Sketchbook: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook! - Page 6
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping over dude. Some good studies here. Keep posting!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Joe,
    Funnily enough I myself was really happy with the upper half of the CHOW, where I for the first time managed to get even a small measure of depth, while the legs are not as good.

Spudstudios,
    Thanks!

Gestures!

Doodles! The large head above the dragon is from life.

Life!

A WIP of something I just started doing. Help me with the colours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, colors, eh? Well, if those are acrylics like I think they are I can't give you any medium-specific help (I can't stand acrylics,) but I suggest you start with just some value studies. To paraphrase Coro, color isn't that important if the values are right. You can color a hand blue and still have it look like a hand if you get your values right. Life studies are recommended if you can bear it.
    And then, I think you could get a basic grasp on colors by just reading through the Peer Project #1 (or #2 might be better, since one is closed.)

But since that's a bit longer term, for now you need to define your light source. The face shows a definite light source, but everything else is kind of muddy.

Well, keep it up! (sorry if I rambled)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    School's out for summer! School's out for ever!

If the immortal words of Alice Cooper are confusing you, let me just tell you that with all my final exams over, I really nothing to do other that wake up, do some household chores and, of course, DRAW! This means I'll start updating more often, and to further spur my creativity I'm going to start some mandatory activites for me, like Daily Self Portrait, 100 Hands and probably Daily Painting too.

This means I'll REALLY try to update every day from now on. Well, at least every day I'm home and have access to internet. And that's just the next few weeks, as I'm going to have a major surgery in some weeks - and while I will be hospitalized for over a week and therefore will have to do some time killing (i.e. drawing, reading), I really don't know how out of it I'll be. But I'll draw as much as I can anyway.

And that starts today! First DSP

100 Hands! 1 to 3

I was supposed to do a card for a couple that got engaged. Did some photoreffing, but it all turned out too hard so I ended up just doing some graphic design instead of portraits.

From life!

And doodles. Man I suck at being random...

Oh, and speaking of random! I finally decided to order Marco's DVD! How cool is that?

later, guys...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good to see ur gonna update more.

Nice stuff, but just slow way down. yah i know drawing fast like they do in gnomon dvds feels cool. but speed is something that gets better with time... er practice. as far as studies go, doing them fast is ok, but wen doing a peice you should slow down and make ur marks count, even if they are shaky. Going over lines multiple times is like scribleing out a mispelled word on a paper, it just draws even more attention to how badly misspelled it is. wen ur pulling a line and u go off track, rather than go back to the top and try the line again, just stop. Return to the point where u think u went off track and try and get back on. I think one day im gonna compile a list of drawing exercises and put them all together in a thread so i wont have to reiterate.

These arent mine, i found them lurking around here on CA a couple years ago and snatched them. Ive studied these through and through and theyve helped my rendering skills and understanding substancially. hope they help u too.

Markos dvd is great. it is well worth it.

o and check this blog out! tenminutedrawing

peace.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by OBX; March 26th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I often try to slow down, but I should practice more at that. Thanks!

DSP2. MAAN do I need to start practicing pastels again!
    Name:  0327-DSP2.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  33.2 KB

DSP3
    Name:  0327-DSP3.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  55.6 KB

My first dabble in oils! Pretty decent I think
    Name:  0327-giraff.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  132.3 KB

More hands..
    Name:  0327-hands4to5.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  47.4 KB

Went to town to do some sniping!
    Name:  0327-sniper1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  54.9 KB
    Name:  0327-sniper2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  0327-sniper3.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  66.1 KB
    Name:  0327-sniper4.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  22.2 KB

Oh, and by the way, check out my photo thread! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92726

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woot! Yes, my nagging finally got you on a better updating schedule!
    DSP1 is a major improvement I think, but it's a tad sloppy. Maybe go back in and fix up some of those lines and organize the shading a bit? It's never to late to go back and fix something.
    Life drawing, although frustrating at times, will definitely help.
    I know nothing about pastels, so I can't help you there, but I know a bit about oils. First of all, those white spaces are something you're going to want to avoid. I find it helps to set down a solid color BG first (grey or beige, something neutral), but that's mainly for still lifes. Speaking of still lifes, you might want to try a few of those just to get the hang of it.

Keep it up man, don't stop now! (Oh, and good luck with the surgery! I don't know what it's for, but hopefully it's nothing too nasty.)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Yeah, life is a bitch, I should really look for some classes where I don't have to draw people and try to avoid them noticing at the same time! The giraffes in oils are actually still life, and I'll do more of that.

