Sketchbook: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook! - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Serp's occasionally updated Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back after a couple-o-days of posting-slack!
    Thank you Dutch, Blacky and Staylor!
    Glad you like the diver, mr. Badass!
    Blacky, I've been wanting to do something in colour for a time, If only I could get myself to it!
    Yeah you're right, Staylor, I'm always rushing through shading, I guess I should practice on some easier shapes to get it done smoothly...

aaannyway.... Here's some more from my sketchbook!

This is just some thing I did out of my head, something Big Brother-like:

Gestures, gestures, gestures! These are additional mentler-box-egg-things.

More stuff from my mind..

This is a teacher trainee in my school. He just wouldn't stand still! (Note that this is actually ME drawing from LIFE!!)

I call it.... Telmah! It's a WIP, he's going to hold a live face in his hand...

Dark Eldars are cool. Coming soon: the Black Templar!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solid. im glad to see that ur using his techniques, they are by far my favorite figure drawing techniques out there. once u get them down u think less about wat muscles and where and more about this guesture and why. I like the confidence in ur last drawings, ur lines are definatly improving. keep goin.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, you're doing lifedrawing! And it looks good too. Now do it more.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian
    (Note that this is actually ME drawing from LIFE!!)[/IMG]
    Right on!
    Best practice one could do. (so...more of these please )
    Gestures using menlers methods look nice. He's got a ton of usefull information at his SoFA, treasure vault-subforum. You should check it out (if you have not done so already).
    Keep em coming...n so long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah man, you seem to have a very creative mind, thats whats most important! Well there are some problems with your figures, the construction stuff you use is really helpful to get different poses right but this is only half of the work that needs to be done. What I want to say is that you need to get to the muscles and bones, get some knowledge of anatomy. If you get the anatomy right and if you are able to combine that with the construction stuff you already use, then you will be able to draw some badass figures.

Keep at it, mate!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eyyyeeaaah!!!!! I thought updating on Monday was late, but I was too lazy to get it done before today! Someone should whip me for this.

Aaaannnnyway.....

From Life in School! This is hard!

Just having fun...

Petting is a big problem for me. Hence the bottle made of PET-Plastic. I'll try and do some permaments as OBX suggested..

And, as promised, the Space Marine of the Black Templars chapter!

Thank you all for your kind input! Yeah, I'll try to do some more life drawing, blackie and boogie!

And always with the anatomy... I really should try and find some book and look up Loomis... I've checked out the site, but I'm too lazy to work harder than I do now - which isn't hard!

The problem is that I had this problem deciding whether to start studying art or the natural siences, and I chose the latter, so now I'm in a art-depressed state of "what does it matter if I learn anatomy anyway?". Well I should, anyway, should I become a doctor!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Petting is a big problem for you? Aint got a girlfirend? Naw I'm kidding. Liking the lifedrawings. Sad to hear you're choosing math over art, but you gotta do what's right to you.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a shame you that you don't want to keep with the artistic studies. I saw your improvement from the first post until this last one.
    You should keep drawing, even it is only in your spare time... don't be stress because of that. Take your time for learn things... Some life drawing of take a look to some anatomic books as reference...
    I hope to see more of your stuff around here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh, nice update, i like that mechanical dude, looks neat. i really like the typography u did beside it! well, either way, treat ur art like a hobbie, that u do a lot. dont drop it, u can do it all on the side, i mean prometheus never went to school, and hes a professional. y not u? ok later dude, keep it up.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work in here. Work more on your proportions and do some muscle studies, it will help with everything. I think you should also work on your shading technique. Try different types, cross hatching, parrallel lines, etc.; and try to find those absolute darks in there.

The stuff that really sticks out is that which was inspired by other things; the Warhammer sketch above, Counterstrike. I say, draw what inspires, just be sure to leave some room between the original material and what you end up with. Another good way to "bone-up" on drawing is to draw some Reneissance works. Those guys had their anatomy DOWN.

