Sketchbook: Sunday drawings*** update *** - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sunday drawings*** update ***

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... well.. I use harder brushes like I said to pull things into focus... but that's just my preference... either way... working from general to detail is the main idea

About the COW... have you used some sort of overlay for the texture? Textures are great, but when they're overpowering the image thay work against you... I think it flattens it a bit...When I'm using textures, I usually make custom brushes to add 'em in... that way they won't be totally uniform. Other than that, I think it looks good!

d-C

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits are good :)

Ok Remade my Drifter imo an improvement

dCepT: Yes textures had to try it. Thanks for the crits above is what I made out of your crits... Oh and about the mad soft brushes forgot to write start out with mad soft brushes heh, anyway thanks for the crits. Make sure to update as you wrote cause I wanna see how the painting turns out

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been to Stockholm doing lifedrawings and stuff

Sitting and drawing with fellow CA people after the lifedrawing class. Pencilator and Zaphod where the ones I got on paper.

waiting for the train

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok heres a study of an head...me and Guggenmanuever have set out to do one head each then probably continue to evolve it in some direction...I strongly suggest to go to his sketchbook and look how it should be done ... I make a link when I know he has posted his choosen head.

Thanks all for stopping by my sb

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The update on the CHoW and that last study is real good! Definate improvement! You've gotten a lot more form out of the ChoW... but that "line of light" that runs around the rim still flattens it out... everything inside there is hella better, though!

Not trying to get you down It is crit week.. hehe...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please crit

have not much to show mostly been playing with watercolours like this one

dCepT: thanks for the crits they will never bring me down only up one more step on the ladder of skills

Last edited by Mindflaw; December 11th, 2006 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been to a museum in Stockholm drew some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

when in stockholm

nice looking studies there erik--
    especially in the fragment of the face i can see the lovely style of museum lighting...great job! looks as if you might be sketching with tone, which i think is looking very well done.
    thanks for the updates lately
    guggenjoel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff! I'd like to see even a bit more values and despcription of form... Like the fragment of the face... You've got both your heavy blacks and you lights in there, but some more midtone would help it stand even more out.

THe facefragment is my favourite of the bunch! Hence the crits, 'cuz it occupied me the most.

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggenmaneuver: yeah I did sketch with tone actually it was first at the end I added some lines. Very hard at the beginning since I don't know if I hi right... just flat shapes looking like nothing. Thanks for the reply

dCepT: yes you're right need to be al little more cautious, so the midtone doesn't disappear, Thanks for the crits.

Found a place where I can do lifedrawings on saturdays yay so hereīs some lifedrawings (should have drew the box she was on in the second and third pic)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok started WIP Sneaking humanoid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by mindflaw, been awhile for me checkin out your pad too.
    I really think your pencil gesture drawings are really really nice! Really. To be honest, when you render, you do it very heavily. I'd say keep on with the gestural loose expressive approach. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice figure studies e—>
    How long were these poses? Looks to me like ... eh 2-5 minutes each pose, right? the top three seem to be the best ones i.m.o., i like the feint suggestion of tone, even though i know this seems like maybe something you threw in at the last minute. or even after the session had adjourned. not sure... but these are nice. is this pencil held sideways or some kind of charcoal rendering?

Crit: seems to me in these quick poses you're kind of avoiding roughing in the size & shape of the head. Something that i've been picking up in my figure painting is getting the head / skull shape roughed in initially, next the motion line of the figure, and roughing in the rest of the body shapes from there. Once you get that done, measure the head and increase or decrease it's size as necessary. Having a good head on top of your figures should add a good bit of depth and overall finished feel to your sketches. doing some geometric Bridgman style construction style studies of the head perhaps could get you a little more comfortable with both placing and sketching it really fast.

thanks for dropping by thee blood wearied skrawl tome. i should have the next GB installment ready later today / scanned tomorrow: I struggled a little with the concept and direction but i finally broke those blocks and should have a solid concept to crank out. sorry for the delays, gb should be on the regular again beginning tomorrow

cheers e, thanks for the tunes too! very enjoyable!

Great updates! keep up the studies!
    j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sabe2003: Hey thanks for dropping by...will try to keep it looser...have problems with that hopefully I get there Make sure to update your sb it been to long since latest update m'kay

guggenmaneuver: they are 1 to 7 minutes used 3b pencil sideways. I'll do some Bridgman studies as it is now if I try to a head more than an oval initially I get stuck some mental block so I focus all my efforts primarily on the body, other than that I think I have/trying to have the same approach as you do, anyway I'll try doing some loads of Bridgman style heads until I feel confident enough to try it at a life drawing session.

ps: Gb walks in mysterious ways - ours going to be great to see what you made of it

here's my latest study from photo...thinking about turning it into a digital painting using this one as an underpainting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to think about harmony and design when you begin the digital paint on this one. a lot of your other paints have some intense saturations right from the proverbial go: work up towards that brilliance and master it's intricacies.

—— guggen over and out ——

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggenmanuever: Thanks guggen I will try, when I come to the digi paints hopefully I get to "digi" it next week I put prior on doing these pencil studies but they take longer than I thought it would

Here's my latest study from photo it actually took much longer than the previous one :nohope

thanks for dropping by my sb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice e!

ok. wow. the fashion aspects of these renderings are pretty sweet... lots of potential for really nice art from these sketches.

one suggestion. seems like the texture of the walls is a little rich. ... perhaps you could scale back that texture in favor of a harder lead. if you're roughing it in with a 2b or an HB, maybe try using a 2H or 3H to get some nice buttery tones. that will push the background into the background somewhat which will give you a better sense of focus and subject. do some more rendering on the faces of these too ... i wanna see expression and whimsy in them. Maybe explore the shadows in the fabric.

in short, beautiful work.

ok... i set up the scan files for our gb collab... you'll see what i'm talking about by tomorrow or tuesday... something i had to take care of. anyways, looking forward to getting it put up. and to seeing what your next gb installment will be.

all the best friend,

gug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BoneFragments

I think I smell mechanical pencil <> work on variety of line <> drawing is a language and as with any language the way we enunciate and emphasis what we say is important to how well we communicate.

