Sketchbook: Sunday drawings*** update *** - Page 5

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
  1. what is it that you want to do with your art erik? like long term... large figurative paintings? continued figure study? atelier? i know it's just for fun for you, and the answer might be better emailed than posted on sketchbook, but... definitely i'm wondering what that goal is. i think that the life drawing is great practice but i wonder if you could maybe do something that's a little more fun as your medium if in fact life drawing is what you are really passionate about. try watercolors? ink wash and casein (one of my personal favorites these days...) ? guoache? there are limitless possibilities and the experimentation involved in learning a new medium AND working from the model is nothing short of thrilling, if sometimes very scary. I know you've got the watercolors, maybe just streamline your setup and see what you can do in 20-30 minute pose. don't beat yourself up if they don't look like masterpieces at first... it will take a little time to acclimate to the new technique... my argument basically is if in fact your goal here is to have fun / practice drawing figures / etc... you could be learning another medium WHILE trying to get the figure down correctly. just a thought. thanks as always for posting.

edit: check out the sketchbook of amish commy / arkady roitman here on ca... his stuff is really beautiful.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    dCepT: thanks man viewing

Guggemmanuever: thanks, short answer I will use watercolour in our project, acrylics to do still life sketches and pencil for figure drawing from life (must focus solely on draughtsmanship/drawing or I'll have a meltdown) . I Have some ink to so perhaps I smack that in somewhere to just to little time to draw :-(

Just bought a sketchbook A4 size that I'm going to use for acrylics, going to see if I could afford buying an easel and some more brushes that actually has ood bristles and colours.

Not a good one but a beginning already learnt a lot from this one and made a long long list of what I must think about for the next one :/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mindflaw; January 9th, 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: picture viewing problems
    My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

I hope that the perspective is on your list.
    Uh, sorry for the rough tone.

Oj, märkte att du var svensk
    Gillar dina studier på nakna människor!

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

5. Quote Originally Posted by diphalia's signature
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.

well said dp.

Erik!
    Now this is a really cool idea! i like the idea of an all-acrylic sketchbook ... would be interesting to see the weight difference / appearance difference externally before you begin and after you complete it. Because acryllic weighs so much and is bulky, it would be an interesting thing to observe. I'm glad to see that you have the equipment to keep the floor clean.

i meant to mention it in the PM but Big Congratulations on the exciting new opportunity! I hope that commuting doesn't hog up too much of your time... if it means more drawing time on the train it could be cool, but it'd also be at either end of the day right? early a.m. or evening? I used to do this and it was good in some ways, bad in others. I wasn't as dedicated to sketching back then so lots of times i'd just sit and stare off into space... veg out. anyways, understood on the focussing on draftsmanship... that's of course a great thing to focus on

anyways, take care and show us more art! cheers to another year of stellar art improvement!

guggemmaneuver

Cool! Branching out! The brush might give you an idea about describing objects the pencil doesn't have! Keep that stuff up! I'm keeping my eye on ya!

If those are acrylics, do experiment with water or other thinners! Or if you want 'em to dry slower for more wet in wet action there are retarders out that do that as well! Learn the media and what you can do with it.. hehe.. go crazy and have fun!

d-C

Last edited by dCepT; January 24th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Diphallia: welcome to my sb

Guggemmanuever: I got another job where I lived and is living in so I have not moved. The sketchbook with two sketches plus two primed pages weighs approximately around 575 to 600 grams (got a bad food scale, but it's better than nothing). haven't gotten around to sketch-paint that much yet. Been focusing on colour lately but it has hurt my drawing skills eek... been working a little on the GB::GL so hopefully it will come together as well as a ROTO contribution welll hopefully

dCepT: Yes been trying most of it haven't got crazy yet but it will come sooner or later hehe pencils are easier... starting to paint is like having a blindfold on while creating the image anyway thanks for stopping by and dropping som C:s

anyway I'm trying to learn to mix colours so I've been doing colour charts hopefully they will help when I start to paint in colour.

and here's another bad paint sketch have not really gotten any control over the brushes yet :/

Nice! Values look better than in the first pass on the acrylics! Keep rockin' 'em! You're workin' those observational skills now! That'll pass on to your imaginative stuff as well! No crits today, just keep on' keepin' on! I'll check back!

dC

Thanks for the visit dCepT, although you have forced me to do an update even if it's a small one

Ok I've recently been fit enough to train again which forces me to sit at the trainstation boring if not for my sketchbook..started yesterday but I sold the two sketches I did then yay...but here´s the one I did today.

