wanting: update at bottom

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

wanting: update at bottom

the ribbon arms never made it out of my head...I swear this started out as something else...but this is what I wound up with...

C&C much appreciated

-D

Last edited by Texahol; December 31st, 2005 at 05:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey i really like the feel to this piece, and the hand is nicely handled, i would add in some shadows and highlights to give some depth and try some texture on the sand and the beach, but real good job you have something good to work with

Thanks
    neat idea and the hand is real nice. i really like the form of the ribbon on the right side of the picture too.

i think u need alot of light/shadow to push this peice to where it needs to be tho.
    try making the drawing grayscale and look at it, i think u will find that the contrast between light/dark is too low

Thanks
    hrmm
    thanks for the crits

does anyone has tips on texturing in painter. I'm just getting familiar with the program, and when I try to get textures (ie, the water and sand), they usually end up just looking pixelated....

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I cant help you with painter, but i'd recommend working some more on the sand and the water. Some stronger values wouldnt hurt either, right now your piece looks a little flat.

Thanks
    you could try the paper/chalk combination in painter to get the sand texture, (it would take a little playing with, also you'll likely have to make your own paper for it) but I think airbrush would likely work best on the water.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    looking good so far. I guess the only glaring thing to me at this point would be the previously mentioned sand. Sand is pretty damn tricky to begin with which is why it needs to be approached carefully. Try to think about its form before you try to hint at any sort of texture. Look at some good reference material from beaches. First, you notice that it's usually very pale or at least cooler when compared to the tanish-peach color that people usually try to use. Secondly, you have to think about where you are. Is the sand flat and clumpy from being wet or is very dry and wind-swept. Or is it somewhere between the two? Like beach sand that has all kinds of debris and evidence of constant foot traffic? These are the things to consider when choosing a reference. You don't ever really find generic sand and it's one of those things when if you try to create it from no realistic point of reference, it can stick out like a sore thumb.

Secondly, always think about form before texture. Look at how it interacts with light and shadow so you're not just painting it with a generic default color and shading it with a darker version of that. When the time comes to hint at some sort of texture, do just that. Hint. Emphasizing each grain with an airbrush effect will look unrealistic and screw with the image's focus. Instead, be a bit softer with your brush work and emphasize it in clumps. This way you suggest that it's sort of fluid in it's behavior yet it's also course.

Hope that helps. Great work so far. Keep pushing it.

http://www.tropicalisland.de/TUN%20G...nd-dunes_b.jpg

Thanks
    bloopity-bloo!

Closer to being done... I think my efforts are getting better with the digital stuffs.

thanks!

Last edited by Texahol; January 10th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.