Sketchbook: Helzon's SB: update 11-18-06, Lights are out, doors closed. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Helzon's SB: update 11-18-06, Lights are out, doors closed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helzon, great work in here. I really like the line work in the back study of the girl from the start of the thread. Your creatures are top notch but I agree about the crit about your people/humans. The anatomy seems to be missing from some of those. Keep at 'em ok? Life studies are really a great way to learn. The toony style is excellent. The colors will come, just keep lookin' and workin'. Think about lighting more if you can. That last colored image is just too dark. You could push some areas to really make it work better. Keep at it, dude.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome line work man. I love Merman2, margewip1, and the abyssal maggot. The abyssal maggot really stands out, I love both the background and the creature. Its a very good image.

Your color images seem overall dark... (except for the abyssal maggot). Maybe you could try to have the figures a lot brighter than the background, like the maggot, so they would pop out more.

Cheers, really looking forward for the next update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebzfree: Thanks man...I appreciate that...along with the crit...have been studying and practicing some color theory offline...have been intrigued by complimentary shadows...It seems that they have a great quality about them.
    Will keep at it!...thanks for stopping by.

Broken: Hey bro...I wish I could get updated on notifications like I used to..but jeez..can't seem to buy one these days...sorry for the late get back...Thanks for the kindness man...Yeah...with the new color theory..I hope to get some color posts on the way...but I've got 9 more sketchies to go for the week. So let me plough through those and see what happens.
    Cheers! and Happy Holidays!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mike good to see new work from you (even if it's not in person)!

great dimensionality to the last guy, wicked crustacean critter.

Have you been doing more color work? (I haven't checked the 'OW's lately, are you entering them?)

B

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dope update bro!
    keep pushing that lead my man!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bdub!: Hey!!..thanks for poppin in...yeah I did some color studies for work...they wanted a character all painted up..I could PM-or email you a copy of the files if you want. As for the OW's I haven't gotten to them yet...it's been a hectic nightmare..between the holiday nonsense and trying to get the said work done. And besides..the little queen Redehlert roped me into doing 10 sketches a week....keep your frilly panties on! they're getting done...j/k LOL

Red: your grace....lead is being pushed and the Cow's sound hysterical...I will see if I have time to get one together. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now why is it I haven't seen your stuff before? Regardless, I know exactly how it is with the whole "1 step forward, 2 steps back" (no ref to Paula Abdul or Family Guy) I took 30 giant steps backwards with my work this past year. There are times that you need to do that realistic evaluation of your skill level and then assess which areas you need the most improvement in. Unfortunately I needed to make drastic improvements in all them if I want to get a job in the industry. Either way, keep up the good work bro, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks as though we may have to create a gang of four SB tribute for myself and mike (undertow) and mike (helzon) and bwkeough. east meets west.
    what say you? all for one and one for....um....yeah.
    if all is good, i'll add the sb thread for bwkeough.
    peace!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With what I saw on your SB Mike..your talent is like a fuckin neutron bomb ready to hit critical mass....I feel like a sloppy impressionist little next to those lines.
    I understand man as to the journey and the back and forth struggle...and I wish you nothing but the best in getting a job in the industry...jesus..if they aren't crashing in your door..there's something badly wrong with the industry...
    Best to ya!
    -Mike D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dave,
    Yeah, it sounds great man! I don't think Brendan (bwkeough) would object to having his SB on the siggy line...I will get Mike's (Undertow's) on mine immediately!
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aiight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice fucking stuff man, traditional pieces really rock.
    keep it up!

eri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Eriboss: Will do and thanks for scoping this stuff...I appreciate it..and happy holidays to ya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike/Helzon--

Awesome stuff. The pencil work is simply killer. Makes me want to find a way to drag myself to the NB diner even more. Looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bdfoster: Hey boss, we've got a seat open for you...anytime you want to drop in on the NBD sketch night it's all good. Truth be told...I talk more than I sketch...bad habit of mine...but would be great to meet ya. btw thanks for the kind words..and stoppin in..should have a fresh sketch up tonight...Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay..here's one from work....3 headed Cerberus Dire Bear....Went with the accidental tourist for scale. I look forward to any feedback...Cheers!

