Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Post your SB methods!

So, yea I thought it could be cool to find out everyones little SB process, especially for newbies. Sure they vary from page to page, but I find stuff like that very rewarding to read about, plus, If youve got a link in your sig, people could go check them out. Not only will it rack up a few hits on your threads, but maybe, just maybe, It will open up the doors of perception for amateurs to seasoned pros alike!

So basically, here are a few questions that might inspire you to post:
    how you approach an empty page, do you mix media, what kind of paper/materials (VERY common questions...) different ones for different moods, how much time spent on each page, is it a secret, where do you draw, who do you show it to, well you get the idea. aLso, if something new pops up that you forgot about and would like to share, PLEASE post in the original SB description post, that will make it so much easier on the readers!

And cap it off with a few links to your SB inspirations on CA!

Cheers Tim

Last edited by timpaatkins; December 9th, 2005 at 09:08 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    SO Im a SB buyaholic, Ive probably got like 20 different one, some with just a few scribbles on the first pages from years ago, never usede again. i cant help it, I go in to an artstore, I have to buy one, all with the ambition that "this will the "THE ONE", never is though. I always find exuses, paper to coarse, to fine, leaky, to heavy etc, and I get a new one.

So right now I have a normal boud hardcover SB, with like 300 pages, 65 g. VERY thin and not very good, but Im dedicated to it, and shall stick it out. I I feel that the SB was expensive and very good paper, I tend to treat it differently, almost as if Im afrais to use it, out of fear of fucking it up.

So I got a new system now, where I carry around a A3 hardcover folder, filled with all sorts of paper, plus the SB, and a big pencilcase with all my Prismas, and Inks and pencils, a pocketsize watercolor holder, 2 platsic cups with lids, ans a small can of fixative. I use a backpack for hiking. its got a foldable chair on it, so now Im completly mobile, and quite comfy. Im gonna make my own one though, Ill post pics. Basically, with this setup, Im trying to eliminate as many exuses not to draw as possible, like "this would look great on Kraft paper with charcoal, and I haven got any with me, so fuck it" I also plan on binding the loose page to a book at some time, when I feel its ready.

I usually give up on a page pretty quick, like 30-60 min. and it shows. Itd be nice to know how long WES9000 spend on his. I also dont tend to revisit pages. once they are "done" they are cronologically linked in my SB. and the usually center round unplanned studies, like random eyes, noses, faces etc. Im hoping this will loosen up, though, but right now I feel I have so much to learn, that I dont feel I can "let myself go" until Ive got some issues down. You know, that there is always something I should be practising instead of random stuff.
    And yes, I know this is just another exuse!
    I also carry it the backpack around EVERYWHERE, even if I know that there is no chance in hell anything will get done in it. But just in case...

EDIT 051209: I wen to the artstore yesterday to get a new SB, I got a Daler Rowney 150 g hardbound, its pretty damn sweet.

Inspiration (among others)

WES SB: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13996
    El Coro: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27263
    George&gyo: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53941
    James Kei: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22768
    and Marko, man your beautiful SB has no pix only several visceral X´s

Last edited by timpaatkins; December 11th, 2005 at 12:51 PM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    I've maybe finished 4 sketchbooks in my life. For some reason I used to get sidetracked into a new one when the last was still not done, don't know why. I'm trying to break that habit, though I mostly just use my sketchbooks for figuring out compositions anyhow. I carry a moleskin now, though, and I will finish that little bastard. The first few pages are kind of random, but since then it's all pen portrait sketches of people at nearby tables in bars and such. A nice challenge, and every time I start by thinking "well, I'm probably going to ruin this page..."

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Oh, SB = SketchBook.

Gawd, I hate abbreviations. You so smart about abbreviations tell me what PCH means?

I like buying white stock 8x11 or 8x14 printing paper and using that as a Sketchbook.
    If I made something I like but I don't wanna screw it up or make it better, then I put the sketch under a light table and improve it.......right now I'm obcessing about ballpoint pens because I want to train my hand eye coordination to put down the right lines right away.

Last edited by NoSeRider; December 9th, 2005 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Bingo, but he's from California.

Thanks
    No no no, it's Politically Correct Hookers. Sheesh, you guys don't know anything.

