and UNI's look for life drawing as a key skill.

If you cant get to a class, then just draw from a magazine, photos, the internet - stock is all around us!!

About your choices, sometimes its a good thing if you arent sure about your work, to spend time working on it. This is what i'm doing at the moment at home, and i gave up a lot to be doing it, but i'm finding it very worthwhile. But this really deepends on the person. You may benefit more from being thrown into the harder stuff, i just dont know. But if you feel you need more practive, there is no harm in spending more time working on your skills! especially in this industry!

hope i helped a little!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! ^_^

Guess I'll be drawing people for the next month or so. -.-;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally think the borders detract from the images. They're too cookie-cutterish but at the same time, they're too obviously styled with the sharp corners and round corners and just putting them on all of them, well, I'd just present the images in a straightforward way and not draw so much attention to the edges.

Everyone needs more practice and time to develop their skills but I think you look ready enough! You certainly are doing as well as I or any other first year college art student did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there. I think I'm a pretty good person to address your subject. I'm a senior at SCAD as it happens. Majoring in Illustration with a Drawing minor. What you have here looks about on par with most first year students drawing work at SCAD. Granted there are people that come in with a real solid grounding in drawing to begin with but there are also people that come in with little to no drawing experience at all (we call them film majors). Everyone starts at the same place class-wise (unless you get portfolio excemptions) and your first quarter will most likely be Drawing I, 2D Design, and a lecture of some kind, probably art history or English composition. Also keep in mind that I dont believe portfolios are required at all for admission (though this may change in the next few years). I did not submit a portfolio when I applied but it has gotten stricter since then so dont quote me on that. I think that portfolios are mainly used right now to determine scholarships and that kind of thing. As I said though, what you have here is more than good enough to submit. Add a few more pieces (10-12 is a good rule of thumb) and life drawings are good to see. Also what you can do is come to a "SCAD Day" which are our campus open house days. There you can get a portfolio review from actual professors rather than a student on the internet. SCAD Days are also a good opportunity to see everything the college has to offer. Its a good place and I've had some great experiences here. Good luck with the college hunt.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a Seqa major at SCAD, so if you have any questions about the department feel free to ask. There's already a good amount of info on the school in this thread.

I completely agree with Tom. You desperately need figure studies in here. Try this site if you can't go to life drawing classes in your area. If you're putting "Sequential Art" down as your major, you want to show how you handle characters. If you want to include a personal piece or two that relates to your major (some comic pages, storyboards or concept art)--do so. It shows a drive to work in that field (but don't make it the forcus of your portfolio).

You can apply whenever you like, but my advice to EVERYONE is to go to a local university or community college first. SCAD costs outrageous amounts of money and there's no reason you should pay $3000 a class to take math, science, english and basic drawing. Go to a state school where it costs $200. I took two years at a univ and transfered all of my credits. The extra two years before SCAD also helped me beef up my portfolio. I got a $40K scholarship for it.

G'Luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad stuff for your age and education....the one of the house has some really nice value arrangements....I have no idea wether or not this will work for scad....I have never attended...but i think you have a lot of potential in your art. You just need to slow down a bit. really focus on achieving your goals. don't ever settle for good enough in your art. if it's not right or seems funny to you chances are it'll seem funny to your audience. I would say to study some of the old master paintings if possible...or just any artist that you like really (I prefer the masters)...and not in books....I mean go to a gallery and get as close as you can to the paintings without getting tackled by the security guards. I think with a little knowledge and application of paint properties you'll be kicking ass in no time. try to remember that every time you make a mark on a piece it should describe that thing that you are painting or drawing...what i mean is for example....in the house piece....you have a white fence down near the bottom....every one of those post in there should be painted carefully as to describe it. Ok...the fence is white...is it painted white...is it sun bleached yellow that faded over time. is it a fence that was built 75 years ago...if so is there any discoloration, decay of wood, broken slats, any dirt on it from not being cleaned....all the little details that can be captured about a subject help your paintings move from generic to your own personal. you wouldn't just be painting a generic fence anymore...instead you'ld be painting a specific fence...this fence, that looks like this and from that fence you can gather that...(it was built 75 years ago, it has been abused, it's brand new, whatever....) hope that makes some sense. ROCK ON!!!!!!

My God has a bigger dick than your God.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah! Lots of comments!

