Natural Light or Artificial Light in your Studio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Natural Light or Artificial Light in your Studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Natural Light or Artificial Light in your Studio

So, I have accumulated so much stuff that I decided that I need a specific studio space that is not the corner of the kitchen or the middle of the dining room, bathroom or otherwise. In this space I will have my computer for digital stuff as well as a drawing table for the pencil stuff and an easel for painting endevors. One thing that I have noticed is the profound difference between the natural light that filters in through my windows and the artificial light that I get from the fixtures. For the digital stuff, I don't believe ambiant lighting matters, but for traditional painting, ummmm....yeah. So my options are to setup in a small room with a BIG window that will allow for alot of natural light, or to setup in a BIG room with only artificial light.

What does everyone think?

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what direction does the window face? this will matter in how the light comes in. North windows will give you even bounced light all day and is generally considered best. If you have direct sun shooting through the window at certain times of day, it can be a frustrating interuption to your work.

On the other hand, they're doing amazing things with ballanced flourecent lighting these days. Alternating warm and cool bulbs simulates sunlight well enough in my opinion.

I'd go with the larger room myself. I nearly always work by artificial light though, seeing as I do most of my painting after the sun goes down. Also, do you paint from life? Once again, there's pros and cons. Sunlight is prettier, but you can't control it

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say find a room that compromises..

fun fact * sunlight does not work at night time

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    north light is also more consistent for color temperature throughout the day. when working in traditional media, it's amazing how the vagaries of daylight can affect how a color piece looks, and anything but north light can change color temp noticeably over the day. even north light changes enough to have an effect, though less than light from the other directions. if your small daylight room doesn't have north light, probably better to go for a well-balanced artifical setup.

try and find the fluorescents used by higher-end color print shops for their proofing rooms -- they're a bit pricey but balanced to a 5000K color temp standard with a good CRI that's considered a decent daylight match. they may require special fixtures, though.

here's a couple of tech articles if you're interested:
    http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-fluorescents.html
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...08/ai_12043179

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After some consideration, it looks like I will be setting thing up on the larger room (in the basement). I will need new lighting and I saw different types in Home Depot. I saw the 5000K bulbs which where considered "daylight". They also had 6500K bulbs considered "sunshine". What would the difference be. Would one large fixture be better or multiple smaller fixtures?

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool I always wondered why it was so important to have north light for traditional painters. And I who was specifically looking for housing with south east / south west windows. pssh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are these special flourecent lights for architects that produce special daylight, I think they were called 750 something, I cant remember. THey are pretty expensive though, around a hundred bucks Id say

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    fun fact * sunlight does not work at night time
    Natural light can mean moonlight too

My drawing table faces the only window in my room. I try to draw as much as possible with natural light, but its not possible since its december in Canada and I'm almost a nocturnal creature.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.