Keep it up!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey serp! Sorry I don't get around here often. Nice update. I like the text. (I'm rather fond of typography, although I never had any nack for it). Also, STUDY LOOMIS! In fact, I should be doing that now, excuse me.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch. Look at that last update date. That's like. Almost a month back. Ouch.

Thanks all for your replies! Yeah it's kinda sad that that door is closed now, it'd been fun. But as Boogie said, I gotta do what's right for me. And I don't think art is. I mean, it would be fun to be an astronaut or an actor too. But I don't think that's what I'm meant to be.. If you believe in fate, that is...

Anyways... Let's not stop updating just because of this! A WILL keep drawing as a hobby, it's too darn fun not to.

This update will not be an as big one as you might think due to the space between now and the latest one. However, I've been on sports holiday the latest week now, and before that it was tests, so I haven't got much done...

But I'll stop ranting now and show you tha piczzz!

Doodledoo..

Some sci-fi-thing...

This one is inspired by a song by my brother's band Exinferris. visit them at exinferris.com! It might happen that I will illustrate the sleeve for their album, and if I do, the result will be something like this, only not a comic. And in colour, of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Serp! Glad to see your back, I was beginning to worry about you! Glad to hear you'll keep drawing. Keep at it!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving it, lets see more man.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE!

Remember the big fight? The album? This is the antagonist, albeit after the battle. The problem is that in the song his just feeling miserable, whereas on this drawing his swearing vengeance or something.. Well, anyway, I REALLY have to study loomis sometime.. I'm just.. so.. LAZY! Well that, and the schoolwork. Not that I do alot of that either.

Aw, man I'm a miserable person!

These two are just some doodles.. I'm getting better at hands, don't you think?

This one's screwed up. That darn anatomy... Oh well, I guess it's pretty good... Positive thinking, yes?

That's all for today, thank you all for your kind replies I WILL post in your sketchbooks, it's just... the schoolwork, you know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude this is becoming more like a bimonthly-thingy Good to see you still hanging around tho, keep coming here and keep updating. The only crit I got for you is one I already told you a couple of times. Draw from life!!!

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah sorry, Boogie, I am lazy! But this is a little improvement, yeah? Not too long since the last update? Please?

Anyway, hands are IN right now. At least for me. Please comment on these.

And sorry for the bad pics...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updated Serp! I really like that head in the upper right page. Is it from life? The hands are looking great too. Overcome the lazyness! Hoping for more (soon)!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cuppa! No the head isn't from life, but thank you! O guess it's the heightened contrast between shadows and highlights that makes all the difference int bringing a drawing to life... And yeah the lazyness.... I'll have to work on that as well as on anatomy!

Good news everyone! I am officially having Second Thoughts. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to totally give up on the artist thing. Because when I really think of what I would want to do, being an artist is it. But hell.. I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, I've got a small update for you! It's the run-of-the-mill fat robot, but what the hell. It's in a sort of WIP-stage, so we'll probably see more of it soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the page with hands from your previous update look good! Is it your own or are you drawing from ref? Robot looks cool too. Perspective in the 3/4 view seems a little off tho.. Might wanna draw some v.p.-lines to line it up proper.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Boogie! The hands are my own, so in effect they are from reference, yes? Yeah, the legs of the robot are different lenghts, gotta fix that. Actually, I'm going to sculpt this thing in art class in school! I've no idea how it's turn out, but when I started today, the initial result was better than I hoped for!

Anyway, here's a little update...

This was my first page today, and cycling to school was freezing this morning. Therefore I had to, literally, warm up with a couple of grayscales and circles. That hand is out of my head, to see if I've learnt something. And man, did I forget proportions on the naked computer guy?

This is with a 0.4 felt pen. Fun.

Till later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, folks! I bring tidings of NINJA!

And futuristic soliders...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Serp! Remember that anatomy! 8-heads and son on...Probably the best in this one is the dude in the lower left of the ninja page. It's obvious he was blocked out a little more than the others I suppose. The guy on the right of the page has a few problems, mainly that his body seems to be on a different plane than the legs, and something is going on with his right leg. Good overall. Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw from life!!

