E.O.W Round 7: Winter Battlefield - THE BIG VOTE!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite winter battlefield.

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • auden100

0 0%
  • sketchling

15 14.29%
  • Hideyoshi

2 1.90%
  • Dragonspit

0 0%
  • ANARKY

1 0.95%
  • maque

1 0.95%
  • PHATandy

0 0%
  • Sinix

3 2.86%
  • darkwolfb87

0 0%
  • homeworld

8 7.62%
  • Sept13

0 0%
  • dariocoelho

1 0.95%
  • Zeitwolf

0 0%
  • Helium Macaroni

41 39.05%
  • smot

0 0%
  • Antilight77

0 0%
  • conundrum

1 0.95%
  • pandorablood

0 0%
  • shadoman

1 0.95%
  • koshime

4 3.81%
  • Demiurgic

0 0%
  • bwkeough

0 0%
  • Hyver

27 25.71%
  • sphone

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 7: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC:
    Winter Battlefield

Deadline For Voting: Sunday 11th December

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread
    sorry about apparently being too complex with this topic, ill make the next one simpler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

auden100
    Deep within a crevasse of a massive glacier, a small crew mans an illegal mining station harvesting the rare atmospheric gas buried inside. On this particular night a small blue craft appears to crash land in the glacier wall.

sketchling
    "After the outcome of the bloody battle of jagarl had been decided, the scattered victors dragged their weary bodies back across the ice, trying to remember the burning honour that had driven them to slaughter... It was said of that day that those who looked back saw the land itself bleeding. Bleeding for the countless. Bleeding for the arrogance of one man."

Hideyoshi
    Waiting in the crisp air we are anxious to be wittnesses of the 12th Titan War that will be taking place where it always unleashed since the great "Chilldawn" had reached earth in 2088 - the cold and barren arctic regions in the Gamma sectors...

Dragonspit
    The last two great armies of Ghibald stood on either side of Kalzier lake. Each side debating if it was solid enough to cross, or at least get close enough to make weapons reasonably effective. Meanwhile the armies froze their butts off, waiting for the decision.

ANARKY
    Winter sets in pretty quick in Karnakra, over night in some cases. The Two Generals knew this as they engaged in battle, and they knew it was due any day, but still they chose that fateful day to fight.
    2 hours in, and the Tempreture, already below zero, suddenly dropped.
    A total of 12,000 men faught that day, 300 died from wounds in battle, 10,000 died from Karnakra's terrible winter.
    To this day, you can travel to that battlefield and find men and the machines of battle still trapped in the ice, frozen in terror, perfectly preserved.

masque
    "I fuckin' hate winter."
    "Don't start, Ramirez..."
    "I really fucking hate it! You live here, man, you got ice cubes for blood. I'm from frikkin' Miami, man!"
    "Got winter in Miami, right?"
    "Yeah, but all that is the babes wear shorts instead of 'kinis. This snow shit... I fuckin' hate your Noo-Hamp-shy-er winter. Gotta get back to summa that sweet Miami vice, man..."
    "Didn't you hear? Bonzos got Miami. Got most of south Florida from what I hear."
    "You gotta be shittin' me, Jack. That's really bad fuckin' news..."
    "What're we gonna do about Bonzo down there, anyway?"
    "Bonzo's dead, Ramirez. We don't do anything."
    "Yeah but he's creepin' me out, man. I hate them Bonzos. Couldn't we bury him or somethin'?"
    "Ever try diggin' in concrete, Ramirez?"
    "I fuckin' hate winter, man. 'Cep for Christmas it jus' sucks."
    "Can it Ramir...hang on... whisky alpha x-ray this is foxtrot oscar papa niner, we got party crashers at grid seven-oh-three by four-eight-six, I repeat two, no, three mobile armored Bonzos on the west road at seven-oh-three by four-eight-six, requesting air support, heating up the laser, awaiting confirmation of air strike..."

PHATandy
    Ardennes Forest, 1944

Held up inside the farmhouse, Pvt. Rudiger Flicken-stritzengronen of the 2nd platoon, 1st Panzer Grenadier division was ordered to help secure the line at that farmhouse area. The closest Machine Gun post to the house, he held the foxhole and house attentivley, waiting for reinforcements to join in the big counter attack.

Sinix
    A Nepalese military outpost deep within the Himalayas in the year 2243. Still a hotspot for military tension and hostility.

darkwolfb87
    A prized castle of King Lillas smolders from the hands of his own desperate peasants. Emptied of riches and fowl in the midst of night, it was promptly deserted as a warning of growing disparity.

homeworld
    The sith lord was right to trust his instincts when he fled to this cold, ancient cave: although cornered and wounded, the dark energies of this shrine would definetly give him the upper hand in the battle ahead.