What I find hard about oils is that it seems to be a hell of a lot of things you have to do to prepare. Of course, a lot of those things are just important if you want your paintings to last a hundred years (which may not be that important for my first still lifes), but as all I´ve got now is a basic set of colours, a fewe brushes and some type of turpentine, I feel like there's a lot of cool stuff I'm missing out on, in temrs of control over the colour, different foundations and such. I don't even know if regular drawing paper is the best to start on! And all those great tutorials are really teaching the next step, I'd want to know how to even start!

Buut...... Here's my update anyway. No hands today, just another SP and some CHOW.

Name:  0328-CHOW65a.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  0328-CHOW65b.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  0328-CHOW65c.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  0328-DSP4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  97.9 KB

I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, and won't probably have time for updating in the weekend, but expect more on monday!

Last edited by Serpian; March 28th, 2007 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, make that wenesday...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you know what the best thing to do before being gone a week, popping by and being gone another week? Promise daily updates. Yup, gonna be gone again. I'll try to do as many sketches as possible, but chanses are they're not gonna be studies... Oh and then, a week later, I'm going into surgery, and will be at the hospital for about two weeks, so this thread will dry up then as well! And who knows how much I'll be able to do afterwards, as I'm probably going to be very tired and weak. Isn't it nice when life just smiles at you?

But no, I'm not sad or anything. How could I, you know, as I just got engaged and all. The worst thing about being left handed is that when you've got a fancy new ring on your left hand, it's hard to draw it in your 100 Hands project. I did it anyway. (And yes, it was a very romantic evening by the riverside...)

Also did a bunch of Bridgeman studies.

And some hands, an SP and a little from life.

See you in a week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update soon! Promise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, long time no see! I just popped by to post my latest doodles before I go to the hospital tomorrow. Not that I've been drawing anything the last couple of days, been busy with engagement parties and stuff, but this is my latest anyhow. Some bridgeman, and some fun.

I got my Marco DVD a couple of days ago! Watched it straight away. It's really nice to see how he draws, whereas the stuff he talks about is mostly drawing philosophy and so forth. A good buy.

So, as I said I'll be going to the hospital tomorrow and the surgery will be on wenesday. I'll give you a drawn description of what they did to me later... As soon as I'm home again (in about a week or more) I'll post whatever I drew over there - it will probably be a lot of dead time to spend. And as soon as I'm walking again I'll almost certainly maybe will start updating daily again!

Till then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowzers. nice stuff that rock on one looks sweet, nice dynamic rythme in the lines and figures. keep on rockin on serps.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice initiative on those studies! More?
    The music themed pieces look nice too, just keep them coming and you'll keep improving.
    Oh, and major congrats on the engagement! I believe the forum usual is a picture of a cake or something, but I'll pass on that.
    Keep it up, man!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I've been home from the hospital for almost a week now, and finally I get myself to updating. During the week and a half I spent (more or less) in bed at the hospital you'd think I would have been drawing like a madman to get the time going. I'm telling you, five pages. It took a long while before I even felt like doing anything else that watching daytime soaps and TV-shop, and when I finally got to drawing, doing it lying down isn't the most easy thing. Well, I got the last five pages of my sketchbook done nevertheless, which contain, as promised, drawn examples of what the surgeons did to me, and some doodles.

And title page, hands, and what i guess you could call still life from my fourth sketchbook!

And finally a still life in charcoal and white crayon. this is pretty big, 55x55 cm.

I probably won't be updating every day as I said, but I'll try!
    Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! I really love the Space Marine in the post #145, I'd maybe add a bit more wax from the candles, but I have to say its a great idea, and looks really good

Nice studies also, keep them up!
    I really have to stop back some time, great work.

EDIT:

Thanks for stopping by at my sketchbook.
    Your too a fin? Oh, so I see
    Well then, great match against Russia tonight, huh?

I'm applying to EVTEK (3D visualization) and Pekka Halosen Akatemia. I decided to pass on Taideteollinen Korkeakoulu this year.

Good luck with your applications, I know how hard it is to get into a school in Finland, especially on this field (art).

Last edited by Jho; May 12th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. Great updates. You really are improving. Love that last piece! keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jho: SUOMII!!!! The final is in half an hour from now, hope we beat those canadians! Thanks for the comment and good luck with your applications. I'll probably try to get to some school in Sweden or London next year, but I've never heard of the two schools you are applying to, so I'll check those out!

Spud: Thanks! You should've seen the painting it replaced in the frame! Some awful piece of crap i did about five years ago...

So, an update, finally. I feel like I'm the laziest updater on these forums... Well, I've been up to some studies, doodles, CA101 assignements and DSGs!

I'll update in an eternity again, as usual!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

SP, life, and fun!

