Studying abroad at an atelier while at a university?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studying abroad at an atelier while at a university?

Has anyone done this before? I'm gonna have to meet with my study abroad director and convince him that studying for a year in an atelier will give me college credits for a studio arts major, because the drawing and painting classes here aren't gonna cut it. I'd like a college diploma but don't like the art courses they offer for it...

What are some nice ateliers outside of the US that would also be a great place to live for a year? I just checked out Pantura and it seems promising

~ Stephen

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you going to a school that doesn't meet your standards for the field you're gonna get a diploma in? Studying abroad is more an excuse to travel than anything else. If you're meaning to substitute your school's shortcomings, there are plenty of places stateside you should go without complicating matters and giving yourself one mother of a distraction [a continent's worth.] It's your call and everything but if what you say is everything there is to it, going abroad may not be the best thing to do for you right now [it IS a great thing to do otherwise.] Either you'll be too busy just being there and doing everything that includes or you'll be working hard and miserable for not doing everything else.

But!

As long as you're good enough, are willing to pay for it, get your school to accept the credits, and won't mind being outside of your comfort zone for a while, then I suppose you'll do fine. Most schools, especially the state/national schools [don't know about private or ateliers but probably them, too] have a lot of experience with foreign students and whatnot, so unless something happens, the system is there on their end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't come to here with Studio Arts entirely in mind, but now that I'm getting really serious about it (like dedicating my life to it) I am gonna look at the possibilities of going to 3 or 4 year atelier programs or maybe something like Watts.

My academic classes are good, I'm learning a lot, but I am questioning whether I will be better off reading up on this stuff myself, to avoid getting bogged down in homework time that I'd rather be spending on art. The most compelling reason to get out of here is probably the fact that one years tuition here will cover my entire stay at an atelier program...hehe I'm gonna have some life-changing discussions with my parents over the weekend, we'll see how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.