Cool! Nice to have your art appreciated so much that people wanna buy, huh?

Good to see an update! Still rockin' the brushes, huh? Cool! try out laying down planes with that thing, instead of drawing just the lines... like painting shadowshapes, and supplementing it with lines to describe what you're looking at

dC

dCepT: Thanks for the reply I'm waiting for you to update your sb!!!! anyway a more painterly way of using the brush pen will come slowly hopefully... just need to get a little bit more comfortable with the brush pen, maybe soft start with scribbles and then going over and doing the "shadow shapes" to get the same end result

yeah it was cool having people interesting in what you´re painting even though it was more the moment rather than the art that was the reason to buy. There were some kids last week that run to the opposite bench to pose for me when they saw me drawing things like that makes it all more interesting to draw, anyway gave the drawing away, that one actually came out quite decent

To all of you thanks for stopping by to check out my Sunday drawings

little update just not to post without drawings, more life drawing sketches

Ok decided to just randomly do quick landscape thumbs today. On Saturday I will take one or two and see if I can take them one step further in Painter and actually make them somewhat interesting. Any suggestions on which I should pick?

Two, five or seven If you go with two; shift the composition a bit... the tree is almost dead center, which makes it a bit static... push it a bit off to one side, or extend the canvas in painter...
    the sky/clouds in #5 are kinda cool! they look more painterly than your previous pieces... hehe... which is awesome!

the reason I picked the ones I did was that they seemed to have the most depth and interesting elements... thought of combining what you like most from different sketches into a new piece in painter? You can just cut'n'paste different pieces and mess around with the layer blending modes to see if you get any interesting results you might not have thought of before

dC

dCepT: Thanks, about the composition yeah my thoughts exactly too when I had finished the thumb. I'll use the cut´n´paste method in the future this time unfortunately I noticed that I hadn't enough of interesting stuff in my thumbs need more practice. going to follow through with one landscape anyway changing comp. as I go along maybe it turns out ok in the end Anyway thanks for the reply and tips

landscape wip with lots to change

My only defence of not being painterly with my life drawings as I want is that I´m using a brush pen with not enough flow and bad paper,and with only two pens, one with ink and one with water, so I'll have to use it more as a pen. but I guess when I get better it going to work anyway

You have a lot of gestural type stuff up, which is fine but I would like to see some more polished/finished works from you!

Oh and I love the fact that your into thumb-nailing, thats always a good trait to have before drawing something.

I like the face of the girl in the last one! got some good expression in there!

About the enviro; think about what you can do to differentiate your stuff... like contrast and hues and such... Use most contrast where you want the viewers eye to rest the most, and push less interesting parts into lower contrast (like atmospheric perspective... make it look more "foggy" and uniform in the background)... uhm... yeah... hope that came out vaguely helpful... I'm wrestling with enviros myself... hehe

dC

Zoroko: When my vacation starts I'm going for some finished stuff as for now I'm happy for those few minutes I get to actually draw. Thanks for visitng my sketchbook.

dCepT: Yeah I read aomething like that so I get it I remember when we did the enviro themes but I always put to much time in the beginning making everyone turn out looking like a crappy sketch. anyway your efforts shows in your enviros.

Ok here´s some three minutes poses from life drawing

Ok long time since I updated anyway been painting some last week

30 sec to 1 min

10 to 15 min acrylic

painting acrylic (big size) sorry for the bad photo was in a hurry didn't want to miss my train home

Thanks for stopping by

Akrylkroki03 <- The definate best of the bunch Bolder brushstrokes describing the form. Good stuff! You're definately improving with these! Keep 'em up!!

dC

Hey Eric. Thanks for swinging by. The world's kinda small I guess.
    You know what I woke up from this morning, a sms from Zaphod who'd seen me in the newspaper (GP) they had a big article about the school and the teachers. And I was standing in the background drawing. And this in only three days. Crazy man. But it's really cool you saw the program.

Now for some critique. First of, slow down, take your time to see what your drawing, don't draw anything without having a reason to do so. line ot stroke economy. Second you need to simplify, guess it's for your own good, just to make it understandable for the mind.
    That's my two cent.

Cheers glad to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilator View Post
    First of, slow down, take your time to see what your drawing, don't draw anything without having a reason to do so. line ot stroke economy.
    Absolutely second this!
    Your work need hierarchy and more defined shapes.
    Keep pushing!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.