are graphics tablets nececary??
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: are graphics tablets nececary??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Icon are graphics tablets nececary??

    like can you do the same sort of stuff with a normal mouse than with a graphics tablet?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Haifa, Israel
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 703 Times in 313 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I know one person who prefers a mouse over a tablet, and does very good work a that, using low opacity and going over several times.
    He only tried it in a demonstration day at my design college, so I don't think he realizes just how great it gets after getting used to it.

    I would look into vector art as a way of expressing yourself digutally without a tablet, in fact, I prefer a mouse in these programs.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,393
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't work in digital, though I've fooled around some and I've been using photoshop as a along-the-way tool and graphics tool for several years. Just got a tablet a couple moths ago and it makes a huge difference. I can't draw on the computer with a mouse because it doesn't feel at all natural to me. I can't get fine detail, I can't even get very smooth strokes. Also it's way faster, for whatever reason. I think it's all just because it feels so much more natural. I'll be working on a layout with the mouse (cutting and pasting and typing and moving, etc.) and as soon as I get to something that involves drawing I switch it out for the tablet.

    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

    New books and process DVD available NOW!

    www.dvpalumbo.com

    Quickie blog (nudity)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 55 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Bernardino, CA
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I find it can often save your wrist from injury, especially for detail work

    My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

    "Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    would it be ideal to get a graphics tablet if your good (in an average way) at photoshop

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 347 Times in 163 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Unless you enjoy flinging mice against the wall, yes it is.

    DON'T CLICK THIS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. Of course, depending on the type of progem you use or type of art you want to do.
    I used to do all of my work using a mouse, it felt like I was tring to draw with boxing gloves on.
    If you possibly can, buy a 'cheap' tablet and try it out.
    I bet you'll fall in love...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    753
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 62 Times in 58 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If you want to paint digitally, the short answer is "YES." Here's why. A tablet is much more natural to draw or paint with than a mouse, and the pressure sensitivity allows you to vary parameters like brush size and pressure without any clicking buttons or pressing keys. The aforementioned ergonomic reasons are also important.

    My advice: if you want to get into fine arts on the computer, buy a Wacom Intuos3 4x5. With tablets, size really doesn't matter.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I've had interns ask me that. And I've heard some schools cook up excuses like "what if the company you work for don't supply tablets?".

    Any self respecting art/design companies will supply tablets. Worst case scenario, bring your own. And only shit for brains teachers in that particular school will give the kind of shit for brains excuse for the lack of budget to get students tablets.

    Do yourself and your wrist a favour. Save up for a tablet if you don't already own one. Buy one if you already can afford one. Simply said.....make plans to own one in the very near future even if you just intend to fool around with Photoshop as a hobby.

    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    521
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 49 Times in 26 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Like everyone wrote: If you use it for painting then it is really the best solution at the moment. If you use if for anything that is not painting related then you could work without it. But when you have one then you always have the choice of using the mouse if you need/want instead of the tablet.

    The tablet won't allow you to do things that you can't do with a mouse because you are still using a programm. But the tablet can make a lot of things easier.
    You can for example you the airbrush tool with your mouse and with your tablet. Both will work but with the tablet you will be able to use the pressure sensitivity for the opacity of the brush (instead of changing it in the menu). This is just one of many positive aspects of the tablet. Of course if your work is more related to graphic design (layout, typography,...) then the tablet won't be as much a help as it is with digital painting but you could still use it and probably benefit from some of its features.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GA and the world
    Posts
    4,500
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I have to disagree with Mario.

    A tablet will allow you to vary the size and opacity of one stroke while a mouse will not. In fact, you can set up each brush to react to the speed, pressure, and direction of stroke in a different way, expanding your options a thousand fold.

    A tablet will allow you to use motions much more familiar to you as a natural media artist (mainly pencil-like media), taking advantage of muscle memory you have already developed.

    A tablet will expand your sexuality and make you far more witty and congenial. It will pad your bank account and increase the quotient of static friction on your tires, allowing you to corner at much higher speeds. A tablet will help you understand New Yorker cartoons, allow you to make a better beignet, and deliver a discount on fine liquor. It is the yin and the yang, the warm and the cool; it does your laundry and irons your socks. Without one, you will live only a half-existence, suckling on the shriveled teat of dispossessed vaudeville star. Hairless cats, stinking of failure, will haunt your steps, children will fear looking into your doll-like gaze, and the horrible feeling of living one-quarter phase left of reality will deepen, until your Ramen-infused existence becomes an unsupportable burden and you decide to end it all by eating your own hair.

