Sketchbook: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Serp! Don't worry about not updating, you've got a hell of a good excuse! That trip sounds like an amazing experiance.

That last sketch is looking cool! Just watch those values, the form is kinda muddy. Have fun in Kenya, I'll probably still be here when you get back! Good luck!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm ALIVE!

Those of you that don't like a rant, just scroll down for tha PICTURES!

Okay, som ten weeks is a bit more than five, but now that school's started again, I can really get back to some routines. From now on there should be regular updates again.

So Kenya, huh? Very interesting, and a five weeks' stay in no mean deal either. What the hell have I been doing there you ask? Well, aside from very interesting visits to many different schools and congregations and such, we have been meeting people, learning culture and of course, seeing nature! The three-day stay at the national game reserve Masai Mara was nothing short of amazing. Awesome, I daresay. How cool is it to have around two metres between your car and a small pride of lionesses? And the alpha male we saw, which our leader called the most beatiful he had seen, THAT was cool. And he has been to Masai Mara many times. Of course seeing the other side of Kenya was, if not as awesome, a very important experience. In the streets of the city Nakuru we met street children, who mostly passed their time stealing stuff or sniffing glue. Really teaches one of values and proportions, eh?
    Anyway, you see that our programme has been pretty packed, and haven't allowed me much time to draw, and if I had, I spent that time resting from the latest nine-hour car-trip or reflecting over the latest experience. Below I will post the few sketches I had time to do.

Also this summer I have been on many youth camps, one of which was an art camp! There, other than pencil and coal, we got to try using pastels! In my case, more precisely, oil pastels. These are also posted below...

Now, prepare for the art dump of DOOOOM!!!!! And a little death too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

These three were actually drawn before the journey begun, but I was too lazy to post them.

This was a very comfortable tree to sit in, where we lived the first two weeks in Kenya.

These weren't done from life, no time for that as we were sitting in the car, but they are reffed from a book! We saw all of these animals...

Just having fun...

From life... My friends. And yeah, my friend's foot...

Not from life, but inspired by the Samburu, a tribal people living in the barren desert.

Home again. Concepts for a flash-movie that soon has been in the making for a year. Why? I'm lazy.

Samurais rock!

On the art camp: first a warm-up excersise in values.

First pic with oil pastels. Still hadn't really got the hang of it. Still haven't

A portrait from life.

These were all supposed to be caricatures, but they taught me one important thing: I'm too nice.

Landscape. That was hard!

Watercolour. Still life.

The worse and better arcitectural sketch. Respectively.

Just some sketches from life.

Just for fun.

Whew! Expect smaller updates in the future! Till then...

Serp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow kenya sounds like it was a blast. thats a great experience to have. use it, utilize wat u saw and felt in ur art. art with a purpose often works out and looks better that other peices. prolly my single beef with conceptual art as a whole, it has no meaning, only to inspire but not change. anyhow thats a story for another day. ur art is getting more confident. i love that value study u did at art camp. and lost of the characitures look nice too. peace. my time is short. laters

-obx

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's Alive! Great to see you back man. I'm tired, so more serious crits later, but is there a reason why the characters for your flash movie are both euphamisms for penisis? Or is it Peni? Nevermind, crits will be edited in later...

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Penises. And yes, yes there is. I don't know if you can see it, but under their names are their full names: Long Wang and Willy Pecker. After that I ran out of ideas.

OBX - Thanks!

Aannyway. Here is your Regular Random Robotic guy.

This sorta just jumped out of my head. Funky!

He's the trancendent space-clown juggler of DOOM!

Till later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that, but WHY?! Is there a secret or something?
    Anyway, crits. Seeing some Mentler in the third one. Numbers 4, 13, 14, 16 and the "better architechture" are great! Although I think your right, you gotta be kind of brutal with characatures. I'd do some actual crits, but seriously, you've heard my spiel a thousand time, and your improving greatly, so just keep doing what your doing. Keep it up man!

P.S.- I'll have to check with the others, but would you be interested in joining the SSG? It's really lax, so no worries. In fact, a few people haven't posted in weeks. I'll have to look in on that.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep I'd been browsing Mentlers stuff seriously before doing number three there.

