Tattoos

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tattoos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tattoos

Aloa guys n gals

Is anyone tattooed in here ? what are your experiences with getting tattooed or making one ? Are there Tattoo-Artists in here ? Do you have any tips for the after-care (after all the skin is heavily perforated)

I just got through my first session (as a customer) and in a couple of weeks i will have my second to complete my Tattoo (right arm from Delta to ellbow). I dont have Fotos yet but I will up some pretty soon. (you are welcomed to post fotos of your tattoos of course )

So the first impression was...wtf...that doesnt hurt as much as everyone always saying...the second (when the Tattoo-artist pulled out that nasty 7 needle thing for filling jobs) was...YES that hurts...sheeeesh....but it was worth the pain (and the money...omg that was expensive and will be expensive the next session).

greetings
    Corky

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep lots of moisturizing lotion on it so it doesn't scab up. But if it does, which it shouldn't, don't pick at it. That's about it. Oh, and also it's good to keep it covered with saran wrap for the first 24 hours, as that helps prevent scabbing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    make sure the lotion you use isn't something like Neosporin that is designed to help you heal up, because it may damage the tattoo. After all, you want to have a scar, so to speak. Also, in the future you want to keep it from getting too much sun because it'll fade. If you must take it to the beach, be sure to put plenty of sun block on it.

but your tattoo artist should tell you these things

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx guys different Artist different tips so i was tempted to ask

I use "Bephanthen" which is a very fat ointment. The Artist said its really good and he has no negative experiences with it.

So question again = anyone in here tattooed or involved with tattoos ?

"Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, yeah ive got my first tattoo a month ago or so, between the crotch and the navel. prolly get more when i have the money.
    good thing ive gotten past the worst part, my artist said any other place should be like a walk in the park =). this one hurt pretty much hehe

for tips, ive heard, never trust the 'street' word about tattoos, like treating it with different kinda shit and so on. always ask someone who really knows.
    ive got a pic if u wanna see, tho its nothing fascinating,

Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll show, but they're pretty jailhouse:

Tattoos Tattoos

copies I drew of Tom Sullivan drawings from the book in Evil Dead. Done by a friend about a year before he became a professional, when I was 19 I think. I found out maybe a year ago that, despite what he told me at the time, I was the third person he's ever actually tattooed (the two others being my girlfriend at the time and my brother, both of whom got theirs before me that same night). 5am, in my filthy kitched, listening to Danzig, for $40 and a Monte Cristo sandwich. That's how to get fuckin tattooed.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm heavily tattooed... leg sleeve, one arm sleeved, half-sleeve on the other... stuff on my chest...

when I get tattooed, I use neosporin or vitamin a&d ointment (contrary to dave's suggestion...it works really well. you DON'T want your skin to become scarred or raised.) and wrap it w/ saran wrap and a buncha ointment for the first three nights and let it air during the day, this keeps it from becoming hard w/ scabs... once it starts peeling I use curel lotion (or anything w/o perfumes/dyes)... but only after it starts peeling. mine usually heal in about a week or so. all the ones I have are pretty bright, and this method heals em quick and without too many problems. also, once it heals, I religiously use 30-45 spf sunblock on it whenever i'm out in the sun. the sun kills tattoos.

Last edited by cotron; December 10th, 2005 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah, my half-sleeve... gotta get more pictures of my newer stuff...

Tattoos

edit- and my leg...
    Tattoos Tattoos

some of the other arm-
    Tattoos

haha- dave, me too- my leg was colored on my friend's kitchen table one session, before he got his studio set up...