I guess I should I tell a bit about me… I have been studying under a retired college professor on weekends or so at her house for the three years. This is my first year taking art in high school ( I need… recommendations.) Most of time I have been self studying. Seriously, this year I really seriously thought about going to an art school.

Scad wasn't really my first choice. I wanted to be photographer. I just had these art works and sorta compiled them together. =/ But I loved drawing then taking picture. =x

I have some photography pieces that I’m going to add to the portfolio.

BMunchausen : I see with what you’re saying. Anyways I have to work on my pictures again. I resized them too small to fit the requirements. AH! I’m working on that over that on winter break!

Jedmo Hehe. Thanks! I was wondering if is taking on the minor is a good idea? =/ I might be thinking about taking on Illustration minor…

The SCAD days… I don’t think I can come the problem is the distance. It’s a day drive to down there. =/

Mirana : I agree with you and a few people… I need some figure drawings. Yes, I need some personal piece! I guess I’m going back to finalize it. The problem is… my figurative drawing is weak compared to the rest. =x
    I’ll find a sample of my sketch book page…

(feel free to C&C... I did this yesterday. x_X

Thundercock: Thanks for the advice. xP more details in my paintings!

Last edited by SillyLing; December 16th, 2005 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youll get into scad for sure. They accept everyone with or without a portfolio.
    You should go to a community college before hand and get your college maths english art histories out of the way, hell along with any drawing classes, the teachers arent that great.
    Scad is a art school with good connections and classes are easy.
    However if your really serious about art and learning and dont have a free ride, Id avoid the school all together.
    It has a great library though Ill give it that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krunner: What about the teachers? Explain? ^^;;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

image hosting

may want to try
    www.photobucket.com
    image storage

Darrell Bowman
    Freelance render

Blog This!

Draw Draw Draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krunner, you sound like you had a bad experience with the school. That sucks for you and I'm sorry but to say that if shes serious about art she should avoid the school altogether is BS. I've known a bunch of people who are "serious about art" (including myself) who have had a great education here. Furthermore, compare the cost of SCAD to any art school in the country. Its comparable, even cheaper than a few. Granted, there are some crappy teachers but they are easy enough to avoid for the most part. I've heard great things about the sequential teachers in particular. In regards to it being easy I could go both ways on it. It is, in fact, easy to just skate through and get your degree, I wont deny that. But as with most schools, you get out what you put in. What, exactly, happened to you at SCAD to make you so negative?

Sorry for getting off topic, this could easily turn into a pro-SCAD anti-SCAD flamewar and I dont want to hijack your thread. To answer your question, taking on a minor could be a good or bad idea. It really depends on your situation. The drawing minor works great with illustration (and probably sequential as well) so that I can use my electives and still graduate in 4 years. Sometimes though, you end up having to take extra classes to get a minor so be careful about it. You cant declare until the end of your first year anyway so you'll have time to figure it out. Also, I would make sure that your classes will transfer the way you want them to before you take them at a state school or community college. I've known some people that end up either a) not getting the credits transferred at all so they've wasted their time and money or b) getting them transferred as something different from what they wanted them to be (as a free elective instead of a english elective for example). Also keep in mind that if you do that and get rid of your liberal arts stuff before coming to SCAD you'll be taking 3 studios a quarter which, depending on the classes, can be a bit rough. Not saying its a bad idea to save money and go the community college route, just giving you all the things to think about before you do it. My perspective on the illustration department... just okay, not great. You may not get what you want out of it as a minor with Sequential. I'd suggest drawing or painting instead. The illustration department here is all concept based and mostly geared towards editorial work (as this is what most of the professors do themselves) so, I feel, you dont get the broadest possible spectrum of applications when it comes to illustration. Also, I feel like there is a lot of "personal style" focus stressed in the department and not enough technicality. So what ends up happening is that people that really arent that good but have a set "style" end up doing well in the classes. Kind of annoying. I'm sure the same thing might be encountered in sequential but there seems to be a strong focus on draftsmanship at the very least in that department. I could be wrong though as its not my area. Sorry for the length of the post. Hope this information helps.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend doing a minor only if you think it helps you expand your art. My fiancee majored in Seqa Art with a minor in Drawing...and his minor isn't even listed on his degree.

If your figure drawing is weak, then it's obvious that you need to work on it! Seqa Art concentrates on figure drawing...practice needs to start ASAP!

Only worry about the portfolio if you're going to use it as a scholarship. It's not a factor in acceptance to SCAD (grades and SAT scores are).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.