Thanks for your comment and I DO know the deal: life drawing, proportions, anatomy. "Do more life drawing" really should be the slogan of these forums...

And joining the SSG would be great, though I've never been in one. Is the deal simply to post a lot in each others books, right? Always good to have some more visitors... *Viscious evil laughter*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, u should check out Oki's sketchbook. the two of u are on similar skill levels imo. u should check out some of the excercises he did for figure drawing. they are excellent ways to really boost ur knowledge of form.Oki

he's come a long way really quickly. I say this coz i see some similarities in the figures the 2 of u draw. mabey u could learn from him. im just guessing. wat do u have to loose anyways?

u gotta wrap around the forms. heres and exercise i think should help.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE!

Thanks OBX! I'll be checking Oki out in greater detail! And cylinders, yeah, I gotta do more of those...

These are two less creative pages...

Gah! I had no idea how to colour correct this one. The yellow is much more subtle IRL

Two sp's, one of them is an attempt at caricature.. Still gotta exaggarate more...

Finally some mirror studies.

Till later folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do u have photoshop? just hit control + u
    u can adjust individual hues in ur pictures. and change thier darkness or saturation. or even switch hues. so u could change all ur yellows to blues. be careful tho and alway be touching up the curves. if u dont it could get messy.

the mirror studies are great.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went through your book <> very promising <> we are all growing together here and it is fun to watch.... See you at SoFA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I have photoshop and I always colour correct my pics before posting them, but it just didn't go right with that one!

Anyway, thanks for your comment, OBX

And Mentler, thank you to you too! I've been thinking of joining SoFA, but we'll see if I can find the time!

Sorry for no update in a long time, guys! Creativity has been down, and with it, the Will to Post. Firstly I will post the.. things.. from that period, then the little better sketches.

I was very borded when drawing these.

Again, I was bored.

I. WAS. BOOOOOOHHRED!

I was slowly coming up fron the low curve...

...started doing some studies... You'll understand which ones are reffed..

..had some fun...

At last! Something I liked!

Oh. And some architecture too.

Till next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SP's (the caricature too), the mirror studies, the pencil life stuff from a month back and the stuff in pastels and watercolor are all looking really really good. Do more of that! Draw and paint from life all the time and when you do it be loose, fast and spontaneous. It'll look good.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i saw in a post awhile back u where asking about saveloomis.org.

well, here is a site where u can dl some loomis books (hush hush but it has some villpu books aswell) loomis

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you're back, Boogie! Thanks!

Thanks OBX!

UPDATE! We'll start out with some text. (For some reason on the internet, if you write more than two lines, it's a rant. So I'll just say text. Oops, this is a rant already!) Anyhow, I've been looking more into art schools later. I was looking at American schools at first, but aiming at the UK is far more realistic for a member of the EU (Discounts in tuition, yay!). Of course, this early in the game, nothing's decided yet, but I'm growing more and more confident that this is what I really want to do. But we'll see when and how I will manage actually going. Till then, have a look at these!

Doodle-doo. Just found a marker pen lying around and you know, what can you do?

Juust some more sketching..

From life!

ROME! It's SO cool!

Till later,
    Serp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey serp. Just a question. how long are u spending on each of ur sketches? I feel like they would look a hell of a lot better if u just spend a bit more time working ur lines.

also i did a quick lil draw over.

keep drawing. as far as school goes i dont have any advice since i have never gone to art school. just keep drawing and plugin away. hope my drawover is clear, if u have any questions just pm me. peace.

Name:  serpian crit 1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  212.0 KB

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added on to OBX's crit, it seems you were go9ng for exaggurated anatomy, but way overdid it. The dude on the left is like, 5 heads wide. I may try and slip in an overpaint soon.

Also- OBX, that link.... I love you.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! A paintover! I feel special! Thanks OBX, I could spend much more time on my sketches, but I'm so lazy.. I promise to keep an eye on the clock next time! I'll also need to go study some knees...

Thanks, Joe! Yeah, i really exaggerated the proportions, and was pleased with it. But I see now how his head could be bigger, and wider. But Romans DO rock, right?