Thanks
    I go through a 175 page 8x11 sketchbook in about 1 1/2 to 2 months.
    I try to do at least 4 pages a day, although sometimes I slack off or speed up, it varies a lot. nowadays I get my sketchbooks from a local bookstore. they're nice hardbound things in different colors, so far I've got black red and blue. every now and then I'll get frustrated and tear out a really shitty dead-end page, but I try to stick it out and restrain myself.
    in the past I would just get a sketchbook for a birthday or christmas and it would last me a year or so (I didn't draw nearly as much). over the summer I made and used two of my own sketchbooks, simply because I found myself without one.
    I like bound sketchbooks more than spiral bounds, if nothing else because you can do a two-page spread. big sketchbboks are great, but you can't take them everywhere. finishing a sketchbook is a sort of ritual, when I finished one a few months ago I shaved myself a mohawk, which I still proudly wear.
    I take my sketchbook pretty much everywhere, although actually drawing everywhere I go is another story. timpaatkins, the folding chair sounds like a good idea, but whenever I'm drawing outside or around town its the wind and cold that get me: the pages flap and my pens gum up.
    I usually use ballpoint pen, mechanical pencil (though it smudges easy), colored pencil, or rollerball. sometimes I combine ballpoint and colored pencil or just go back and color stuff in with pencil, I find this works nicely when done right. most pages end up as a combination of bizarre doodles, composition/idea thumbnails, random studies, and abortive attempts at bigger stuff. sometimes I'll just take a whole page or sometimes two and work out a "finished" drawing, usually in ballpoint. I draw at school or wherever, but mostly at home, in the evening. this is kind of sad as the whole point of a sketchbook is so you can draw AWAY from your studio/supplies.
    interesting to hear how other people do theirs...

Dan

Thanks
    I usually work with a 81/2 x 11 sb with the heaviest paper i can find.. 80lb is usually what i find... i tend to need the heavierpaper cuz i tend to abuse my paper with all my pen lines and with my markers...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    i like to draw in my sketchbooks... and sometimes I buy new ones when it gets full...

i take mine with me where ever I go, and I have a dumb amount of pens & pencils... although I only use one pen when I sketch in public... restaurants, waiting rooms, buses, all good spots to kill some time with observational drawing.

Thanks
    I have three sketchbooks. a small paperback book sized one, a 8x10 one and a large 11x14 one. they're all hardbacked and serve as my desk... though I dont know if anyone sits at a desk to sketch.

Approaching an empty page is pretty easy since I know what I need to work on. Mostly I draw anatomy and figure study. I have pages upon pages of it. Most of it strikes me as unintesting so I seldom post it. Otherwise I draw my kiddos if they dont notice me and if they do I usually end up drawing their favorite cartoons.

When i travel with my little book I usually just have a mechanical pencil and an eraser pen thingie. I tend to focus on faces and I am very facinated with expressions, especially in older folks where you can see the lines and wrinkles or small children.

sketchbooks I look at nearly everyday are m@'s and mentler's and phuzion's

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i have an 80 pages a4 sketchbook that i carry around in my backpack everywhere i take the backpack. sometimes i'll take it out when going to a restaurant,but only seldom. i somehow can't sketch properly in public places,so most sketches are done at home on my bed listening to some good music. i carry around an insane amount of pencils,but will only use my hb mechanical for the sketchbook.
    before i started working properly (about two years ago,when joining this forum) i used loose papers and only did something when i felt like it.nowadays i feel like i almost have to show this community something,so i draw as often as i can and it helps tremendously.
    sadly i often spend far too much time on this forum looking for cool art.
    my biggest inspirations are:
    el coro
    phuzion
    rusty
    artkitty

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    hey Tim,
    as you know i have my 300 page monster from Borders i cary in my bag. I always take it with me when i'm going out for lunch, and if not that one then a small portable one. The paper in these sucks but then again i'm not planing on producing masterpeices in my sketchbook.
    I use a giant graphite stick or a layout pencil from the 70's a friend gave to me. Also carry around my brush pen but i have not used that one in a while for some odd reason. When i go out with intent to sketch (Subway Sketch Group meets) i bring my watercolors and size 20 red sable brushes. and also my dip pen with walnut ink. charcoal too.
    I never spend any time on my sketchbook work. Most are filled with sketches of people i see on the street or in the subways or at lunch hours at public spaces. also have my warmups from the SoI Jazz Sketch sessions in my books. I just start making marks and see waht happens. never reallygo in with an intent. Mine are usally blind atacks on the paper with hopes something profound happens on the page. if i do something that distracts me i just move onto the next page. Longest i ever spent on a page recently has been about 20 mins or so.
    as far as filling up the sketchbooks, 2005 has been great to me, filled up something like 4 or 5 300 pagers and a few small ones too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1