Sketchbook: Ghost in the shell: Motoko Kusanagi (sketch version)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ghost in the shell: Motoko Kusanagi (sketch version)

Haven't put this on DA yet cause my reason is on my other galleries I prefer upload the sketch version as soon as the finished version is done.

For thoose that have seen the adult anime film will understand Motoko's looks and her cyber skeleton n muscle.

The picture shows four versions of motoko's looks Cyberskeleton, Muscle, armoured shell and human skin.

I'm a big fan of this anime film also I can't wait to buy the Sequals to I've got the stand alone complex game for the ps2 n beaten it months ago its a quite good game its kinda like Oni but alot better.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a coincidence, I just finished watching Stand Alone Complex, vol. 5 not five minutes ago, so it's fitting that I leave a comment or two. It could be just me, but it seems that her neck and arm that is facing us are too thick. Here, she looks a bit manly and in the movies and series she's slim and sexy. I like how you portray her different looks, though. So, what else have you got?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    although you've spent a lot of time rendering this image it does not make up for the lack of foundational studies. your anatomy is not proportional and should have been fixed at the sketch stage before moving onto finished rendering and lighting.
    here is a quick paint over, i did my best to work w/ your head as the basic measurement unit and then build the rest off of that from ideal proportions (such as demonstrated by loomis, hogarth, bridgman, etc.)
    i hope this helps.
    -apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madplanet
    What a coincidence, I just finished watching Stand Alone Complex, vol. 5 not five minutes ago, so it's fitting that I leave a comment or two. It could be just me, but it seems that her neck and arm that is facing us are too thick. Here, she looks a bit manly and in the movies and series she's slim and sexy. I like how you portray her different looks, though. So, what else have you got?
    Thank you for your honest comment she kinda does look a manly I think its her eyes that do that but don't forget she is a android n they have thier eyes opened up like that.

Is the stand alone complex series any good??

I know why you think the neck looks bigger its cause of special like glasses that she has on her head on the first film it had that tranparent material on it, I don't know scientificaly why but it does look good with her any way.

I think I should have but more crack details on the right side of her face which is her cyber armoured shell.

thanks for the comment!

Oh yeah I did do another Motoko Kusanagi picture but I really screwed that one up n I didn't like that one at all I can give you the link if you want but it ain't that good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloNuevo
    although you've spent a lot of time rendering this image it does not make up for the lack of foundational studies. your anatomy is not proportional and should have been fixed at the sketch stage before moving onto finished rendering and lighting.
    here is a quick paint over, i did my best to work w/ your head as the basic measurement unit and then build the rest off of that from ideal proportions (such as demonstrated by loomis, hogarth, bridgman, etc.)
    i hope this helps.
    -apollo
    Thanks!!

that was very quick to but I have to say that on my picture half of her right arm has been taken off also she looks like she is sitting, the other arm and the rest is good, thank you very much. also I think she is to thin.

before I finished it I was gonna add some other things but I would have made it even worse if I gave her a gun while I was half finished with it.

Last edited by Krystallwolvelt; December 10th, 2005 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My goodness... Krystall accepting advice...

This is a lot better than your other pieces here, I feel. You've attempted something quite difficult, and come close to pulling it off. The paintover that Apollo did addressed the basic anatomy issues, so I don't need to say anything about that.

I'm more looking at your shading and form. The shadows you've lain down aren't always consistent - for example, both the left and right edges of each breast are in shadow... but the edge of the right arm is not shaded at all. The pipes/tubing extending from her head are also completely flat-shaded. i think you need to define a lightsource (I even draw in a great big arrow when I shade, so I don't forget) and be mindful of that as you lay down areas od shadow. Not just shadow created by the lightsource, but also pieces of the character casting other sections into darkness.

Keep working on this, it has potential.

My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzkin
    My goodness... Krystall accepting advice...

This is a lot better than your other pieces here, I feel. You've attempted something quite difficult, and come close to pulling it off. The paintover that Apollo did addressed the basic anatomy issues, so I don't need to say anything about that.

I'm more looking at your shading and form. The shadows you've lain down aren't always consistent - for example, both the left and right edges of each breast are in shadow... but the edge of the right arm is not shaded at all. The pipes/tubing extending from her head are also completely flat-shaded. i think you need to define a lightsource (I even draw in a great big arrow when I shade, so I don't forget) and be mindful of that as you lay down areas od shadow. Not just shadow created by the lightsource, but also pieces of the character casting other sections into darkness.

Keep working on this, it has potential.
    lol

your right about my shading.

I'm going to admit this to everyone that the only thing I rush to much is mostly the shading, I'm trying my best with the coloured version, I haven't finished it yet but I'm still trying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna just come right out with this, because I don't think you've quite gotten it:

Coloring will not save this image.

It's like putting a fresh coat of paint on a dilapidated old barn, with a sunken foundation. Apollo's advice was golden. I think that too many people get stuck on sitting down and creating an image, without any kind of planning stage. And by planning, I mean actually sketching out pose, angles, composition, etc, before you touch pencil to paper on what will become the finished version.

I would advise you in fact to stay away from images like this, in which you've "overcooked" the rendering, and added onto what wasn't a strong anatomical foundation to begin with. I don't doubt that you spent a lot of time on it, and in that regard, I'm sure you don't want to just throw it away, but the damage is unfortunately already done.

I'd advise you no longer reference anime in your continuing education. Instead try to draw from life as much as possible, and failing that, draw from photographs. Also, you might not want to spend a lot of time on images like this, instead trying to go with some quicker drawings. I think you'll find yourself for the next several years in a constant state of artistic improvement. Something you did one day will look amateurish the next day.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck on your next images.

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow

I am surprised on finding one of your forums that is still open. They are usually locked down by the time I get to them.

If you are still frequenting this, then here is a crit that I don't think has been addressed by your other crits (although I have not read through all of the bickering, so I am not sure).

Here we go.
    You have gotten many good crits about needing to develop a better understanding. That is a good thing that most of us (even some professionals) need to do.

You have gotten many good crits about your use of light and shadows. I would recommend looking into understanding core shaddows because that will give your piece more depth.

You have not gotten (to the best of my knowledge) crits on your composition. I have seen a few of your pieces, and in all of them the main character is pretty much smack dab in the middle (or just off center) and right up in the camera. In some pieces like this one, that can be nice and effective, but in others you need to rethink. You had a piece about some cat person fighting demons, but you coudn't really make out the demons. I would not have thought that if it hadn't been in the title. Please research composition.

One final thing. One thing that I have come to learn here on CA is that for the most part people here will comment on what they see in a way to help you grow as an artist and a person. I think you should believe them. They say that you need to look at the human body and try to understand how it is put together. You need to understand anatomy to make your pieces more believable. They say you are a prick and need to learn to take criticism. That is because you are acting like a prick and keep turning down advice that could really help you grow in your art.

My final advece...

Stop acting like a prick...
    Stop ignoring critiques...
    Research anatomy (look at naked people)...
    Research composition...
    Draw more...

I am sure that many of the people who are telling you these things would be thrilled to see you put out some quality art.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.