On to the news... I've decided to start DSG:ing! And CHOWing and COWing, but those I won't enter into the competition, just going to do them as practice.

I'll start this update off with some flying kid madness!

Fun with designing imaginary games!

Jump!

This is for my first ever DSG!

Till later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again! It's been a long time since I updated this often!

CHOW 41 - go check it out, awesome topic. I wanted some sort of brutal mind-slave instead of an actual weapon, but after this one I decided to go for extra brutal, extra slavish!

These are the later designs. Still not finished..

DSG1118, two versions.

Later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that idea u used for the hands of that monster. u got some really neat ideas. now just keep working hard and drawing like crazy so u can communicate them even better. good stuff. if u want submit ur more finished version and ill do an over paint to help u out. i wont post it in ur book tho. ill just pm it to u.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, man!

Here's a little bit altered version with some hardened chitine shells or something. Actually I don't know what the heck it is.

Wow, if I had an outfit like this....

A bored out page. Just drew a lot of lines to see if I could figure out what was hiding in the pen... This is what it turned out to be!

Boooohhhring...

So what do you mean exactly, OBX? That I should enter my CHOW into the competition and you'd make a paintover on it? I don't know if I have the guts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come everyone's wearing parachute pants a few days ago?
    Anyway, nice updates! And why not enter it? Even if you say it's a sketch, you might get some crits. I've entered two, CHOW's, and niether of my things got taken to poll. But hey, I tried. (pointless rant over)

I like the DSG from parachute pants-day. The last dude in the cool outfit is good too, but his mid-section (waist I guess) is too skinny, and his right arm looks like it's got no bones. For those last creatures, that reminds me that Guggenmanuever had some SWEET deep sea creature refs that he'll send to you if you PM him asking for them, but since he hasn't been her in a few months just ask and I'll send 'em you way.

Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it to see that your anatomy studies do make a difference. Things that stood out where the portraits done in color (pastel or crayon?). Try to push that anatomy to pro level!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Joe, they've just got baggy pants. It wsas fun drawing. And yeah, you're right about the too skinny guy.

Durin, those portraits were actually pastel crayons! Yeah, I should do more anatomy, but time and lazyness is limiting me.. I think what I should do before improving my anatomy is getting a decent practice-oholism! What do they call it... Oh yes, work ethic!

Up first is DSG 1120 from saturday. Never got ti done on time so I'll just post it here.

Thene there's CHOW42, The Oxygen King. And Joe, I'm going to submit it!

Till later, folks, and Durin, I'l be sure to check out your sketchbook too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.

Just some crap. Gotta get back to doing studies. I'm too lazy.

DSG1123. Forgot about the rubber suit.

More DSG1123. I think I'm gonna colour this one. Suggestions on method?

Till later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys! Sorry for no update in over a week. I've been lazy and busy.

Here is the little I've achieved during my latest dry season.

COW61

DSG1124

Ok, so I suck att vehicles. And values. Hence: Value study!

Life!

Till, hopefully, not too much later, folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah... Another week goes by without me updating...

I tried making some really, really fast poses from life, something that proved hard, but fun...

Until this page... Frustrating!

Life..

I'm doing an art project in school I've got till christmas to put together an exhibition and a portfolio of my progress. The assignment is to "convey my relation to nature in pictures". I've got a separate sketchbook for this project which will also form my portfolio. Here are some sketches I did while searching for ideas for the finished work.

As you can see, the center of my attention is tha Golden Ratio, a very fascinating phi-nomena...

Till later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    phi-nomena: I am slain. Good progress. Fair variety of studies. Just keep at it.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I AM lazy. Almost TWO weeks since last update. I am now oficially changing the name of this thread to Serp's occasionally updated sketchbook, because I don't like to lie to you people this much. Damn lazyness.

Listing, thanks! Know that I did not make up the word-play phinomena..

Just a small update today, I'll try to do better tomorrow. Till then, look at this painting i did on an envelope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you could just say "Bi-weekly" means once every two weeks.

Great job on that last one! Kind of a Nicolas-y vibe going on. The back of his heads a bit square though.

Be back soon!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2