Anyone here good at speakers?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anyone here good at speakers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone here good at speakers?

Oi

anyone here that know alot about speakers?
    i wanna buy a speaker system for homecinema,
    any recomendations?
    the price limit is 4000
    since i dont know anything at all,

thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For really high end audio? Onkyo or Bose. Bunch of my friends have Bose systems in their homes. It sounds a lot better than my dinky Phillips system. The sounds are really clean and base hits well. But your sound will depend on how acoustic your room is. For example stucco walls versus wood. Also placement is really important depending on what you have in the room, how your walls are angled. Good luck.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some serious poundage to be spending on speakers!

In addition to Bose, I would highly recommend high-end studio monitors like Klipsch and Altec-Lansing. In my experience, they are outstanding in performance, as well as craftsmanship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have spent alot of time researching speakers.......too much time actually.
    First off DONT BUY F***ING BOSE!!!! they are trash. Well thats not true, they are over priced mid-class speakers with lots of fancy names slapped on them, but they are no were near audiophile.
    Are you planning to buy speakers for your pc or a ht setup to a reciever???
    With 400$ you can get very good digital pc speakers but garbage HT speakers. Personally i spent about 3 times more on my HT setup than i did on my car and at low levels it can still compare to the high-mid surround aspects that i get with my logitech z680 5.1.

Tell me more what your looking for as far as sound is concerned (highs/lows/ atmospherical/max output/SS)

Do you want a 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.0, 7.1, 9.1?

what kind of place do you live at, certain speakers will blast their excess bass excursion output against the walls and in appartments this will drive your nieghbors crazy.

what are you going to use it for, movies, music games, presentation.....

Peace,
    Vincent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a trip over to http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php or http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/. They can help you out over there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am member of both those forums. for the most part you will get alot of information and opinions but very little of it will be useful since most of these people have not actually listened to most of the systems. But there are a few that know there thit. Also on HTS forum you find alot of people advertising.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man, don't buy bose if you got the money not too, they aren't in the same league as the hi-fi stuff.

Monitor audio do some lovely speakers! I've got some silver 8i's, and they are lovely.

Buy some good speakers but the money is in the amps.
    Musical fidelity produce some AWESOME amps, best stuff i've heard.
    Audiolab make some sweet sounding beauties.
    Linn produce some really clean stuff, but to me it lacks emotion.
    REL produce some really nice subs, i heard a really nice one a few months ago in this local showroom, but it was like 1.4k, ha ha.
    etc the list goes on, but go to a shop and they'll be happy to help.

But yeah, research in what kind of room/space/shape is really important.
    Positoning etc

-B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If i had about 400$ for a OOTB Ht system to spend today. I would go buy the onkyo (HT-S780). Onkyo is well know for their high quality recivers but you will not find a cheaper 7.1 speaker setup anywere. This retails for 500$ at circut city(I dont know why the Circut city sells it, Its the only good audio product they carry) but thats if you want to go pick it up today. Other wise i would order it from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=369640

Remeber though, With all audio products its 80% you get what you pay for. 400$ speakers are 400$ speakers. the reason i would save up a bit more for this onkyo setup is because in the lower price ranger 50-1000$ speakers tend to jump a level every 200$.

Good luck

Peace
    -Vincent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by centripetal
    I have spent alot of time researching speakers.......too much time actually.
    First off DONT BUY F***ING BOSE!!!! they are trash. Well thats not true, they are over priced mid-class speakers with lots of fancy names slapped on them, but they are no were near audiophile.
    Are you planning to buy speakers for your pc or a ht setup to a reciever???
    With 400$ you can get very good digital pc speakers but garbage HT speakers. Personally i spent about 3 times more on my HT setup than i did on my car and at low levels it can still compare to the high-mid surround aspects that i get with my logitech z680 5.1.

Tell me more what your looking for as far as sound is concerned (highs/lows/ atmospherical/max output/SS)

Do you want a 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.0, 7.1, 9.1?

what kind of place do you live at, certain speakers will blast their excess bass excursion output against the walls and in appartments this will drive your nieghbors crazy.

what are you going to use it for, movies, music games, presentation.....

Peace,
    Vincent
    Hey thanks for the answear,
    ive talked around in a few shops, they all recommend either cerwin vega or b&w.
    im planning on a 5.1 but im not sure, its mainly to use for movies and music,
    the cerwin vega seems nice, but it looks like its more for disco and pa, but i might be wrong, since i dont know much about it.

what would you recomend? the place were i plan to use it is in a house, so the neighbour problem does not really exist.
    since its about 1mile to them

and i want clear sharp sound but with a good power bas, i like when things in the room starts to jump around when a explosion accurs on the screen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you better go get your ass a Denon system. you cant go wrong. http://www.usa.denon.com/

high end.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Denon is a very overpriced system in general. Polk audio makes excellent audio gear. My uncle used to have Bose fronts, Infinity center channel, Polk rears wih a yamaha powered sub and Monster cables connecting everything together. It sounded amazing.. the best Ive ever heard in a HT. Onkyo makes great audio. If you have the money to spend, Cerwin Vegas are great as well. Im getting the Logitech z-5450 for christmas.. they just came out so im a little worried but they are wireless which was the closer for me.. The z-5500 i understand were amazing. Good luck..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its kinda funny you said not to get Denon and go with Polk. If your gonna get some cheap Polk you might as well get Kenwood. with high end Audio you get what you pay for.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm, well not too be rude but thats not true.. High end means more expensive not better... Sound is more a matter of taste alot of the time... some people like more bass others like more highs... Denon is highly over rated its something that i have read and spoken to people whom have owned them... And i never said not to go with Denon and go with Polk. I said Polk makes excellent audio.

Check this site out for some relly high end audio
    http://www.harveyonline.com/

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, it seems like ill go with the cerwin vegas then,
    thanks for the help

peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you haven't bought 'em yet... I recommend going to whichever store you're going to and listen to different speakers.. they probably have listeningrooms... just bring the music you listen to and play it on different setups (both amps and speakers).. I've got a pair of B&W605S2's, and I'm very happy with 'em... they're WAY under your pricerange, though..hehe.. but give the different speakers a listen!

d-C

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.