Last edited by cotron; December 10th, 2005 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm constanly amazed at how vibrant the colors of a properly done tattoo can be

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man.. awesome cotron.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cody knows how much i would sex him cause of those tats...HOOOMMMMOOOO....haha....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im up to about 10 so far
    this is the only pic i have of my ink tho

(posted this before...but oh well )

Tattoos

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wash with antibacterial soap twice a day. dont stay in the shower to long while doing this. pat dry with a soft cloth. put about a tear drop size thing of a and d ointment on the tattoo. after its healed switch to a hand lotion. AND DO NOT PUT HAND LOTION ON IT FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS! and remember tear drop size amount of a and d ointment. DO NOT WRAP YOUR TATTOO!!!! WITH SARAN WRAP!!! the only time this is done is if it absolute neccasary. the reason this is done to prevent cltothing from sticking to your skin (or bed sheets) and ripping your tattoo off(happened to a artist that i work with at the shop) and unless its something on your chest or back you will be fine. you want to make sure that the tattoo gets plenty of air. more air equals faster healing time and less complications. DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN OINTMENT!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN OINTMENT!!!
    word up

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You all need manlier tattoos.. like myself.

Tattoos

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i rock my own socks off.
    Tattoos

solo de errores se aprende
    y hoy se que es tuyo mi corazon
    mejor te guardas todo eso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get the whole "don't use neosporin" deal... if the ink's in, it's in... people say that stuff w/ petroleum will pull out the ink... but I think that can be attributed to bad tattooing too. I know the neo's worked for me and other people I know, without problem. Actually, all my tattoos healed best with it compared to when I didn't use it. shit's fast, new layer of skin's there in 3-4 days max.

also, I wrap mine up at night for the first couple days w/ ointment so that it soaks into the skin and the whole thing is soft, it never gets a chance to becom a hard scab, which is when you'll get cracks and spotty coverage. during the day it's not wrapped at all... no problems for me whatsoever.

Blue, I'm curious as to how the hell are you gonna not use lotion for 2 weeks?? have you been tattooed extensively? It doesn't seem right... that shit would be insanely itchy and probably hurt the healing process. I use lotion once it starts peeling, keeps it soft and heals better without so much itch.

but hey, that's my 2 cents, everyone's got their way of taking care of their stuff. I know what's worked for me. A well done tattoo should heal up well almost regardless of what you do to it... probably slather motor oil on it it'd be fine... everyone gets real huffed about how to take care of it, and I've heard hundreds of ways that are "the only way." It's just important to keep it clean and out of the sun, there are lots of ways of going about that.

Last edited by cotron; December 11th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well.. heres mine
    hopefully i can get some more.. tho lack of money =(

Tattoos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is.........terrifying. however, sour's tattoo rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dave & Cotron -- Been there, done that.

Cool story if anyone's interested in the read:

The year after I graduated HS, I went to Berlin on foreign exchange. The day I flew over also happened to be my 18th birthday and for the occasion my host parents got me an illustrated guidebook of Berlin in English.

The first month I was there was almost surreal. I didn't feel like I was halfway across the world until one day I when I decided to take a trip into the inner city. The sun was setting, I had been walking all day and decided to stop at the Konzerthaus in Gendarmenmarkt to rest. Flanking the top of the steps were two female lions with cherubs on their backs. I took a seat next to one of the statues and started flipping through my guidebook, and almost of it's own accord it opened to a picture overlooking the exact spot where I was sitting. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks just where I was and how long I was going to be there.

On to the tattoo...

To symbolize my year over there I decided to get a tattoo of a stylized tribal lion's head on my left shoulderblade. My best friend happened to know a guy that "did" tattoos out of his house. I looked at photos of previous work that he had done for people (including his mother) and was convinced of his skill.

Long story short, the first three or four times we went over there he had forgotten about our appointment and was either too drunk or stoned out of his gourd for me to let him do anything. When the day finally came I ended up getting tattooed on his couch in the middle of a party (+/- 15 people walking around with me laying there topless on the couch). The gun itself was assembled from a single needle connected to a few wires, a plastic pen tube, and a dismantled PS1 controller for the motor.

Was it a smart thing to do? Fuck no, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to get tattooed under those conditions. Would I do it again under the same circumstances (time/place)? Absolutely. I don't regret a bit of it. For me, that was all part of the experience.