Later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Late, great update, mate. Oh, don't I just LOVE being silly!

We've got hands, SPs, fun, doodley crap, chows, even smashed hornets from life!

Am I at page four soon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the chow 72 looks pretty good. nice poseture. could use some nicer rendering tho. you definatly got ur message through with it. im just curious about the gun, he looks like hes holding it a lil awkwardly. either way ur on ur way to becoming an good artist, just keep posting like a mother. dont take any lessons from my posting habits. peace serp, keep serprizing me... i crack myself up.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OBX: thanks! Yeah, somebody at the CHOW commented on the rendering as well, he thought i should have more values. And I guess I tried to make it look like he's holding the rifle loosely with some fingers resting, but it came out awkward. I'm very satisfied with how the figure turned out though!

Damn, it's a long while since i updated. I could try to excuse my absence but I'll spare you and cut right to the sketches! CHOWs, hands and meaningless doodles.

I started colouring it with watercolour, and when I got to this stage, I realized I had no means to continue. What little acrylic paints I have suck hard, and I'm not going with oils in my SB...

later.. though hopefully not too much later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hand studies are looking pretty good. yah I guess I'll have to update my sb. I just got a new monitor so I cant wait to paint on it. work and after work activities have taken priority, oh, and i started to play a few video games... very bad. I'll get bored of them soon tho.

as for the rendering, just look at the post i did on march 22th or sumthing, i think its #155. the hatching exercises are great. Also this is a lil secret wen going to a wide value range with pencils... especially mechanical pencils. use cardstock or bristol board to do pencil drawings. Any thing heavier that 90 lbs is good. And this is personal, but some ppl use only one hardness of lead... but I use 2. I use 0.5 hb and 0.5 b. I do most of the drawing in hb, but wen im commited and need to add that extra scale of value I'll use the B. Also u can get fixative spray. That will freeze ur drawing and allow u to basically add a second layer of graphite on top. so go a buy 2 nice mechanical pencils... a kneeded eraser, some leads, fixative, and a pad of bristol board. Its nice paper and you may not want to use it... but you shouldn't let price give u fear. If your always saving it you'll never use it. Its just paper anyways.

I hope i didnt drown u in info. Ill update soon. thnx for stoppin by and giving my a kick in the but.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I've said this before, but dude, more anatomy studies. Don't do too many or you won't remember any of it (like me), but if you've got a book (or even just the internet access) whenever you aren't sure about how this muscle attaches to that bone/moves around the arm/bends in motion etc. just look it up and do a few sketches. Before you know it, you'll have a fairly solid idea of most of the body.
    Aside from that, just keep up the great work! (man, I've got to get back into CHOW one of these days)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

OBX, I usually use my mechanical pencil, can't remember if it's HB or B, but nevertheless, the same lead through the whole drawing. Sometimes I use regular pencils, almost always HB, but then the same pencil all the way as well. Is Bristol just a brand or a special type of paper? My sketchbook is a Windsor&Newton with cool black covers, can't remember the paper weight right now, but fairly regular.

Joe, yeah, I know. It's just the lazy part of me that wins all the time. And, man, you've got very good grips on anatomy, your from-the-head-sketches look very correct! But I'll do some more anatomy soon!

On a side note, I just sat and chewed on a small bristle brush. Now I've got a bristle-splinter in my lip! Ouch! Well, stupid is as stupid does...

Update in a couple of days? Maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, not a couple of days, a couple of months.

I have a number of excuses for not updating in almost two months, like getting a new computer (ie no photoshop in a while), being elsewhere than home, low level of creativity and plain old lazyness.

But you're not interested in that. So on with the doodles and studies and all the other crap! Because, although I haven't been drawing nearly as much as i should have, I have produced something! And this is why cupofjoe has seventeen thousand pages in his sketchbook, and I have six, because I post many pictures in few posts, every other month, not every day. Man I really have to get into the drawing habit again...

Rather than posting everything in cronological order, I'll do it categories, namely, from life, anatomy, architecture, and crap. Respectively.

But first, an old CHOW

From Life

Anatomy (Bridgman and 100Hands)

Architecture (mostly from life reference, but also some doodley crap)

And, lastly, Crap

Later.. Hopefully not two months, now that I've got photoshop for cropping again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice looking hands, do more of those!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks sabe! Will do, at least until I reach 100!

Small update, only one day later! YAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Just some crappy sps, random crap (and when other people post 'random crap' in their sbs it's awesome, but my crap is really crap), some hands and some sketches for a cow.

later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Hands, the last CHOW and doodles. Thus ends sketchbook four!

See you all.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2