Sept13
    The aftermath of the Neo-Soviet Union's mass-migration through Alaska:
    No survivors defending the frontier were found alive or in recognizable condition. The remaining troops in Alaska were to return to the border of the state of Canada for counter future attacks.

dariocoelho
    for over thousands decades of human being, members of the gero-clan kept an old secret about a dragonegg that lies since everlasting time under the scanty world of the northern lands. it is clear that the young dragon must be protected as he will be the protection of life or the ultimate apocalypse. for centuries the clan is trying to find and protect the egg to avoid the fall of human being, hoping that they can lead the dragon into a peaceful direction. now the time has come and the members of gero failed. the army sees itself forced to prevent certain disasters and kill the ancient creature. ignorant as they are the warnings of the clan have been overheard and it seems like the prophecies of gero will become true.

Zeitwolf
    Broad trails of devastation are carved into the icy outer territories of Kjorh. Courtly disputes are usually handed over to the respective magicians of the disputing parties for resolution, and it indeed wouldn't be too clever to plague the capital and its many inhabitants each and every time.
    It may just not be so many days ago, that magicians Vork and Kenner in their sorting out the succession to the throne of the recently annexed neighbouring country of Brogh reached the mental state of commanding energy dragons, so the Royal Keepers Of The Everlasting Glorious Chronicles Of Kjorh predict an outcome due in approximately three weeks based on the records of the many similar incidents in the past ...

Helium Macaroni
    The Oil Wars of the early and mid 21st century resulted in near global economic collapse by 2062. Fed by hard-line foreign policy in the West and rapid economic expansion in the East, growing tension over resource depletion, energy supplies, and markets caused war to break out between the two major world power blocks. Overextended in the Middle-East after rapid overseas expansion, the United States was ill-prepared when China attempted to retake Taiwan as a matter of economic and political unification. With most of the United States forces tending to de-stabilized Persia, the Chinese saw a ripe opportunity. The vast majority of U.S. debt owned by China became a major bargaining chip before the conflict as well.

Economic instability, unrest at home, military over-extension, and foreign debt manipulation culminated in a crushing depression within the United States starting in the fall of 2064. Having the upper hand, China struck at U.S. Pacific forces and moved to invade the western U.S. coast. Not a day after the Eastern army landed in North America, a nuclear counter-strike was ordered by the U.S. Government on China herself. No surrender however was offered. The Chinese, only able retaliate in a limited capacity, still managed to decimate the major population centers of California, Oregon, and Washington with thier long range missiles. Foreign forces still continued to pour in regardless of the American nuclear strike.

Now, with the major military and economic powers in the world mutually and heavily wounded, a long campaign begins for the entrenched Chinese landing forces, and the exhausted United States Military.

Deep in the Pacific Northwest, advancing Chinese forces continue to make their way East. A Chinese fast-strike MAU (Mechanized Assault Unit) team runs into an ambush. Unfortunately, the three 'Cho Ba Won', and single 'Awg Fei' MAU's fare little chance against the American Mark III.

smot
    Mystical mountains called "Last lifebreath" have been witness many single combats of great warriors. And now the greatest two of them are going to fight..

Antilight77
    In the later half of the 20th century 1 corporation has take control of the mass market, however forces of extremism gathered to resist the pull of the “spend all your money life style”. A global battle erupted and the corporation tried to sweep those who do not want to buy things away. It did not work, this shot is 10 years in to the war. But what the resistance doesn’t realize is that they buy guns and ammo… they spend all their money to buy guns and ammo from the corporation to fight the “spend all your money life style”. A battle just a point less as all wars are.

conundrum
    As the once numerous water sources became scarce, the nations of the world were forced to move into nether regions to supply their citizens. So began the "Liquid Conflicts" as different armies battled over control of the only water left on the planet.

Of all the various sources, the "Ice Pinnacles" were the most sought after because they were relatively easy to remove and transport. This vast field of the monoliths would shortly be the scene of an equally monumental battle.

pandorablood
    All that was left was burning ruins......carmilla's castle was gone............she had no chance........

shadoman
    As if the Holiday shopping season wasn't bad enough, with the recent launch and shortage of the new XBOX 360 video game system, diehard gamers have resorted to armed robbery to be the first ones to have the hot, new item of the year.

koshime
    A winter's siege. The forces of Kalrak position for a long siege of the mighty fortress of Alhambra.

Demiurgic
    It is a battle amidst the the clouds as two soldiers fight as the last remants of their armies. Each waiting untill the last shots have been fired, and one... or none are left standing, so that they may take this bitter war with them to their graves.

bwkeough
    Even though the raiders struck too quickly for the loyal men of Hanover's Loch Outpost to sound their horns the blazing tower shone like a signal fire. The victors cared not, unnatural speed is it's own obfuscation. They would be on the edges of the soft merchant city before dusk, before the alarm reached the Home Guard, before the gates were shut.

Hyver
    Here we have it, the depiction of one of our greatest moments in science, warfare and history in general. Back in 2007, right after the Invasion, troops were often taken by surprise in the hot desert planes, ambushed by the invadors and their ability to summon fierce snowstorms in their surroundings. Many conventional weaponry at that time just wasn't built to this kind of exposure and would jam instantly. Whatever menacing devices were left, were rayzapped - taking any soldier holding it with it.
    This here team of daring troopers was the first squad to successfully catch the energy with what would later be known as an early prototype of the now common Kickbacker. For victory ahead! (in memory of the many brave who died - no animals were harmed in any way)

sephone
    At a certain time of the year "The Wolfen" raiders wait for cargo ship that are not prepared for the cold winters. Unfortunately these vessels get stranded in the freezing cold narrow paths of the Mulkhee River and are helpless to escape the attacks and raids of the ships. The Wolfen are accustomed to the sub-zero temperatures and know there way around these treacherous paths.

ok some awesome entries and lots of them! yay!
    now one rejection, cause someone didnt read the motherfreakin rules! its not hard to add a description it can be one line, but for gods sake "blah" doesnt constitute one.