That is my experience with being tattooed. As far as aftercare is concerned, you can see there are MANY different trains of thought. I simply bought some generic fragrance/color-free handlotion and made sure to keep it properly moisturized. Should it scab, DO NOT PICK AT IT. This will result in uneven color and possible infection. I know it itches, but just leave the damned thing alone.

I'd love to post a picture, but I don't have a digicam OR a scanner. Perhaps I can find someone who does...

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    corton im a tattoo artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by broken lizard
    that is.........terrifying. however, sour's tattoo rules.
    there's a tattoo in that pic?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    corton im a tattoo artist
    I thought you said you just got your job...or are you an apprentice? I know you're "in the industry", but I'm curious if you've tried this healing method yourself...especially for a larger piece. It would be a baaaad thing for me to wait 2 weeks before using lotion. That's a lot of damaged and fresh skin that would be aching for some moisture. That shit would suck!

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but the healing method you explained didn't seem like it would be very comfortable to deal with... or that it would help the tattoo at all. I know more than a few tattoo artists with less tattoos than me... and they don't know the process of healing tattoos as well as someone with extensive work does. And there are also people who have been tattooing for years who don't know shit about what they're doing anyway, so working in a shop doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're talking about. There's a TON of misinformation in this subculture- urban myths and just unhealthy practice.

All I'm saying is that there's lots of methods to heal a tattoo and doing what works best for the individual is important. I have a friend who's got a bodysuit and never uses any ointment of any kind, but his tattoos take 4-5 weeks to fully heal and places like the inside of his elbows had to be touched up a bunch because there wasn't anyway to make it flexible without the ointment.

I've spent more than 5 years in shops and being friends with tattoo artists, plus almost 100 hours of being tattooed myself, and I've had chances where I could start tattooing, but I've chosen not to... so I do have an understanding of what I'm talking about. My method works for me and I shared it, so take from it what you will. I think my tattoos heal and look better than average, so I'm confident in sharing what I have to say.

/rant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thank you guys and girls for so many replies and interesting information
    @Cotron and Skank
    Wow thats awesome stuff

Oh and one important question =
    I always hear people saying to me that i wont find a job with tattoos etc. So how correct is this ? I guess its just partly true....of course no high-class restaurant etc. will take me but it isnt like this in the art-biz isnt it ? o.o

THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unless you've got stuff on your neck, face or hands i don't see how ppl in high-class restaurants should ever notice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was just ment in theory Dan

THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sure but the more you think about it the more of a b.s. theory it becomes.
    the more conservative your job the more you're gonna keep your clothes on anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about the healing, what to use, what not to use etc.....

on the lastest work i just got on my left gauntlet, i kept it wrapped for the first 24 hours like normal, and then, like cotron, kept it wrapped at night so it wouldnt dry out. i did that till it was all peeled so i wouldnt rub any of it off before it was ready.
    it heals MUCH faster if you do this...tho in some areas its alot harder to do that.
    i use a couple different products too. i have a natural skin cream i use, and i also use aquaphore. its medicated and works REALLY well. i swear by it. then after its peeled i switch to a natural lotion untill its completely healed.

the only advice i can give is : you get what you pay for. you want cheap ink, youll get cheap ink. unless you KNOW the person, and know the quality of work they do...its worth it to pay good money for good ink..afterall, youre gonna have it forever! make it worth it!

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pictures, and some, erm, interesting ones.

I've taken a rather healthy/unhealthy interest in Japanese bodysuit's myself. Got plenty of years to get started. The whole working thing is changing now. In the UK more and more people are getting tattoo's so people seem to be more accepting of them. If your that concerned then get something that can be covered up fairly easily as there will always be people who do not like them, which may cause you problems.

Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    You all need manlier tattoos.. like myself.

Tattoos

You're going to have a fun time explaining that one to your grandkids.

"What, you mean you played it with a controller instead of your thoughts? How was that FUN?"

Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.