    Tablets are neat.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to dogfood For This Useful Post:


  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Added advice. Listen to Dogfood.

    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,049
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    ..yes

    quoted for truth

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 55 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    A tablet will expand your sexuality and make you far more witty and congenial. It will pad your bank account and increase the quotient of static friction on your tires, allowing you to corner at much higher speeds. A tablet will help you understand New Yorker cartoons, allow you to make a better beignet, and deliver a discount on fine liquor. It is the yin and the yang, the warm and the cool; it does your laundry and irons your socks. Without one, you will live only a half-existence, suckling on the shriveled teat of dispossessed vaudeville star. Hairless cats, stinking of failure, will haunt your steps, children will fear looking into your doll-like gaze, and the horrible feeling of living one-quarter phase left of reality will deepen, until your Ramen-infused existence becomes an unsupportable burden and you decide to end it all by eating your own hair.
    Wow...I had no idea. I feel my tablet is as under-used as the majority of my under-developed human brain. If I'd only known the possibilties!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 40 Times in 19 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    are you being serious when you ask this question? For the artists that only use a mouse.. you have invested entirely too much time into retraining yourself to work with a mouse when you could've been mastering traditional mediums, or just bought a tablet.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,988
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 289 Times in 172 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Get a tablet.

    My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    which is better out of the intuos 3 and the graphire 4 tablet. im thinking the graphire 4 because its cheaper but i have absolutely no idea about this stuff, so please fill me in

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    .....

    Last edited by /ev; May 21st, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 539 Times in 203 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    illustrating with a mouse is like trying to draw with a bar of soap...in your left hand.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    3,224
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    I have to disagree with Mario.

    A tablet will allow you to vary the size and opacity of one stroke while a mouse will not. In fact, you can set up each brush to react to the speed, pressure, and direction of stroke in a different way, expanding your options a thousand fold.

    A tablet will allow you to use motions much more familiar to you as a natural media artist (mainly pencil-like media), taking advantage of muscle memory you have already developed.

    A tablet will expand your sexuality and make you far more witty and congenial. It will pad your bank account and increase the quotient of static friction on your tires, allowing you to corner at much higher speeds. A tablet will help you understand New Yorker cartoons, allow you to make a better beignet, and deliver a discount on fine liquor. It is the yin and the yang, the warm and the cool; it does your laundry and irons your socks. Without one, you will live only a half-existence, suckling on the shriveled teat of dispossessed vaudeville star. Hairless cats, stinking of failure, will haunt your steps, children will fear looking into your doll-like gaze, and the horrible feeling of living one-quarter phase left of reality will deepen, until your Ramen-infused existence becomes an unsupportable burden and you decide to end it all by eating your own hair.

    Tablets are neat.

    that is correct sir

    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,049
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    illustrating with a mouse is like trying to draw with a bar of soap...in your left hand.
    I do that a lot in the shower.

    And dont ask where my right hand is.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Question

    probably the last question
    does it matter what the size of the graphics tablet is?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 347 Times in 163 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yes the bigger the tablet the broader the range of wrist movement and such.
    I find small ones incredibly unconfortable.

    DON'T CLICK THIS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    yah, it comes down to personal preference (if you can try a few out first before buying it'd be wise) but most people aren't so comfortable with anything smaller than a 6x8. Wacom seems to market 4x5's as cute lil tools for people to mess up their holiday photos with. But there are awesome artists out there that get by with a 4x5. I've got an intuos 3 9x12 and though it's totally impractical as far as desk space goes, it's the closest to actual moniter size so it's most natural, I think.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    688
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    6x8 is the minimal practical size for art and a nice size for the desk top. Larger IS better. WACOM is the best and most supported but AIPTEK is dirt cheep. Since a tablet is far superior to a mouse the AIPTEK gets you in the park next to the ball park.

    I started with a AIPTEK thinking I could never afford a WACOM. It was so much better than using a mouse. It made doing art possible. BUt it wasn't too long before I wanted a better device. So, I saved and finally got the WACOM 6x8. It was one of my finer investments.

    However, if you don't know if you will be really getting into digital art the AIPTEK tablets are a cheep way to find out. Be aware that IF you do fine out that digital art is your thing you WILL be wanting to move up to a WACOM. It IS the ballpark.

    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •