Art: Redemption

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Redemption

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redemption

Hello, everyone! I'm a self-taught artist and this is basically my only really finished picture so far. It involves some of the characters from my stories, the main one being the lady with red hair.

This is a very allegorical picture, and all the plants stand for certain things. (For instance, the sunflowers mean "adoration, adoring"; and the nightshade berries in the central woman's hair stand for "enchantment, spell."

Anyway, I hope you like it! I know it's not a great picture, but I think it's pretty good! The entire scene was drawn in pencil, scanned, and then colored/painted over a little/glazed with color in Photoshop.

Thanks in advance for commenting!

P.S. I would LOVE to hear what you think is going on!

Redemption
    Redemption

Close-ups:

Central Woman:
    Redemption

Knight:
    Redemption

Knight's Lady:
    Redemption

Minstrel/Bard:
    Redemption

Death/Evil:
    Redemption

Last edited by Andrea Smith; December 3rd, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, it's a good picture. The detail shots are a little much though. Also, consider shading with more colors, rather than with black and white. The picture would really be effective if it weren't for the muddy coloring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My crit is that there is SO much going on in this image that I have no idea where to look, and my attention is never spent on any one thing for any decent length of time. Thusly, I do not even notice a lot of the symbolism or allegorical details. This image could easily be seperated into several different images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the lute or lyre or whatever that guy is playing doesn't seem correct...every string instrument that I have ever seen always has the strings on top of the fretboard...the strings that are above or below the fretboard serve no functional purpose...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bammer, it did not occur to me when I painted this picture to shade everything with different colors. However, it is about a year old now, and I have learned a lot since then.
    About the close-ups, I just thought that some people would like to see things in better detail. Someone told me on my other post to make the pictures bigger, and I wanted to avoid that problem.

Capt. underoo, thanks for the advice about the musical instrument! I didn't see that strangeness.

SaIiLdVaEnR, I know there is a lot going on, but it's sort on in the style of a ooold painting, where there are all these things to look at and study. I probably could have designed it better, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it better in a de-saturated form like this?
    Also, I wanted to mention that the colors and constrast seem to be different on the internet then what they look like on Photoshop. It is in RGB, so could that be the reason? At any rate, it looks more washed out than it really is.

Here's the de-saturated version:
    Redemption

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its always good to see some traditional style artwork. alot of us rely too much on computer nowadays. you have a very good hand with your pencil, everything looks really sharp.
    it also shows even without reading what you said that everything has a meaning, it shows that u spent alot of time thinking about this image. i bet alot of research and prep work was done. keep that up!

sorry to disapoint you tho. i think the pencil black and white looks WAY better then the colored photoshop version. i understand that you said u didnt plan on coloring it at all when you made it in the first place so its all good. but next time you do plan to use photoshop i would use less black and white. oh thats been said.
    all in all, very nice image. i enjoyed looking at it, thanks for posting=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Koncept! I appreciate your comments a lot! This picture DID take a lot of preperation and gathering references and such, and I'm very happy to hear that someone can tell that it did!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love a picture with detail. And i love symbolism, even when i don't understand it all. Mystique is always for the better.

But, in this picture, i kind of have hard to find anywhere to focus. It's like it's like there's 5 different stories fighting each other to be told, which sounds pretty interesting on one hand, but it makes the whole image confused. If you could somehow find a red line, that made the viewer first focus on one thing, than find more stuff in there to expand the story, i think you'd gain a lot.

Other than that i think you've done really good. The faces are a bit strange, in some cases it works, but in some it just looks... strange. Some expressions lack true expression, mostly due to strangely rendered eyes.
    But then theres the redhaired girl in the middle, i LOVE her face. Very nice.
    And the girl holding the lamb is nice too, i have kind of hard to see her face, but it's something strong about her anyway, and the lamb and the way she holds it is really really nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, hemmendorff!
    I think you're right about the eyes in some cases. I'm really glad you like the red-haired woman, though—She's my favorite, too! And the main character.
    Next time I try an image like this, I'll give it better focus!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.