Good Advice about Time Management

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good Advice about Time Management

Hey guys... it's been awhile.

I'm still plugging away at making a living with my art and my shiny new diploma that says I'm capable. I can't find work in my chosen field, so I started my own business instead and doing well enough at it to eat, so things are good. The reason I'm dusting off my account is because reading through many of the threads the most common complaint is "I don't have enough time." I recently have been reading business books and there was a story in there that I've found very helpful as far as time management goes and I'd like to share it with you.

-----

One day a professor walks into his full classroom and sets a large glass jar on his desk and sets out several large rocks also. This immediately catches the students' attention as he places the rocks in the jar until he can fit no more in the jar. Looking at his students, he asks them if the jar is full. Most students replied with "Yes."

"Ah..." the professor said and pulled out a bucket of small rocks and pebbles. He poured this into the jar, the smaller rocks filling in the gaps inbetween the larger ones until the jar could take no more. "Is it full?" he asked his students and still a few of them said "yes."

"Ah..." the professor repeated and brought out a bucket of sand, pouring that into the jar until it could take no more. "Is the jar full?" he asked and was replied with a resounding "No!"

"Ah good..." he said and pulled out a gallon of water, pouring that into the jar, getting about half of it in.

"What's the lesson then?" the professor asked his students. One of the hotshots in class answered "That no matter what, there's always room for a little more in your life?"

"No," the professor corrected. "The lesson is that if we hadn't put the big rocks in first, would we have fit them in at all?"

The moral is that there are certain things we need to do each day to keep healthy and to improve our art. If we don't set aside time for what's really important (the book I was reading suggested mind, body, and spirit), we'll always be using the excuse of "not having enough time." If you don't have the time, simply take it and make sure that what's important keeps getting that time.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sincerely,
    Chris

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Unfortunately the resulting sparks set fire to any nearby artworks."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great story. Thanks for sharing this with us. I think i'm going to print it out and stick it on my wall by my desk.

Thanks

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer the professor who loads up with tennis balls, marbles, BB's, then pours in beer, leaving the reminder, "there's always room for a beer".

I never get more done than when I'm busy, nor less than when I have nothing pressing to do.

"A body in motion tends to stay emotional" - King Missile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    I never get more done than when I'm busy, nor less than when I have nothing pressing to do.
    This isn't always true for me. I find that work always seems to expand and contract fill the time alotted. If I have more time on a project I will take that amount of time. But when I have a tight deadline I somehow manage to get the same amount of work done in half the time.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by figure2
    This isn't always true for me. I find that work always seems to expand and contract fill the time alotted. If I have more time on a project I will take that amount of time. But when I have a tight deadline I somehow manage to get the same amount of work done in half the time.
    I'm like that too (for the second part, anyway). I'm awful when it comes to time management. In fact, I should be doing my Poetry Anthology homework right now....

Thank you for sharing that story with us, jarvis2824. I've just printed it off too~

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jarvis, it's something new to me which I find useful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good story

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep good story.

This story is being used quite often in management seminars. Whether or not the managers apply it is a different story (my managers didn't). But the damn theory works.

Get the important things first, then plan other things around it. Of course level of importance varies from person to person.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you want time management come live with me ill show you a good time.

or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's my biggest problem...I don't know what's important. And I don't have time to figure it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But sometimes the water seems like the rock and vice versa, and you tend to get them in the wrong order.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.