Last edited by Helzon; December 28th, 2005 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mike!
    rotate the gravitational line of this bear about 3-4° clockwise. I keep getting the feeling that it's off balance. if it doesn't look any better, then at least ya tried.
    i dig it!
    cheers,
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By that bro..I think you mean rotate the upper body forward toward the luscious little blonde...??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mike - red's telling ya to rotate the whole image to get more of his weight over his feet (I was going to tell you that, too, but I'm fashionably late to the party )

get some reference of grizzly paws, I want to say they have 5 digits per, and the claws are thinner and even more hooked.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah, it kicks butt, I forget to say so. I like how the fur pattern suggests individual sentience of the heads.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would make her a red head.
    yeah, rotate entire being just like bee stated. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches! I really like your Creatures. they have nice movement, and texture.
    I can see you working more on your color combonations, pushing values in your finished peices, and varying your textures so it doesn't look photoshoped.You started doing that in the slugg painting, with the mountain.
    Nice work!! Keep it up!,

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your work, hmmmmm . Although maybe a few figure sketches would be good. But not vital. Monsters a good.

If you always get up late, you'll never be on time --Broken Social Scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys...got him tipped over at a 5º clockwise gravitational rotation with respect to the geocentric nexus of the third planet from the sun...
    LOL....j/k...
    Thanks for the kind words and great crits!..and yeah..the claws are buggered...they have 5 digits per paw..I will have to dig up better reference...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! top notch...
    great clear lines you have..
    but i want to add a tiny crit here: i feel that some of your works are too uniform in the name of focus; it's hard to recognize the subject although the drawing is contaning everypart very well. I don't know how to fix it (maybe line weight or shading can help, : ) too broad suggestions) but i feel that way.
    Lastly, the last cerberus bear is great, both the drawing and the concept. It seems there are more things around that makes the heads looking different ways like checking every direction.
    Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much better mike. i can feel the gravity now. much more stable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poise: Wow...I'm honored that you stopped by and dropped a note. I appreciate the kind words and will be sure to keep the color items coming along, seems to be my shakiest ground...but with Red and bw keeping my head out of the clouds I'm sure it will cohese. Again thank you.

Tullie: hey there! I agree figure studies would probably break up the monotony of monsters and hone my skills...however, that's what I do at work usually...nothing but humans...so..it's kinda fun to break out and stuff an extra head on something... Thanks for all the kindness, I appreciate it!

schowalye: I think I know what you are saying...in other words try shooting things from different and unusual points of view...(?) I agree it would add far more spice and take the predictability out of things. In terms of detail...I am a freak about that stuff..empty space and me are not friends.
    Thanks for those ideas...I will be sure to try and get things from differing POV's. Cheers!

P.s. Dave, ok..just for you and seeing as I didn't send you a gift for Christmas, she's a redhead...buttercup...LOL!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, ha, where the hell did you get the inspiration for that one from the 20th? That guy is cool and interesting in so many ways. He's kind of disgusting yet, seems intelligent in some way. Very nice. Oh, and he/she/it is rendered exceptionally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I didn't see the "off balance" version of the bear, all I can say is "Sweet!!"

You said you draw people all day... Can I ask where you work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet: bro...It was more of an exercise than anything else really...just trying to pull the form in 3D...and make it as volumetric and unusual as I could. I would like to say that it was more profound than that...but I would by lying...
    Hey bd! Thanks man...in hindsight yeah the balance was way off...it's a shock what even 5º difference can make (must thank his eminence Redehlert). As for work, sure man...workin on a HL2 mod with a bunch of brigands at Blackwater Software..with the hopes that it will see the light of day sometime this year. (crossing fingers). Cheers! -Mike

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2