Sketchbook: Dimension's sketches, life drawings, studies, etc.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dimension's sketches, life drawings, studies, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dimension's sketches, life drawings, studies, etc.

I guess I'll start with an introduction since I've hardly posted here at all. I consider myself self taught. I've had some quality guidance here and there. I did go to an art school in Vancouver for a year, but that was just frustrating. Anything I learned then, I learned in the evening after classes. Anyway, it looks like I'm going to Vancouver Film School in 3 months in the Classical Animation Department. Then I'll learn something.
    I'm kind of all over the place right now, but maybe that's a good thing. I'd like to be either an animator or concept artist, or something along those lines.
    Let me know what you think. I'm really trying to improve my designs, and rendering techniques right now, among everything else, but getting an original, nice looking design out of my head is the hardest. Anyway, be honest, hurt my feelings! Some nice things would be good too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start dude! Dig the critter. Very good studies too. Only crit i got is the warriors arms seem a tad small. I like your stuff - keep it up!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Dimension. I think you are certainly talented and motivated artist. I looked at you work with pleasure and want to see more. Fish is great, I don't know how it was born but in any case you should be very proud papa. It has so much humor and personality, and details ( Oh, the prettiest warts ever!). Rendering is great and so ideal for this image, in my opinion. Because of the truthful silhouette and the rendering the creature has a volume and kind of protruding out of paper. I would like to save it on my computer, OK?
    Buildings look ready to be colored.
    I really like the figure studies for smooth flowing lines and silhouettes. I would say though that, in my opinion, in many figures torso looks too short comparing to legs. But again I'm not that good in detecting that. Really beautiful drawing of the knee.
    So please post more, how are you with colors?
    Sveta dudetta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fellah: The arms do look a bit small, especially on the bottom warrior guy. I think I was trying to make the arm recede into the distance, but it didn't really work.

sve: I was kind of surprised when you called the top drawing a fish, but I can see why now. It was kind of inspired by a pig, but those lips really make it fishy. I did that drawing a couple days ago after watching Neville Page's DVD. I didn't copy what he drew or anything, just gave his technique a whirl with my own design. Really great DVD BTW.
    I'm sure my figures proportions aren't perfect, but they should get better with practice.
    I should really start working with a bit of colour. I put it off for a few months to just work on my drawing. Maybe when I buy a new wacom. My 4x5 is too small.
    I don't mind at all if you save any of my drawings.

Thanks for the crits guys. I'll shoot for an update tomorrow. Must keep drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    although your perspective needs some help, those hogarth studies are really nice. great job. i hope you are learning a lot! keep posting and drawing!

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I copied this from the cover of one of the Loomis books. Can't remember which one. I used an old Crayola black I found lying around. I'll try to post more this evening.

ApolloNuevo: Yep, learning lots. Glad you like my studies. You're right, my perspective does need some help. I understand it thoroughly, just need to practice using it lots more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more exciting studies! These were both done today, and took a total of maybe 40 minutes. These are studies done from Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis. The woman's back drawing is a bit sloppy for me. I just haven't been drawing enough. I'm just too tired to draw after working all day. Ah well, that'll change soon. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good! Your last studies have good proportions in my eyes. the lines you get with that crayola look very nice, fluid. keep it up!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I like your manner to draw very, very much. It's very beautiful, clear and very interesting to observe. I enjoy how you render and how your construct figure. I especially like the drawing of this woman back, it's graceful. And the portrait of the woman with scarf is lovely and alive. Wish you post more, but I read that you are overworking, Hopefully, things will change for better.
    Sveta Dudetta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the replies, and sorry for the lack of updates. Long and short of it was that I was having computer troubles, but everything is back in order now.

sve: Thank you! What I really have to work at though is bringing the fluidity and life from my studies over into my imaginative stuff. Should come with practice.

Blahm: Thanks!

A small update, more to come this evening maybe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update! These were just doodled at my desk. I think my faces are getting better. Constructing them is beginning to feel more "natural", and less technical, if you know what I mean. I'll try not to let my sketchbook go without updates that long again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I thought I should revive my thread. I'm getting a lot done now so I'll keep my page up to date. The dragon was done for school for a villain design, and the second was done at school between classes. Hope you like em'! C&C very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some stuff done durring my free time. I know the quality kinda sucks, but I only have a camera right now. C&C welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.