Art: Dalek!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dalek!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dalek!

Well, here's a Dalek in funky dark colours. The new series of Doctor Who was good, I thought, but far far to wussy. I'd like to see this kind of carnage on the screen, rather than the camera cutting away just as they're about to shoot people.
    Ah well. I guess we're not in the Robocop days anymore.

Anybody recognise the screen in the background?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...
    I like it, but there is a lot of competing color. Instead of leading me around the image, it seems to be smacking me in the face screaming obscenities about my mother. I think I like the architecture the best about this piece, although I keep getting distracted by the foreground. I might try something when i get a chance if it is ok with you (Finals right now are intense), I would like to see what the image was like with the saturation turned down to around 30%, possibly bringing the blood back up to around 80. There is a lot to look at here.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this piece would have been better if you would have connected the BG that you took from.. i dunno where to the drawing you made... i wouldnt have outlined all the characters especially the ones in the back... Also, to have a greater connection between the bg and your drawing you cvould have used some of the colors from you characters in the bg.. At least sparingly... like that green color that you have in the front pillar with the blood on it.. maybe add some of that color to the Bg directly behind it... and then add some of that same color sparingly all over the bg.. I also think that two ro even three characters you have in the front could be out of focus.. being that they are so close to the viewer and its obviously not the main focal point... you could essentially break this down into three parts fairly easily then create more unity between the grounds... Pretty cool.. very busy... but, i have a feeling your going to get some slack for using someone elses bg...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES. Now thats what I call Doctor Who. Awesome!!!!!!! Good to see another from't North of England

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it has to be a sad future with the gackt still alive after 700 years

no,really,the actual focus for me is on that stupid screen, which i imagine was not your intention.
    so many lines poinig there, even the "stop" hand!

Last edited by BRANDISH; December 7th, 2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Please bump my SKETCHBOOK . I'm too lazy to post.
    BLOG

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very lively, lovely!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, folks!
    I'm not sure what all this "using someone else's background" is all about though. That's a bit of an accusation to make... especially as I did in fact draw and paint it myself over the course of a few days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heheh! 'Ey oop! Great stuff! Doctor.... DOCTOR! EXTERMINATE!!! I agree with the saturated colours comment, but this is fab! Apparently Daleks are the must have toy this Christmas... which is nice.... Terry Nations' fish and chips! LOL!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Off the bat, I want to say that this is a fun, intense and well done piece. The background is the best, and the characters (though out of place for reasons mentioned by others) look mostly anatomically correct and have a lot of fun detail. The design work on the characters is GREAT.

It's VERY busy. However, the busy-ness in the background works because of the color uniformity. The characters....less so. I especially had a rough time of finding the face of the far-right character with all the color, hair, accessories, etc (For a while, I thought the ear was somehow his mouth... o_o).

The gun turret confuses me. IS it a gun turret, or does it move? If it's stationary, the guy behind it wouldn't be able to have a spot for his legs. Actually, even if it didn't...the turret would have to be flat for him to be that close to the back of it.

The dude laying against the structure with his ribs blown out...If the turret (or anything else) had hit him in the back to cause that, there's no way he would have fallen back against the structure. The force of such a blow would have sent him forward. Same for the ribs-blown-out guy in the foreground.

If we use the characters on the train platform to judge perspective, the characters in the foreground appear to be floating higher up than the figures in the background.

Your gun turret looks good on the left, but starts to skew on the right.

The blood that the far-right figure is wiping on the turret looks awesome...but very thick since the texture hides the 3D look of the bubble shapes underneathe it.

On a silly note...the guy in the blue glasses cracks me up because nothing appears to be wrong with him, but he's yelling. Yelling very seductively. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poshspice: I want one of those Daleks this Christmas! I've got a busicuit tin in the shape of a Dalek but th eye broke off.

Mirana: I'll definitely concede the over-coloured charcters make the whole thing too crazed. The girl in the front is in a weird pose, too... though if you turn the image on its' side, she looks OK (that's how I coloured that character. Like a moron. lol)

The gun turret is a Dalek. Have you ever heard of Doctor Who? World's longest running sci-fi show. The Daleks are the main bad guys, though the colour scheme on this one is mine. They look like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/daleks.shtml

It's like a messed-up alien in an armoured tank. So yeah, it does move (You can see the red hovering/levitating effect at the bottom slightly). It is actually flat at the back, though admittedly I didn't leave ample room for the dude's legs.

The guys with the exploded ribs were hit from the front as the Dalek moved through the city mowing people down. Supposedly. In the TV show, people just get hit by a beam and fall over, but I wanted to go overboard in my quest to see more violence in TV programmes. Haha. I guess the ribs blow outwards in a kind of Fist of the North Star effect as a by product of having their insides fried.

The guy in the blue shades is just a bit pretentious and decided to fall over and pretend to die so as not to buck the trend. 'Course he opened up his shirt beforehand in case any ladies were watching.

Last edited by Paul "Otaking"; December 7th, 2005 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one.. im not a big fan of doctor who.. but this pic is really nice.. the background really stands out nice work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, amazing

mmm... tastes like chicken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha - the daleks in that link have real plungers for guns

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blue Screen of Death! I get it- and I think more contrasty shadows on the foreground characers would make 'em more readable... I'd get more of an "invasion" feeling if there were more Daleks- right now it's like one dustbin is killing a bunch of uberwussies... I like it- cheers!

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paul- sorry about that,... when you posted you mentioned something about "do recognize this screen in the bg"? shit.. i understood it wrong.. Sorry man... great work...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vigostar, don't worry about it! I should have made it clearer in my post. Cheers for the comments, all the same. ^_^

chukw: Haha... almost! I should have said "does anyone notice the retrogaming screen reference?" ... it's a C64! I used to have one... 3 per game! Woo.

nonie: They're plungers, yup. ^_^ The Imperial Daleks in the 1989 serial had cooler, metal plungers though. Like this:

I kind of wanted something a little nicer than a rubber plunger. ^^;

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.