Mechanical pencils those used by many also have many limitations.
    Pressure, width and contrast to name a few.

Because they never have to be sharpened they tend to lead one into mindless shading/rendereding.

It is good to step away from your drawings and let your mind catch up when your hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggenmaneuver Thanks and I will try using a harder pencil for the background, especially since I tried to get it more "buttery" but failed.

Mentler Thanks for dropping by my sb...as to try and work with your input I have started doing "quick" ink sketches trying to learn how to work with the line weight. Doing badly atm. Would it be better to use a pencil instead? My thoughts is that every misuse of line-weight would show the most in black ink. Will try to put use to your advice in all my drawings except the photo studies maybe stupidly, but I feel I learn other things from them that I want to concentrate on for the time being. Wrote long cause you're right, so please keep crit me it is very appreciated.

Since It was the last day of my unused painter trial I started with the digi of study #1, had lots of fun. Still have lots changes to do with the face, going for a smooth look, will continue when I own painter. Painted over the pencil.

One of my ink sketches in some months they hopefully will look better. I use a calligraphy pen when I "twist" the pen the width of the line change just need to get the hang of it

Some lifedrawings ranging from 1 to 7 minutes, since my life drawings been extra terrible the latest three weeks the last one I decided to try and draw in like I felt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more life drawings thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK painted until I grew tired of it..anyway any suggestions to make it better???

thanks for visiting my sb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok another digi any suggestions added some close ups

Ok, ok, I was a bit sloppy with the edges on the contour here

Edit: Does anyone knows why the first one only shows up as a link...I now added the same code twice so the link is the same as the hands

Thanks for dropping by

Last edited by Mindflaw; May 26th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some life drawings from Saturday

started to try and draw in tone firstly and then add contour lines

first try

last try

Thanks for dropping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking better and better! Thanks for dropping by my SB! Cool to see the digis! Try to push the values more to describe the volume better

Keep workin'!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dCepT: Hey thanks I do tends to smooth values out the more I work with a painting.

I haven't had the time to draw for a long period of time but hopefully I get back on track again at least a little.

Anyaway a sp the worst flaws: didnīt get the eyes in line and did the mistake of bring in the bg colour way to heavy in the highlights destroying the form I had. Anyway thanks for visiting my humble little sb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

welcome back friend!

erik-->
    Nice self portrait!

Sorry it's taken me a little bit to write, but it delights me to see that you're back at it making art! after so long! congratulations! the self portrait is great! i love the refined palette: it's so subtle... something i've been trying to work with in my own work here lately. work up to the saturated tones, right? familiar with black frog's stuff? i love the way he uses colors.

I undestand that in the past months that you've been through a great deal of difficulty: i hope that things are going better now, i really do. I think this was a good time to do a self portrait: the strife of it all seems visible in your face. maybe that's just me, but i call em like i see em

when you wrote i was in my hometown in the middle of dealing with the death of my grandfather. i wrote a response once or twice, but ended up tossing it out. anyways, i thought a lot about the condolences you expressed a long time ago when my grandmother had died: meant a lot to me and it helped me a good bit again, so many years after originally expressed.

gb :: glp - i'd like to kick it back up, but only when you feel good and ready i've certainly got tons going on here. fall rice almost done

cheers bro and good to see you posting again!

here's to continued growth and good health!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah... like Gugg said; good to see ya posting again! The eye closest to us looks good... it's the far one that's troublesome... but I think that's always the hardest oneto lock down as well... Put a separate layer and draw the elliptical line that describes where the eyes sit, and work under that for the blockin... might help... hope everything is good over in your neck of the woods!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggenmaneuver: Sad to hear about your loss.

The gb :: gl it's going to take some time before I get the time again after Christmas I'll get probably get plenty of time if not at least enough to do well thought out stuff. I'm in the midst of making some major changes in my life atm.

About the palette I made one before I started to paint making all the decision about getting the values, the warm and cool of the colour working etc. and since it's pretty much monochrome I could deal with the painting as I would a black and white painting.

Anyway when I had made those decision I choose one brush and changed the opacity when needed and painted until the sp finally changed into something that I liked. Name:  palette21nov.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  9.4 KB

I'll mail you as soon as I get time to write.

dCept: I'll put in an extra layer with construction lines in the next one I do. I'll make some comments in your sb next time you update, in your recent one I had nothing to add more than keep going. And at least things are getting better in my parts of the woods

Anyway here's some life drawings unfortunately drawing is like jogging ifyou don't do it regularly you loose skill
    Name:  skisser071110004.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  40.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad drawing week

anyway here&#180;s one life drawing

Name:  skisser0711001.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  57.3 KB

and I'm trying to understand form and light better by doing "boxed" figure drawings. As my knowledge really bad I don't know whether I should use two values or three values heh...suggestions
    Name:  skisser0711002.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  58.8 KB

Thanks for dropping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! The box model looks good! Hope you feel it pays off doing studies like that! Let's see more of 'em!

d-C

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.