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice hand studies.

but i have no idea where u were going with those last few figures. it feels like ur having sturctual difficulties. try doing more bone and skeleton studes. specially in the hips. thats a tough spot.

the feet... just dont bend like a peice of gummie at the heel. theres a joint there.

in the egg and cube game, ur drawing the egg to large... well not too large just to long, u need space between them. think of the egg shape as the ribs and upper torso. then there is a space between the ribs and hips. and thats the abdominal area. the core. the part ur missing by drawing the egg to large.

and on technical and mechanical drawings dont be afraid to use a straight edge. especially on main lines, or just to set up a construction grid. even on humaniodish robot things.

those are a few pointers i have. but ure on the right track over all. i hope i didnt humilify u. i really like where ur lines are going, and that ninja is looking tight. its awsome to see ur useing pen and ink too, that really helps to boost confidence.

keep it up man, ur on ur way.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good stuff, definitely improvement over the course of this sb. my advice to you would be to do some more anatomy studies, get your hands on a good anatomy book if you don't already have one. and draw more from life!
    yes, i do think you're getting better at hands, keep it up.

chris

p.s. you're a 40k gamer aren't you? gotta be. and i coulda swore i saw conan o'brien in one of your drawings, back in post #17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Late Night Update with Serpian o'Brien (at least in my time-zone)

Thanks everybody for your input!

Cup of Joe: Soon I'll have to hire an professional butt-kicker, that kicks me in my butt for every day I don't try to get an anatomy book. There's always som much to think of in a drawing, sometimes you've gotta forget about anatomy, eh? Seriously though, I will practice.

Boogie: kort och koncist.

OBX: No offence taken! In fact it's just good that I get some more specific crits sometimes. I know myself that it can be very hard to give other comments that "I like it, but practice anatomy". Good to hear that someone knows what part of the anatomy if wrong. I agree on that I have to improve my lines, they're all busy now. And yeah, I like that ninja too. It was first an egg and box figure, which I then inked over.

Dose:Thanks! Yeah the GW imagery is just great, isn't it? And, It's funny you should mention it, that guy DOES look like Conan. Even more funny is that he wasn't meant to! It just happened...

Well that's that on thanking people. How 'bout I show you my latest batch?

More felt-pen. I think the turkish ninja has sprained his wrist! At least!

Blah blah blah doodle blah doodle blah blah.

Gah! Look at that little idiot down in the right corner! Don't you just want to get over there, and STRANGLE him?

The sleepy-looking hi-contrast guy is from reference... the felt-penned solider has got his proportions to hell but I can't erase him! The two other guys are from life, but those teachers just. wont. stand. STILL!

Aaaaannyho.... Till later folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reffed guy looks great! You could turn that into a real cool stencil and go out and do some vandalizing Your two life guys are cool too, it's nice to see you doing some of that. That they don't stand still is part of the challenge the way I see it. It forces you to observe and make generalizations to put down on paper. This I think is what give life drawings their rythm and vitality that is lost when drawing from copy or still matter. After enough life drawing you're probably able to translate that vitality into both your imaginative and your reffed work tho. Really, studying life combined with imaginative drawing I think is the fastest way to improve. When you do imaginative drawing you make a mental note of what things you are struggling with and have a hard time drawing well. Then you go out and study those things from life. Do this every day and you will learn something new every day. And when enough days have gone by you're badass. So keep drawing from life!

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right side, first page. YES. More of that please! Your closing in on that facial anatomy, and I see your getting closer to correct proportions. Keep at it! And some moore life would be sweet too (pot calling the kettle black here, or whatever the expression is.) I agree with annoyance at people never sitting still. Well, keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course it's a challenge to draw moving people, but I'd like to do an easier level first! No really, I should be doing it more, maybe I'll hit town sometime soon and draw old people in the mall!

Thank you both for your comments! Yer books are great too.

V for Vendetta is a really good movie, if you haven't already, go check it out!

It was when I drew this overmuscled demon that I realized I should really go and learn some......

Muscles!

And when I'm at it, I thought, why not learn some skeletons hand hand bones too?

Till later y'all!

edit: woah, second page soon!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2