Last edited by Red_Rook; December 5th, 2005 at 12:52 PM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me vote goes to hyver- for most rapid advancement and excellent piece. Goood going bro!

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aw man, tough decision here!

feathered hats go to bwkeough, koshime, pandorablood, helium macaroni, sinix, hideyoshi and sktechling! amazing stuff

more in-depth crits later on

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i vote for macaroni cause of the best winter feeling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes for Helium Macaroni for the great description and well presented picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchlings first image would have been my favourite.

But my vote is for Helium Macaroni for great mood and action.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also liked and would have voted for Sketchlings first go.

There were a lot of good entries thoug and it was kinda tough for me. I voted for Helium as not only did I like the story, as soon as I saw it, I thought, hey, that looks like Mt Hood and surrounding area. So its close to home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyver got my vote for design, dynamics and the windy effect, though I would have liked to see a more engaging point of view - I feel like the viewpoint is coming from a camera on a tripod looking straight ahead, while the battle is happening underneath the line of sight. Also, if you imagine the viewpoint is coming from the eye-level of someone in the painting, the focus goes towards the snowy rock above the guy in the middle. I think what I'm trying to say is that the action is dynamic, but the point of view is not, so I don't feel like I'm there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for homeworld's piece for its excellent mood, tight composition and and overall consistency of technique. Helium Macaroni and Hyver duke it out for the runners-up -- both great work but for me HeMac's BG seems a bit flat compared to the mid & FG treatments, and Hyver's needs a better central focus (my eye doesn't know where to rest and take it all in as a unified composition).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitwolf
    Sketchlings first image would have been my favourite.

But my vote is for Helium Macaroni for great mood and action.
    same here

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very torn between Hyver and Macaroni. Both have excellent texture and cool mechs, and I am a fan of cool mechs. Hyver's has the edge compositionally...but there's something about Macaroni's that really puts me in the scene. I think I'm gonna go with Macaroni, but if I could split my vote I would.

Other faves are Sketchling for the symbolism and cool rocks, Anarky for the atmosphere, and darkwolf for the perspective.

EDIT: Another honorable mention for dariocoelho, whose nicely epic piece just loaded for me.

Last edited by max1975; December 5th, 2005 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god this is quite tough.....I really like how clean sketchling's work is plus you know i have a thing for matte paintings.....lol...but Hyver's is pretty darn interesting to look at....I think i'll go with Hyver for this one! awesome work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work guys and gals! Homeworld's piece is rocking my proverbial socks. Someone needs to explain how the hell to keep the images so crisp, yet blended properly.. I'm clueless. I don't have tons of time to a lengthy crit, but I just wanted to say..

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonspit
    I thought, hey, that looks like Mt Hood and surrounding area. So its close to home.
    Heh, I was hoping it would read like the North West properly =) I visited Seattle a few years ago and was stunned by how beautiful the surrounding mountains were, especially Mt. Hood.

And, Masque.. Fuck! I just realized how flat that backgound looked. I was so concearned with the damn robots and the bridge I kinda left the far off information in the preliminary value stage.. arg.. thanks for the crit.

Fantastic stuff everyone! Good luck in this round, see you in the next!

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes, less is more. Haunting and beautiful, Masque. Congrats.

2medusa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you, 2medusa. i was concerned about being maybe overly subtle, good to hear that wasn't the case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im voting for Hideyoshi, the cliff in the background and the ice plane make an interesting battlefield, and it really looks cold.

Hyver sure got the best battle and Helium Macaroni got the best Mechs, but neither is part of the environment which is to judge on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Macaroni- yeah i gotta hand it to yah nice job! ...i hope to see this kind of excellence in our next meet!

sketchling you would have been my second choice! great job

-chao

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy macaroni-

get it its a pun. oh wait. its stupid.

i love the story, the mood. oh yeah, and mechs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to sketchling. the sky and white-out sun really feel like winter to me. not an easy decision!

btw: my webserver seems to be down at the moment. you can take a gander at photobucket:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...attlefield.jpg

Red Rook - feel free to swap in that url so I'm not showing the dreaded red x!

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Helium Macaroni, nice job on your environment and the description as well.
    sketchling: unfortinatly Macaroni took the vote as soon as you changed your image. This sencond one in my opinion wasn't as strong.
    Hyver: If there was a 3rd place you would have had my vote. Nice sense of action and mood.
    I have to get better and hope to continue participating. Sorry i can't give more c&c's have to get back to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have timi to write something big and constructive, but is say that i vote for Homeworld works, just because luv Star Wars and fro fantastic atmoshpere 'full of the Force'

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.