are graphics tablets nececary??
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: are graphics tablets nececary??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon are graphics tablets nececary??

like can you do the same sort of stuff with a normal mouse than with a graphics tablet?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know one person who prefers a mouse over a tablet, and does very good work a that, using low opacity and going over several times.
    He only tried it in a demonstration day at my design college, so I don't think he realizes just how great it gets after getting used to it.

I would look into vector art as a way of expressing yourself digutally without a tablet, in fact, I prefer a mouse in these programs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't work in digital, though I've fooled around some and I've been using photoshop as a along-the-way tool and graphics tool for several years. Just got a tablet a couple moths ago and it makes a huge difference. I can't draw on the computer with a mouse because it doesn't feel at all natural to me. I can't get fine detail, I can't even get very smooth strokes. Also it's way faster, for whatever reason. I think it's all just because it feels so much more natural. I'll be working on a layout with the mouse (cutting and pasting and typing and moving, etc.) and as soon as I get to something that involves drawing I switch it out for the tablet.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it can often save your wrist from injury, especially for detail work

My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would it be ideal to get a graphics tablet if your good (in an average way) at photoshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you enjoy flinging mice against the wall, yes it is.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. Of course, depending on the type of progem you use or type of art you want to do.
    I used to do all of my work using a mouse, it felt like I was tring to draw with boxing gloves on.
    If you possibly can, buy a 'cheap' tablet and try it out.
    I bet you'll fall in love...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to paint digitally, the short answer is "YES." Here's why. A tablet is much more natural to draw or paint with than a mouse, and the pressure sensitivity allows you to vary parameters like brush size and pressure without any clicking buttons or pressing keys. The aforementioned ergonomic reasons are also important.

My advice: if you want to get into fine arts on the computer, buy a Wacom Intuos3 4x5. With tablets, size really doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had interns ask me that. And I've heard some schools cook up excuses like "what if the company you work for don't supply tablets?".

Any self respecting art/design companies will supply tablets. Worst case scenario, bring your own. And only shit for brains teachers in that particular school will give the kind of shit for brains excuse for the lack of budget to get students tablets.

Do yourself and your wrist a favour. Save up for a tablet if you don't already own one. Buy one if you already can afford one. Simply said.....make plans to own one in the very near future even if you just intend to fool around with Photoshop as a hobby.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like everyone wrote: If you use it for painting then it is really the best solution at the moment. If you use if for anything that is not painting related then you could work without it. But when you have one then you always have the choice of using the mouse if you need/want instead of the tablet.

The tablet won't allow you to do things that you can't do with a mouse because you are still using a programm. But the tablet can make a lot of things easier.
    You can for example you the airbrush tool with your mouse and with your tablet. Both will work but with the tablet you will be able to use the pressure sensitivity for the opacity of the brush (instead of changing it in the menu). This is just one of many positive aspects of the tablet. Of course if your work is more related to graphic design (layout, typography,...) then the tablet won't be as much a help as it is with digital painting but you could still use it and probably benefit from some of its features.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to disagree with Mario.

A tablet will allow you to vary the size and opacity of one stroke while a mouse will not. In fact, you can set up each brush to react to the speed, pressure, and direction of stroke in a different way, expanding your options a thousand fold.

A tablet will allow you to use motions much more familiar to you as a natural media artist (mainly pencil-like media), taking advantage of muscle memory you have already developed.

A tablet will expand your sexuality and make you far more witty and congenial. It will pad your bank account and increase the quotient of static friction on your tires, allowing you to corner at much higher speeds. A tablet will help you understand New Yorker cartoons, allow you to make a better beignet, and deliver a discount on fine liquor. It is the yin and the yang, the warm and the cool; it does your laundry and irons your socks. Without one, you will live only a half-existence, suckling on the shriveled teat of dispossessed vaudeville star. Hairless cats, stinking of failure, will haunt your steps, children will fear looking into your doll-like gaze, and the horrible feeling of living one-quarter phase left of reality will deepen, until your Ramen-infused existence becomes an unsupportable burden and you decide to end it all by eating your own hair.

Tablets are neat.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dogfood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added advice. Listen to Dogfood.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    ..yes

quoted for truth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    A tablet will expand your sexuality and make you far more witty and congenial. It will pad your bank account and increase the quotient of static friction on your tires, allowing you to corner at much higher speeds. A tablet will help you understand New Yorker cartoons, allow you to make a better beignet, and deliver a discount on fine liquor. It is the yin and the yang, the warm and the cool; it does your laundry and irons your socks. Without one, you will live only a half-existence, suckling on the shriveled teat of dispossessed vaudeville star. Hairless cats, stinking of failure, will haunt your steps, children will fear looking into your doll-like gaze, and the horrible feeling of living one-quarter phase left of reality will deepen, until your Ramen-infused existence becomes an unsupportable burden and you decide to end it all by eating your own hair.
    Wow...I had no idea. I feel my tablet is as under-used as the majority of my under-developed human brain. If I'd only known the possibilties!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you being serious when you ask this question? For the artists that only use a mouse.. you have invested entirely too much time into retraining yourself to work with a mouse when you could've been mastering traditional mediums, or just bought a tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a tablet.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    which is better out of the intuos 3 and the graphire 4 tablet. im thinking the graphire 4 because its cheaper but i have absolutely no idea about this stuff, so please fill me in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by /ev; May 21st, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    illustrating with a mouse is like trying to draw with a bar of soap...in your left hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to disagree with Mario.

A tablet will allow you to vary the size and opacity of one stroke while a mouse will not. In fact, you can set up each brush to react to the speed, pressure, and direction of stroke in a different way, expanding your options a thousand fold.

A tablet will allow you to use motions much more familiar to you as a natural media artist (mainly pencil-like media), taking advantage of muscle memory you have already developed.

Tablets are neat.

that is correct sir

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    illustrating with a mouse is like trying to draw with a bar of soap...in your left hand.
    I do that a lot in the shower.

And dont ask where my right hand is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

probably the last question
    does it matter what the size of the graphics tablet is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes the bigger the tablet the broader the range of wrist movement and such.
    I find small ones incredibly unconfortable.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yah, it comes down to personal preference (if you can try a few out first before buying it'd be wise) but most people aren't so comfortable with anything smaller than a 6x8. Wacom seems to market 4x5's as cute lil tools for people to mess up their holiday photos with. But there are awesome artists out there that get by with a 4x5. I've got an intuos 3 9x12 and though it's totally impractical as far as desk space goes, it's the closest to actual moniter size so it's most natural, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    6x8 is the minimal practical size for art and a nice size for the desk top. Larger IS better. WACOM is the best and most supported but AIPTEK is dirt cheep. Since a tablet is far superior to a mouse the AIPTEK gets you in the park next to the ball park.

I started with a AIPTEK thinking I could never afford a WACOM. It was so much better than using a mouse. It made doing art possible. BUt it wasn't too long before I wanted a better device. So, I saved and finally got the WACOM 6x8. It was one of my finer investments.

However, if you don't know if you will be really getting into digital art the AIPTEK tablets are a cheep way to find out. Be aware that IF you do fine out that digital art is your thing you WILL be wanting to move up to a WACOM. It IS the ballpark.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Members who have read this thread: 1